• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Smits Commits to Valpo!

Started by valpopal, October 06, 2014, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on January 03, 2015, 01:20:11 AM
Quote from: a3uge on January 01, 2015, 11:38:50 PMI watched on that link for 5 minutes. He seemed pretty pedestrian, and didn't appear to be a high-motor player.

Smits did seem to be laboring in the games on Thursday and Friday, though he still scored a combined 36 points in those games; however, it should be noted that Derrik apparently was playing despite having the flu.

Zionsville vs Bedford 9:30 a.m. EASTERN Richmond Red Devil Team 1 Sports Zionsville vs BNL 9:30 a.m. EST 1/3/2015

Derrik seems to be laboring greatly in this game.

EDIT: Stars get it to OT as Derrik committed foul with about 40 secs left and then Zville could not get there shot to go after running the clock down. Derrik didn't touch the ball in Eagles last possession.

FINAL: Zionsville 51, Bedford 45 OT
Derrik nailed 2 FT's easily with seconds remaining to ice the game. He also corralled the final rebound.

bbtds

Zionsville will play one more game at Richmond HS against either HHHS or FWDwenger at 4:30 p.m. EASTERN.

Richmond Red Devil Team 1 Sports Broadcasts Zionsville vs Hamilton Heights 4:30 p.m. EST 1/3/2015

Valpo HS will play at 3:30 p.m. EASTERN against Norwell at Earlham College. I don't believe that game will have live video but you can check broadcast schedule to see.

It will be interesting to see if Derrik has anything left in the tank in the 4th game of the 3 day tournament. I wonder if Busick will play him since he was so lethargic against Bedford. Although he still easily made the difference in the game. Derrik even when he could hardly move a Bedford player except by putting his head on the player's chest and then backing off to make space to catch a pass.

wh

Zionsville beat Noblesville last night 55-41. Derrik scored 21 points, 4 over his season average.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on January 17, 2015, 05:28:20 PM
Zionsville beat Noblesville last night 55-41. Derrik scored 21 points, 4 over his season average.

Zionsville was playing at tough Columbus North tonight and I haven't heard that result yet.

Another important game tonight was the Marion County tournament semi-final as Indy Pike beat Southport in 4 OTs 92-86. That was a heck of a finish on channel 40 here in Indy.

wh

wh

I think this is what they call "playing above the rim" (from last night's game against Hamilton Southeastern):

http://twitter.com/TomMarronPhoto/status/558830708769443840/photo/1

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on January 24, 2015, 08:00:34 AM
I think this is what they call "playing above the rim" (from last night's game against Hamilton Southeastern):

haha.  Will we be throwing the same alley hoops as we do Vashil? 
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 25, 2015, 01:20:03 PM
Quote from: wh on January 24, 2015, 08:00:34 AM

haha.  Will we be throwing the same alley hoops as we do Vashil? 

If he made that basket it was the difference in the game. Final score Z 38, HSE 37.

bbtds

[thought this post should be in this thread too]

Speaking of the 7 footer from Zionsville, the Z-Eagles haven't lost since the tournament in Richmond. They have beaten HSE, Pike Twp (home of the Teagues), Brownsburg (Hayward's school & where Nored coached) and Decatur Central (the game in my backyard). Unfortunately I missed that game on Saturday because my wife had me going to one of her company dinners where I played on my phone all night.

BTW, Brownsburg beat Carmel in Hamilton Co. earlier.

LaPorteAveApostle

in all of this recruiting, I think something should be said--not only does Bryce & Co. not miss outright on players, they have that important "chef" sense of what the recipe needs.

Calipari et al. just wave a wand and get 5-stars, without much if any thought given to how they work together...that's not really a concern.

but the guys we bring in--whether HS or transfer--really complement one another well.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2015, 11:25:05 AMCalipari et al. just wave a wand and get 5-stars, without much if any thought given to how they work together...that's not really a concern.
I like to calibrate this to "waits for 5 star recruits to line up at his front door and sits there in his easy chair sipping pina coladas while they make their pitch".

justducky

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 09, 2015, 06:13:48 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2015, 11:25:05 AMCalipari et al. just wave a wand and get 5-stars, without much if any thought given to how they work together...that's not really a concern.
I like to calibrate this to "waits for 5 star recruits to line up at his front door and sits there in his easy chair sipping pina coladas while they make their pitch".
Wow! Pina colada breaks instead of coffee! I worked in the wrong profession!

nkvu

Quote from: justducky on February 09, 2015, 06:47:50 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 09, 2015, 06:13:48 PM
Wow! Pina colada breaks instead of coffee! I worked in the wrong profession!

I believe mint juleps would be a more appropriate beverage down here!

bbtds

Zionsville knocked off the black & gold Lebanon Tigers last Thursday at the Eagles Nest, 46-29. I'm afraid a contact at work that helped me report on the Z-Eagles has been off work for a while. I don't have much info lately. Maybe zvillehaze?

On Friday Z takes on the red & white Fishers Tigers in Hamilton County. Fishers is 11-9 but play some tough competition. Z and Fishers are both 5-0 in the Hoosier Crossroads Conf and tied for first. The Eagles, 17-4, have still not lost since the Richmond tournament.

bbtds

from Recruiting 2015 thread:
QuoteButlerHoops recruiting thread has a lot more information on Derrik and followed him for more than 2 years.  Much more info than we have had on our site. Very interesting stuff.
http://butlerhoops.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-146.html

It really sounds like the departure of Brad Stevens to the Boston Celtics is what turned things for the Smits to look at other schools besides Butler. Especially after the issues with Brandon Miller happened.

This tweet from Derrik came just after the Stevens to Boston announcement:
Derrik Smits‏@SmitsDerrik1h
Everytime I visit a new school I realize how much tougher its gunna be to pick in a few years. So many great schools

From Indy Star:
Caught up with Zionsville 6-10 junior Derrik Smits, who recently picked up offers from Butler and Xavier recently. Smits said he talked with Butler coach Brandon Miller on Tuesday and Miller told him his offer was still on the table.

"He told me my offer was still there and they still feel the same about me," said Smits, who rolled his left ankle in Spiece Indy Heat's 65-34 win over the Dallas Mustangs.

Smits said Butler is still one of his "favorite schools" despite Brad Stevens leaving for the Boston Celtics.

"Obviously I'm not a fan that he left, because I love Brad Stevens and he's a great coach and wish him the best at Boston," he said.

Irishdawg:
I feel like if Stevens were still here, Butler would be in a really good position with Smits. Don't have much of a feel for where Miller's at with him, but he's going to have to really work to get him.

ButlerGoalie:
I know that there's animosity between various factions on the site, but this is one thing that is a no-brainer. Low cost, all upside. I understand all that tradition stuff, but hey, you're in the Big East now. It's time to accept some of the razzle-dazzle that entails. You get a pretty good indication of which recruits are serious based on who shows up.

That being said, I think it might be time to punt on Smits. I think our biggest hook to him anyway was Stevens. The fact that he'd rather spend Friday night in Cincy tells you all you need to know I think.

Smits attended the Xavier/Butler game in his junior year

bumba:
I mean Jesus Christ the kid comes to see a game, even though BM and company have cooled on him...yet no communication. Not even a hello or anything. Nicely done.

That's kind of the ultimate "FU" to a recruit. I suppose (and I guess have to trust) that the staff doesn't want him. Because, like, size wouldn't help us at all.

It only goes on to say "Smits has been watched by Butler, Xavier, Clemson, and Purdue recently" but not much context of details. I agree with you, if a recruit comes to a game then have the courtesy to acknowledge the effort.

There were other statements about Brandon Miller's lack of enthusiasm for his job at this time.

FWalum

Some other quote from the ButlerHoops Smits thread after Derrik commited to VU.

butlerfan:
10-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Offer from Valpo

Derrik Smits @SmitsDerrik · 7h 7 hours ago
Official to Valpo this weekend been fun

ButlerGoalie:
10-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Apparently, it was more than just fun.

Derrik Smits @SmitsDerrik
I'm excited to say I've found my future home. For the next four years I will be attending Valparaiso university #Crusaders #valpo

BUcheer:
10-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Another reminder of how much I HATE the ARC. Thank goodness I never have to go there again.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on February 17, 2015, 11:25:32 AMBUcheer:
10-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Another reminder of how much I HATE the ARC. Thank goodness I never have to go there again.

Fantastic!

bbtds

No details on how Smits did against Fishers or Indy Tech.

The battle for the Hoosier Crossroads Conf crown goes to Fishers Tigers by 13, 68-55.

Zionsville goes down a second time in 2 days as they drop a 63-53 decision to Indy Arsenal Tech (located just east of the I-70/65 corridor between 10th St and Michigan St).

bbtds

http://www.timessentinel.com/sports/local_sports/fishers-claims-hoosier-crossroads-title-over-zionsville/article_d2bea79d-2f51-5656-ac03-5ee4b3e5aac8.html

Big play when Derrik's cousin, Cassius Smits-Fransisco is called for a foul and then a technical that sent Fishers into the lead. I'm afraid there is nothing in the online story about Darian Derrik Smits. There is more to the story in the Zionsville Times print edition so that may have something on Derrik.

wh

Derrik had 10.  The next night he had 12 against Indianapolis Tech.  The last time I looked he is averaging 16 ppg for the season.

VULB#62

FB Guy here.  I am ecstatic that Derrik is gonna be our 5 for the next 4 years. CAUTION:  But Because of his frame (he is very lean and long) IMO it will not be until his sophomore/junior year that he will be dominant in the middle -- he needs those 1-2 years to add a little bulk, some strength and, with that, killer confidence. By his sophomore year (and Alec's senior year and Skara's junior year), and with all the great PGs we have we will be awesome across all 5 positions.

It's Friday night and VU and CSU are gonna bang heads:  Go Valpo!

valpopal

[tweet]580141440879083520[/tweet]

humbleopinion

Move over, Chocolate Thunder!
Beamin' Beacons

FWalum

Is this at the house?  I hope that he did not hurt himself!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show