• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Smits Commits to Valpo!

Started by valpopal, October 06, 2014, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, compared with his ethics violation you mentioned above, this is nothing.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: atkins on October 08, 2014, 04:38:12 PMHe's certainly correct that Smits will be a good fit at Valpo.

And Mr. Davis fits in with most of the current Butler fans.

QuoteTom Crowley back at Butler

http://butlersports.com/genrel/crowley_returns

I recall when he left to be AD at Niagara, which was only 2 years ago. I obviously wasn't keeping close tabs on his career in the interim, so I Googled him, and it sounds like he had a bit of a mysterious departure from Niagara after less than 1 year on the job. From there he came back to be "special assistant to the commissioner of the Horizon League," which sounds like a totally made up position some corporate type gets when he loses his job and needs to fill a gap on the resume.

Quotelf an ass like Bobby Petrino can always find a job there was no reason Couture couldn't----maybe she will have better luck back in the south where her brand of crap had traction before coming to Butler. 
Couture=Butler women's BB coach fired for "questionable" moves.

QuoteI will be surprised if the Big East doesn't decide to follow in basketball the same rules as the Big Five football schools. It seems to be the only route to go and probably makes sense financially too.

Live Hinkle cam: http://hinklecam.butler.edu/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=5085

QuoteThis has been downhill from the beginning...

Last unoriginal Twitter update was May 30th. I guess the July recruiting period didn't exist for him. No way 18 yr olds use Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. Butler might want to get control of that account...
https://twitter.com/BUCoachMiller
MBB coach Brandon Miller took a medical LOA during the summer and has not returned

FWalum

Wow, that stirred the pot a little. Nothing like a little Butler love to get the VU faithful going.  I am not a Tom Davis fan, he does let his Butler bias show in his reporting and in the articles he places in his sports section.  While I will admit that national attention has been more focused on BU since their big run, he has been force feeding us well before that time.  You would think that Butler's birthplace was Fort Wayne instead of VU's.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 07, 2014, 09:16:25 PM
Nor on his report card, either.

If anyone puts a C in their names, I will smites them.

Derrick-------please don't scmites me!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

High school basketball Preseason Fab 15: No. 10, Zionsville

http://www.indystar.com/story/recruiting-central/2014/11/04/high-school-basketball-preseason-fab-15-no10-zionsville/18479779/

Comments about Derrik:

Zionsville, which was 11-2 through January last season, will have one of the most experienced teams in Central Indiana. Derrik Smits, a 7-foot Valparaiso recruit, is the top returning scorer (10.6 ppg) and also averaged 3.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocked shots. The left-handed Smits shot 54 percent from the field and 78 percent from the free-throw line last season.

Smits, the son of former Indiana Pacer Rik Smits, has battled injuries throughout his career, but can be one of the best players in the state when healthy and motivated.

"We need to keep Derrik healthy the whole year," Busick said. "Number two, Derrik has to be assertive and ready to go. He can be really tough to stop. But at times he'll coast. He can't coast if we're going to be a great team. He has to go hard all the time."

For his part, Smits said he's ready for his senior season. With the recruiting piece now behind him, he's fully focused on trying to help the Eagles to their first sectional title since 1995. Smits was left off the IndyStar Indiana Junior All-Stars, adding a bit to the personal motivation for this season.

Comments about Derrik's cousin Cassius Smits-Francisco

Zionsville will get a significant boost with the return of Cassius Smits-Francisco, a 6-8, 225-pound sophomore who should be back in mid-December as he recovers from surgery from an anterior cruciate ligament tear in his knee. Smits-Francisco, the cousin of Smits, is receiving early recruiting interest from Ball State, Indiana State, Ole Miss, Purdue and Valparaiso.

"He's progressing nicely," Busick said. "He's been working hard in the weight room and is putting on a lot of muscle. He's going to have to get back into a rhythm and back into a flow, but he's going to help us."

valpotx

Didn't know that he is left-handed!  A left-handed 7'0" post player can be hard to stop.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: wh on November 09, 2014, 04:52:43 PMZionsville will get a significant boost with the return of Cassius Smits-Francisco, a 6-8, 225-pound sophomore who should be back in mid-December as he recovers from surgery from an anterior cruciate ligament tear in his knee. Smits-Francisco, the cousin of Smits, is receiving early recruiting interest from Ball State, Indiana State, Ole Miss, Purdue and Valparaiso.
Derrik, we need you to start getting the basketball law firm to Valpo!

bbtds

Show Derrik you are loyal!

Looking for another Greyhound mishap in Carmel!

Why do you think they have so many round-a-bouts?

bbtds

What's to come by going round and round
By Anna Yee

May 30, 2012
Updated May 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM CST
CARMEL, IN --

Z. Davis Coots used to live in Peoria.

Now he lives in Carmel, Indiana, the unofficial capital of roundabouts in the US.

He, and many others, were skeptical about roundabouts at first, but now embrace the more than 80 of them around the city.

"They save fuel," said Coots. "They save expense to operate intersections, no stoplights."

"The flow, it just flows right around," said Mary Ellen Frye, who works in Carmel." There's no waiting."

Barbara Beachnau also travels to Carmel for work.

"Anyone can learn. It's very easy," said Beachnau. "It made my life so much easier."

Peoria city officials are getting a closer look at these modern roadways, five of them likely coming to our area.

Jim Brainard, Mayor of Carmel, says roundabouts are cheaper than stop lights and safer.
"It's pedestrian safety. It's vehicular safety. It's bicycle safety," said Mayor Brainard. "You eliminate left hand turns and everyone's going slower. We've heard people speed up at yellow lights, but that's when tragic accidents happen."

Mayor Brainard says the data speaks for itself. After building the roundabouts, car accidents have dropped by roughly 40%, collisions involving injuries, down nearly 80%.

And the roadways are designed to accommodate large vehicles like fire trucks, a worry Peoria Fire Division Chief Melanie Anderson had before visiting Carmel.

"I think our fire apparatus will be able to handle the roundabouts," said Anderson. "There's definitely going to have to be a collaboration with the design of them, because there are different options. I think a bigger challenge is going to be our learning curve."

Peoria Mayor Jim Ardis says the trip to Carmel will help get Peoria drivers ahead of that learning curve.

"We've already made plans to get a number of their videos and take them back with us," said Mayor Ardis. "We'll post those on public access channels. So, a lot of this is driving people towards those places where they can get information and understand roundabouts better."

Mayor Ardis says drivers may get some practice on a mock roundabout before the projects are completed.

Details have yet to be finalized, but city officials seem to be looking more confidently down the road.

valpotx

Isn't today (Wednesday) the first day of the early signing period?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Derrik tweeted the following:

Can't wait to officially be apart of the Crusader family today 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

[tweet]532514248367169536[/tweet]

OH NO!!!!  he's LEAVING US!?!?!

what did we DOOOOO
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 12, 2014, 12:01:58 PM
[tweet]532514248367169536[/tweet]

OH NO!!!!  he's LEAVING US!?!?!

what did we DOOOOO

"We" offended him by poking fun at his grammar...

LaPorteAveApostle

Hey, I purposely did NOT point out that it's "apart from", not "apart of"! ;)

valpo64

Any other recruits signed?   

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on November 12, 2014, 02:29:21 PM
Any other recruits signed?   

The other recruit, and last one for this period as there are no other scholarship opennings, is Daniel Relvao.  No news on him as of yet.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 12, 2014, 12:50:50 PM
Hey, I purposely did NOT point out that it's "apart from", not "apart of"! ;)

If you really want to embarrass the young man send that tweet to his teachers and coach.

http://www.zcs.k12.in.us/zhs/index.php?q=node/67

http://www.zcs.k12.in.us/zhs/index.php?q=node/146

Busick, Shaun   62101   sbusick@zcs.k12.in.us

Did he really send that tweet out??

Mr. and Mrs Busick, English teachers, at ZCHS. Shaun Busick also happens to be Derrik's coach.

LaPorteAveApostle

I know you were kidding, as was I, but before I report a tweet with a grammatical error, I'd probably report the sexist and crude tweets others are sending (NOT thankfully Derrik, least that I've seen) first.

bbtds

I bet Mr. and Mrs. Busick would be appreciative of your keeping an eye on his grammar. Derrik may even have to run an extra lap in practice this week.

Just because some other house has already burned down doesn't make it vitally important to stop the fire before it reaches your house.

bbtds

valpotx

That's pretty cool to watch, other than the awkward pauses :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Congratulations to Daniel! 

Now, where's Derrik's signing video?

valpo4life

My guess is we'll be seeing a video from Derrik once school gets out here soon.