• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lexus Williams Torn ACL

Started by Kyle321n, September 11, 2014, 12:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

[tweet]510117304206913537[/tweet]

[tweet]510117598990983168[/tweet]

[tweet]510117932333297664[/tweet]

[tweet]510119131199598594[/tweet]

This sucks, but I wouldn't mind getting an extra year of Lexus if he redshirts.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Wow. Hope the Canadians are good. I guess this cements Carter in at starting point guard, and it happened at a position we are deeper at.

FWalum

Don't even think about trying to come back this season.  Please Red Shirt!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on September 11, 2014, 01:34:25 PM
Wow. Hope the Canadians are good. I guess this cements Carter in at starting point guard, and it happened at a position we are deeper at.
[/quote)

Remember the discussion on their total eligibility?  They are listed as frehman on the roster page.  We are very deep at the point.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Surprised and sorry to learn this. Lexus apparently suffered the injury almost a month ago but he looked to be walking fine around campus since then. Also, I'm guessing the just released season tickets promo video in which he appears with Alec and Jubril might have been done after the injury happened. Not an MD, but I hope this means the tear isn't as severe and bodes well for complete recovery.

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on September 11, 2014, 04:32:34 PM
Surprised and sorry to learn this. Lexus apparently suffered the injury almost a month ago but he looked to be walking fine around campus since then. Also, I'm guessing the just released season tickets promo video in which he appears with Alec and Jubril might have been done after the injury happened. Not an MD, but I hope this means the tear isn't as severe and bodes well for complete recovery.

I tore my ACL playing basketball professionally (... not really)  and didn't have surgery until 2 years later. If you remember, RGIII tore his ACL and still played playoff games (not very effectively). It could mean he didn't get an MRI until a month later, or he hasn't had the surgery yet.

bbtds

The more I think about it this will open up a logjam at the guard position.

I would never wish injury to Lexus but this could be Carter's chance to really shine.

Bryce might be driving a souped up Carter's Lumber Truck while his Lexus is in the shop but it could very well carry a bigger load if it's not having to be used to help wash the Lexus.

Good wishes and God's blessings to Mr. Williams during his recovery.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on September 12, 2014, 11:04:03 PMThe more I think about it this will open up a logjam at the guard position.
Actually, I think the opposite is true.

Consider:  rather than perhaps redshirting one of the Canadian freshmen--creating two years of space between Lexus and the heir apparent--they will now have to do the opposite and redshirt Lexus.

Result:  we now will have 3 guards in the class of 2018. 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdElfelJobS1BOXVfU09YU19UbENmdWc&pli=1#gid=0

THEN we have to consider that can Keith Carter handle the point for 30 mpg AND be the shutdown defender on the other end of the court?  That takes a lot out of a guy, you know.

To me, the only positive is that Lexus Williams 2017-18 > Lexus Williams 2014-15.  Cold comfort.

(Also, we all thought "too many guards" when Damien Walker signed, but I bet his minutes might just've jumped from 0 to 20.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 13, 2014, 08:56:47 AM
Quote from: bbtds on September 12, 2014, 11:04:03 PMThe more I think about it this will open up a logjam at the guard position.
Actually, I think the opposite is true.

Consider:  rather than perhaps redshirting one of the Canadian freshmen--creating two years of space between Lexus and the heir apparent--they will now have to do the opposite and redshirt Lexus.

Result:  we now will have 3 guards in the class of 2018. 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdElfelJobS1BOXVfU09YU19UbENmdWc&pli=1#gid=0

THEN we have to consider that can Keith Carter handle the point for 30 mpg AND be the shutdown defender on the other end of the court?  That takes a lot out of a guy, you know.

To me, the only positive is that Lexus Williams 2017-18 > Lexus Williams 2014-15.  Cold comfort.

(Also, we all thought "too many guards" when Damien Walker signed, but I bet his minutes might just've jumped from 0 to 20.)

So in your view we are substituting Damien Walker 2014-15 for Lexus Williams 2014-15 AND Lexus Williams 2017-18 for Tevonn Walker 2017-18.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on September 13, 2014, 10:15:08 AM
So in your view we are substituting Damien Walker 2014-15 for Lexus Williams 2014-15 AND Lexus Williams 2017-18 for Tevonn Walker 2017-18.
No, I think that's an oversimplification thereof.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 13, 2014, 05:43:25 PM
First off- I should obviously know better than to step in between these two------but, it is clear to all of us that this issue is being Walkerd completely out of bounds.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on September 13, 2014, 06:51:13 PM
First off- I should obviously know better than to step in between these two------but, it is clear to all of us that this issue is being Walkerd completely out of bounds.

I think we all know where this is headed.

LEFT!!!!

bbtds

Habakkuk 2:18

Chairback

I believe this is a huge blow to this year's team, one that will drop up us 2 places in league standings at the end.  Lexus was a huge spark to the team last year and when he was in the game we played at a great tempo.  It's been a long time where we had a point guard who was extremely fast and who can shoot the ball.  He came in as a freshman and was extremely confident and was not timid.

Of all of the players that were coming back I was most excited to see him the most.  With him and Keith on the court together and their speed we could compensate slightly for our lack of height problems.

Hopefully we will be surprised with the new guards but Lexus is going to be tough to replace.

vu72

Quote from: Chairback on September 14, 2014, 09:55:52 AM
I believe this is a huge blow to this year's team, one that will drop up us 2 places in league standings at the end.  Lexus was a huge spark to the team last year and when he was in the game we played at a great tempo. It's been a long time where we had a point guard who was extremely fast and who can shoot the ball. He came in as a freshman and was extremely confident and was not timid.

Of all of the players that were coming back I was most excited to see him the most.  With him and Keith on the court together and their speed we could compensate slightly for our lack of height problems.

Hopefully we will be surprised with the new guards but Lexus is going to be tough to replace.

Just wanted to revisit this subject with the injury to Keith.  Interesting that Todd, during the broadcast, wondered if Lexus might return if Keith was done for the year and that without either, we had very little chance to win a championship.

Not to pick on chairback, as his comments above were probably spot on relative to expectations with Lexus out.  I'm sure this was based on the experience of watching Keith play the previous 1/2 year.

I agree that it has been a long time since we have had a point guard who was both fast and could shoot.  I always thought Erik Buggs was as good a point as we have had--if he could shoot.  He couldn't.  Now that we've seen Keith Carter, 2014-2015 version, I'll venture that he is as good a point as we've had--not counting Bryce of course. 

Keith is playing at a level superior to Lexus' numbers as follows:

PPG  9.7    versus   6.5
RPG  4.1        "       2.1
APG  3.8        "       2.4
TPG  2.0        "       1.7
APT  1.9        "       1.4
FG% 50.0     "      38.0
3FG  41.9     "      33.7
SPG  1.5       "        1.0

The only lesser number is in free throws where Lexus shot at 78.8 and Keith is at 57.9  This is in part because Keith has only shot 19 FTs and Lexus shot 66 last year.  Keith most likely will be near 70% by year end.

Now, obviously Keith is playing more minutes at 29.1 MPG while Lexus played 23.4 MPG last year.

It will be fun to see these guys on the floor together next year.  It will give Coach Drew lots of options.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

also, remember when everyone thought we had too many guards?  yikes.

vu72

On another note, we now are averaging 14 assts and 12 turnovers.  That is the lowest average turnovers since at least 2001-2002.  We haven't had more assts then turnovers since 2011-2012!  We have had less then 7 tos in 3 of our last 6!  Bravo!!

VULB#62

Now to just kick up the FT%    ::)

LaPorteAveApostle

Chairback

I really like Lexus Williams.  I thought he was excellent last year as a freshman and was really looking forward to him playing this year.   He brought a lot of energy to the team last year and thought he played great defense.  I believe that if he played in the Missouri game we would have won.  Keith had a horrible night and we got 10 mins of unproductive play from Max.

Even if he is healthy at some point this season it would make no sense for him to play.  I want a full 3 years left with this kid.

I also did not expect E.Victor to be able able to play the point at the beginning of the season. 

chef

Keith will not be out for the season, so that point about Lexus coming back is moot.

oklahomamick

Quote from: chef on January 05, 2015, 11:27:34 PMKeith will not be out for the season, so that point about Lexus coming back is moot.

What is the latest on Keith?  I haven't heard anything?
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

How long does a dislocated toe take to heal?
A dislocated toe can recover in as little as one to two weeks if reset quickly, more moderate or severe dislocations take longer, however most dislocations have fully healed within six weeks. The after effect of a dislocated joint is that the joint is lax and more prone to injury and you may feel it is always on the point of dislocating even after minor knocks. Recurrent dislocations of the same joint may require surgical intervention although this is rare for the toe and more commonly used in ankle dislocations.

http://www.clinic-hq.co.uk/article_46_Dislocated+Toe#5

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 06, 2015, 09:21:39 PMWhat is the latest on Keith?  I haven't heard anything?
Nor should you expect to! I mean did they tell us anything about Chadwick? Nope! Historically the less they can tell us about mishaps and injuries the happier the coaches seem to be.

I once had this nightmare that a couple of our players actually died and the staff then had them stuffed (mounted) in seated positions so that they could be trotted out on game days. When asked about their lethargy Bryce would reply simply that they were "working through some issues".   ::)

valpopal

While we are on the subject of players' injuries, I just wanted to pass along one related observation. When Carter was lying on the court in pain the other day and I snapped my photo that I shared of Rod Moore tending to Keith, it immediately crossed my mind how fortunate to have Valpo's athletes in the hands of someone so experienced and caring. In fact, if he continues in his position until Alec Peters graduates, Rod will have served as head athletic trainer 50 years! Each time I have had a chance to engage in conversation with him, my respect and admiration for the man has grown.