• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Buzz Williams leaving Marquette for VA Tech

Started by Dave_2010, March 21, 2014, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: Dave_2010 on March 24, 2014, 09:58:43 PM

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 24, 2014, 08:43:48 PM
I thought Valpo was getting closer to 4500 students.  I must be wrong on that.  I must be reading too much Valpo propaganda.

I think the total number is approaching that level, but a good deal of it is coming via the law and MBA programs. Similar to the strategy that Concordia-WI has used to either jumped or at least come close to us for #2 largest Lutheran school nationally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Concordia Wisconsin has more students butthey are all over the place.  Valpo has the largest number of students at one location among Lutheran institutions
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

yes, but isn't the only difference in the then and now stats "B----r"?

so...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

They're not a D1 school, so as far as I'm concerned, they don't even exist.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on March 24, 2014, 10:22:33 PMConcordia Wisconsin has more students butthey are all over the place
pretty sure that's an openly flagrant violation of Missouri Synod teaching
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 24, 2014, 10:29:45 PMyes, but isn't the only difference in the then and now stats "B----r"?

UWM had a run to sweet 16 during that span.  During that time period there was another HL 1st round victory other than Butler.  Several times Butler made it into the dance as an at-large bid as they did not win the conference. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Man, if Buzz Williams finds out about this thread he will be very impressed to think we devoted 55 posts to his leaving!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 24, 2014, 10:39:25 AM
First off there are things to be pissed off about, and this isn't one of them. Disappointed, sure, pissed off, not so much. ??? As for where Valpo should be now, who knows because there was no effort to change anything or to increase the strength of the program. Valpo is clearly okay with that so it is what it is. Butler parlayed 2 incredible tournament runs into a Big East Invite. Horizon to A10 to Big East. That's amazing, but they're in a different world than VU. Butler is in Indianapolis vs. Valparaiso, IN. BIG Difference. That being said, with what Valpo has done to enhance the program it would be ridiculous to even attempt to join those ranks.

As for respecting the over used term "Mid Major" basketball, I certainly do, however...there's a difference between Mid Major and non BCS teams. Wichita State, Gonzaga, and VCU are Mid Majors. Butler and Xavier used to be Mid Majors before they joined the Big East. The term Major is overused in my opinion.

I would have to agree with Milan's comments in this respect.  I don't think the move to the HL was necessarily an indication that there was a commitment to strengthen the VU's basketball program in general by the University.  IMO, all that the move to the HL did was put VU in a position that it was at (or slightly above where it was at) before the Mid-Con nearly fell apart in 1994.  In other words, from a conference affiliation standpoint, the move to the HL made Valpo whole again. That's it--nothing more and nothing less.  Sure, travel was reduced and the quality of the programs increased after the move to the HL.  But when you look at where the Mid-Con was after 1995 and what the conference had to do to secure its automatic bid, in that context nearly any move to a new conference by VU from where the old Mid-Con was after 1994 would have potentially strengthened the program anyway in this regard.  A strength by default, and not necessarily by University commitment.

From a conference affiliation standpoint, we always talk about how the HL was superior than the post 1994 Mid-Con because of its ability to obtain multiple bids to the NCAA tournament.  However, what is often lost in this discussion is that the old Mid-Con was a multiple bid league in the late 80's and early 90's too prior to 1994.  Strength can be relative, depending upon the context.

ARCInsider

Still waiting for someone to provide a legitimate route Valpo could have gone in the past or now that would be an upgrade over the HL.

a3uge

Keeping on the Marquette topic:

Lol this guy, Panther "Done Deal" U, never learns.

ARCInsider

"Always believe the best source"---so much wrong here.

oklahomamick

Quote from: ARCInsider on March 25, 2014, 09:35:09 AMStill waiting for someone to provide a legitimate route Valpo could have gone in the past or now that would be an upgrade over the HL.

Don't know if we could have done anything different.  Maybe when the Valley was on the campuses of Loyola, UIC and Valpo, we could have put something in their pockets.... 
CRUSADERS!!!

ARCInsider

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 25, 2014, 10:01:52 AM
Quote from: ARCInsider on March 25, 2014, 09:35:09 AMStill waiting for someone to provide a legitimate route Valpo could have gone in the past or now that would be an upgrade over the HL.

Don't know if we could have done anything different.  Maybe when the Valley was on the campuses of Loyola, UIC and Valpo, we could have put something in their pockets....

Unless we were going to magically transport our campus into the heart of Chicago, we were never getting that invite to the MVC.

Being mad at Valpo for not taking options that never existed is like hating yourself for not dating Kate Upton.

oklahomamick

Quote from: ARCInsider on March 25, 2014, 10:06:19 AMBeing mad at Valpo for not taking options that never existed is like hating yourself for not dating Kate Upton.

Well said.  Not mad at Valpo, becaues I understand we weren't getting inviting to the Valley. 

Mad at HL for not being the same competitive conference it was prior and at the time of our entrance. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 25, 2014, 10:33:30 AM
Quote from: ARCInsider on March 25, 2014, 10:06:19 AMBeing mad at Valpo for not taking options that never existed is like hating yourself for not dating Kate Upton.

Well said.  Not mad at Valpo, becaues I understand we weren't getting inviting to the Valley. 

Mad at HL for not being the same competitive conference it was prior and at the time of our entrance.

I mean, it's kind of our fault too. We didn't get it done last year at Nebraska, we couldn't get a big win against New Mexico or SLU, and we dropped a huge turd against Loyola in the first conf game of the year. I know we were inexplicably given a 14 seed over Montana, and got a bad draw for a 14 seed on top of that, but had we won some of those game we might have been playing OK St, Kansas St, Wisconsin, or UNLV in the Dance instead, all of which didn't last very long.

Not that last season wasn't a success, we made it to the tourney for the first time in the HL, but we did miss the opportunity to do something truly great and memorable. Green Bay and Wright State had that chance as well this year with their seniors and absolutely pissed that down the toilet. Hopefully in 3 years we're sitting atop the Horizon with our seniors discussing if we're good enough for an at-large, but to say that this scenario isn't possible in this league is a huge farce.

valpopal

Brian Wardle was named by some as a possible candidate for the Marquette position. He now has also been named as a finalist for the Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award, which honors "those who achieve on the basketball court but who display moral integrity off it as well."

"The finalists also include Roman Banks (Southern University), John Becker (Vermont), Glenn Braica (St. Francis Brooklyn), Dick Hunsaker (Utah Valley), Tony Jasick (IPFW), Joe Jones (Boston University), Mike Krzyzewski (Duke), Paul Lusk (Missouri State), Phil Martelli (St. Joseph's), Randy Rahe (Weber State), Monte Ross (Delaware), Wayne Tinkle (Montana), Michael White (Louisiana Tech), Jay Wright (Villanova)."

http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22500&ATCLID=209444366

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on March 25, 2014, 11:09:12 AM
Brian Wardle was named by some as a possible candidate for the Marquette position. He now has also been named as a finalist for the Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award, which honors "those who achieve on the basketball court but who display moral integrity off it as well."

"The finalists also include Roman Banks (Southern University), John Becker (Vermont), Glenn Braica (St. Francis Brooklyn), Dick Hunsaker (Utah Valley), Tony Jasick (IPFW), Joe Jones (Boston University), Mike Krzyzewski (Duke), Paul Lusk (Missouri State), Phil Martelli (St. Joseph's), Randy Rahe (Weber State), Monte Ross (Delaware), Wayne Tinkle (Montana), Michael White (Louisiana Tech), Jay Wright (Villanova)."

http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22500&ATCLID=209444366

Man of the Year Award? Hahahha

valpotx

You have got to be f***ing kidding me about him even being within 100 miles of the Skip Prosser award.  It's an absolute joke that he is even mentioned with anything moral...

Also, I never believe what PantherU puts out, as demonstrated by his announcement that both Loyola AND UIC would be in the MVC last season, as it was also a 'done deal'  :lol:
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

Don't forget his Bryce to Northwestern sure thing.  :'(

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2014, 11:26:56 AM
You have got to be f***ing kidding me about him even being within 100 miles of the Skip Prosser award.  It's an absolute joke that he is even mentioned with anything moral...

Also, I never believe what PantherU puts out, as demonstrated by his announcement that both Loyola AND UIC would be in the MVC last season, as it was also a 'done deal'  :lol:

No, it was JUST UIC. Lol. That guys a wreck, glad he stopped trolling here.

usc4valpo

Valpo is not Missouri Synod anymore, if my memory serves me correct

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo link=topic=1812.msg44298#msg44now has strong ties298 date=1395767522

Never was, has always been an independent Lutheran University.  Now, the facts are that it was started by a bunch of LCMS folks and was always (until probably the last 25 years or so) heavily supported by the LCMS, but now has strong tied to both the LCMS and ELCA.  Mark Heckler is the first non-LCMS member (he belongs to the CA) and only the econd non-clergy to be President.

ARCInsider

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2014, 12:12:02 PM

Talks are ongoing for Valpo to move to the Missouri Synod and from what I hear, this is a done deal.

Kyle321n

Quote from: ARCInsider on March 25, 2014, 01:28:44 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2014, 12:12:02 PMValpo is not Missouri Synod anymore, if my memory serves me correct
Talks are ongoing for Valpo to move to the Missouri Synod and from what I hear, this is a done deal.

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 25, 2014, 01:47:58 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2014, 12:12:02 PMValpo is not Missouri Synod anymore, if my memory serves me correct

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

a3uge

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 25, 2014, 01:47:58 PM

Lmao

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk