• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-15 Season

Started by classof2014, October 10, 2014, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

There's a really nice story about Vashil in the Post Tribune. I know he is or at least when I attended school he was involved all over campus with various clubs. He truly embodies what it means to be a Crusader.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-st-0306-20150305-story.html#page=2

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on March 06, 2015, 08:28:10 AM
There's a really nice story about Vashil in the Post Tribune. I know he is or at least when I attended school he was involved all over campus with various clubs. He truly embodies what it means to be a Crusader.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-st-0306-20150305-story.html#page=2

Really nice piece.  His daughter's sleeping through the night at four months?!  It's like she's trying to make sure Vashil gets his sleep.

classof2014

What a season it has been! Many said watch out for Valpo next year. Many said who will score other than Peters? Many said why did you go to Canada and Croatia? Many said who is Darien Walker?

Those questions were answered and were answered in a big way. This team is special, there's no other way to put it. Overcoming numerous injuries, from losing Lexus before the season began, to KC at the beginning of the conference, to losing Tevonn in the semis and virtually for the finals, and having Darien break his nose in the first half.

They say necessity is the mother of invention and this team reinvented themselves as the season went on. From a high-scoring to a shut-down defense that we saw tonight this team is incredibly versatile. This goes to show the coaches and the players we have brought in, not just great basketball players but intelligent young men who are willing to do anything to make the team better.

This team was flat-out fun to watch. Bryce Drew isn't just one of the best young coaches in college basketball. He IS one of the best coaches in college basketball. Just look at the list of injuries and how each one seemingly made our team stronger. Lexus went down KC stepped up, KC went down EVN stepped up, Tevonn went down Skara stepped up. They fought through the adversity. Now it's time to get healthy. Finally be close to 100%.

Time to go dancing!

valpotx

I know that it is early to say this, but I hope that everyone comes back next year for a fun run!  The only people I could see leaving might be Nick Davidson and/or Max Joseph, but the playing time will be there for Max in his Junior year, when Darien, E Victor, and Keith all graduate.  With Lexus coming back, I truly hope that Max is thinking about his Junior and Senior years, and wants to stay at Valpo, as he showed some great PG skills during much of the conference season when Keith was out.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: classof2014 on March 10, 2015, 10:43:35 PMWhat a season it has been! Many said watch out for Valpo next year.
Yes and we believe it even stronger today than we did on Friday!

Quote from: classof2014 on March 10, 2015, 10:43:35 PMOvercoming numerous injuries, from losing Lexus before the season began, to KC at the beginning of the conference, to losing Tevonn in the semis and virtually for the finals, and having Darien break his nose in the first half.
Quote from: classof2014 on March 10, 2015, 10:43:35 PMJust look at the list of injuries and how each one seemingly made our team stronger. Lexus went down KC stepped up, KC went down EVN stepped up, Tevonn went down Skara stepped up.
Ok you got me convinced. So if we can just figure out a way to get a couple more players banged up by my calculations we should be almost unbeatable!     :o

wh

Charlotte fans keeping tabs on EVN:

http://ninernation.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=ihpssjagg7a7dirisqhpcap7l4&topic=27093.msg640424#new

Current discussion starts with NY NINER (half way down the page)

LaPorteAveApostle

I never thought I would say this, but I have to thank someone we've neglected for making this possible.

(Valpospartan, you best be paying attention.)

I think, as good a season as we are having, that we did very well to beat CSU 3 times by a combined total of 10 points.

If Bryn Forbes doesn't transfer, do we win all three of those games?  Do we win any of them?

I think Izzo's a total knob, but he gets the first assist on the Forbes goal, and the NCAA the second, for making that kind of larceny possible.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpospartan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 15, 2015, 02:21:53 PM
I never thought I would say this, but I have to thank someone we've neglected for making this possible.

(Valpospartan, you best be paying attention.)

I think, as good a season as we are having, that we did very well to beat CSU 3 times by a combined total of 10 points.

If Bryn Forbes doesn't transfer, do we win all three of those games?  Do we win any of them?

I think Izzo's a total knob, but he gets the first assist on the Forbes goal, and the NCAA the second, for making that kind of larceny possible.

I'm don't know what a knob is, but I am happy , and proud, that Tom Izzo is the basketball coach at my alma mater, Michigan State University.  Maybe you could explain your dislike for him  .

On another note, the audible sigh heard a little after 6PM ET, was from me finding out that VU is not playing Michigan State.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpospartan on March 15, 2015, 09:09:51 PMOn another note, the audible sigh heard a little after 6PM ET, was from me finding out that VU is not playing Michigan State.
I think we're all counting on you to counsel valpo04 through the grieving process.

historyman

Quote from: valpospartan on March 15, 2015, 09:09:51 PMI'm don't know what a knob is, but I am happy

Depends on if you're speaking british english or US english. In this case it's much better to be speaking US english--if you know what I mean.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

As appreciation for the past season and with a look toward next year, I have put together a gallery with my selection of 75 game photos at the following link, beginning with the one included here as an appreciation of Vashil, the only starter we will be losing. Enjoy, and start thinking about next year! https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157650980430029/

vu72

I do wonder how Bryce will give out playing time next year. Remember, added to a return of Lexus, a fully healthy E. Victor, a fully healthy Keith Carter, you have the Walker boys, and, the addition of Shane Hammink. Shane is 6'7", very athletic, a great shooter, left handed and runs like a deer.  More length on the perimeter.  Throw in that Peters kid, Jubril, David and a freshman big and I count 10. This assumes that Max doesn't have a breakout summer or that Simon really doesn't have meaningful talent.

We could be running the Kentucky platoon system, or pressing all over the floor.  What problems!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Alas, it probably means we need to ask what player or two we'll be losing.

Kyle321n

I'll miss Vashil a lot. He was fun to watch grow as a player from his sophomore season when he couldn't catch a pass down low, to this year when he became one of the most fearsome defenders in the nation. I still remember during his sophomore year watching him back down Coach Powell during the warmups before the game. I would tell my wife that year "If he could catch the ball he's got the footwork already down for great post moves, he just needs his hands to develop." I don't remember him doing it up much last season, but in the opening game, when he debuted his skyhook, it was really exciting.

I hope he gets to catch on to a team oversees, because I think he'll be able to put together a really nice pro career. Good luck Vashil and I wish nothing but the best to you and your family.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpopal

[tweet]580058791892422656[/tweet]

valpopal

[tweet]581477804983877632[/tweet]

valpopal

[tweet]581478926305882113[/tweet]

talksalot

Other District 12 Award Recipients:

District 12
First Team
Keifer Sykes Green Bay
Alec Peters Valparaiso
Lawrence Alexander North Dakota State  (6'3" SR Guard)
Kahlil Felder Oakland
Cody Larson South Dakota State  (6'9" SR Fwd)

Second Team
Trey Lewis Cleveland State
Juwan Howard Jr. Detroit
Obi Emegano Oral Roberts  (6'3" Rs-JR Guard)
Anton Grady Cleveland State
Corey Petros Oakland

District Coaches of the Year:

2014-15 NABC UPS DIVISION I ALL-DISTRICT COACHES
District 1: Kevin Baggett, Rider
District 2: Tony Bennett, Virginia
District 3: Matthew Driscoll, North Florida and Barclay Radebaugh, Charleston Southern
District 4: Bob McKillop, Davidson
District 5: Jay Wright, Villanova
District 6: Brian Katz, Sacramento State
District 7: Bo Ryan, Wisconsin and Mark Turgeon, Maryland
District 8: Bob Huggins, West Virginia
District 9: Mark Few, Gonzaga
District 10: Kevin Keatts, UNC Wilmington
District 11: Mike White, Louisiana Tech
District 12: Bryce Drew, Valparaiso
District 13: James Jones, Yale
District 14: Keno Davis, Central Michigan
District 15: LeVelle Moton, North Carolina Central
District 16: Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa
District 17: Leon Rice, Boise State
District 18: Glenn Braica, St. Francis Brooklyn
District 19: Steve Prohm, Murray State
District 20: Dana Altman, Oregon
District 22: Mike Young, Wofford
District 23: Brad Underwood, Stephen F. Austin and Mike Davis, Texas Southern
District 24: Mark Byington, Georgia Southern
District 25: Fran Dunphy, Temple

and if any of you are curious.. here are the boundaries for the "Districts"...

1   America East Conference  &  Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
2   Atlantic Coast Conference
3   Atlantic Sun Conference &  Big South Conference
4   Atlantic 10 Conference
5   Big East Conference
6   Big Sky Conference  & Western Athletic Conference
7   Big Ten Conference
8   Big 12 Conference
9   Big West Conference &  West Coast Conference
10   Colonial Athletic Association
11   Conference USA
12   Horizon League & The Summit League
13   Ivy League &  Patriot League & Independent(s)
14   Mid-American Conference
15   Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
16   Missouri Valley Conference
17   Mountain West Conference
18   Northeast Conference
19   Ohio Valley Conference
20   Pacific-12 Conference
21   Southeastern Conference
22   Southern Conference
23   Southland Conference &  Southwestern Athletic Conference
24   Sun Belt Conference
25 -  Not on the NABC Wikipedia page... guess it's the American Athletic Conference...:)

valporun

No one in District 21-SEC worthy of selection, or are we just supposed to expect it was Calipari?

Kyle321n

District 21 just read: See University of Kentucky's Media Guide
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

I expect Grizz here to whine about Petros not being 1st team any minute

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Vashil and Alec named to Horizon League Winter Academic All-League Team: Congrats!

Academic All-League Men's Basketball Team: Vashil Fernandez (Valparaiso), Alec Peters (Valparaiso), Kendall Griffin, (Wright State), Corey Petros (Oakland), and Cody Wichmann (Milwaukee).

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-announces-2014-15-winter-academic-all-league-teams