• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Missouri, Mizzou Arena, Columbia, MO 5:00 p.m. CT Sunday 11/16/14

Started by bbtds, November 12, 2014, 12:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

A friend of mine and I are making the trek from Lawrence to Columbia for the game.  Much safer to wear a Valpo shirt in Columbia than a KU shirt (I still worry slightly about my car).  Encouraged by the the newcomer's play and the overall play of Valpo last night.  Would be nice to start the season 2-0 against some decent competition.

Valpofan00

78crusader

I will predict 75-62 Mizzou.  I would go with VU on this one except (1) Mizzou just lost to UMKC and we will be probably be greeted by an inspired effort by the Tigers, and (2) VU has shown a near-total inability over the past 10 years to beat a BCS program.  Hope I'm wrong.

Paul

setshot

The game will be televised on the SEC network. I intend to watch it. Go Valpo!

wh

This team has 2 predominant qualities that Valpo teams of the past have had in limited quantities - team speed and athleticism.  Unfortunately, they're young and inexperienced as well, so taking down a BCS opponent on the road (even one that is rebuilding) is a pretty tall order at this early stage. 

classof2014

I'm guessing this is not gonna be a close game for whoever wins. Either Mizzou will play an inspired effort or they'll be completely dejected. I think the key to this game will be the start can we come out guns blazing? If we do I like our chances. Mizzou can't be very confident after losing to the Roos of Mizzou, while our confidence is up after a nice win.

Mizzou has a lot of young players so they might try to force things that aren't there in the early going and a lot of times that equates to a slow start.

I'll be at the game so I'm just hoping Valpo will make it worth the 3 hour drive each way for me.

Interesting game the start is the key for both teams in this one. 

historyman

Quote from: Valpofan00 on November 15, 2014, 10:01:29 AMWill this game be on Comcast? If not can I view it online?

Looks like ESPN 3, if you have an ESPN subscription and the SEC Network. Nothing else.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on November 15, 2014, 01:07:33 PMNothing else except for pirate feeds, links to which Ave Apostle certainly won't post in the chat or anything
fixed
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: historyman on November 15, 2014, 01:07:33 PM
Quote from: Valpofan00 on November 15, 2014, 10:01:29 AMWill this game be on Comcast? If not can I view it online?

Looks like ESPN 3, if you have an ESPN subscription and the SEC Network. Nothing else.

So do you need both or either??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Brandon

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 13, 2014, 08:30:04 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on November 13, 2014, 08:27:14 PMIs listening to soccer better or worse than watching soccer?    But seriously congrats to the women!!
Brandon Vickery is still a struggle to listen to.  That's completely subjective and probably unfair, but I find it difficult.

Can I ask what makes me a struggle to listen to?

wh

Quote from: vu72 on November 15, 2014, 02:21:26 PM
Quote from: historyman on November 15, 2014, 01:07:33 PM

So do you need both or either??

Either.

For instance I have DISH, so I went to the online programming guide and found the SEC Network on channel 408.  I tried it, and whala there it was.  Now I don't care one way or the other about ESPN 3.

a3uge

Quote from: Brandon on November 15, 2014, 02:31:04 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on November 13, 2014, 08:27:14 PMIs listening to soccer better or worse than watching soccer?    But seriously congrats to the women!!
Brandon Vickery is still a struggle to listen to.  That's completely subjective and probably unfair, but I find it difficult.

Well this is awkward

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

valpotx

A win against Mizzou is a great win regardless of the talent on their team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

ARCInsider

bbtds

LaPorteAveApostle

um...hearing aid batteries dyingwifi interferencenarcolepsy? 

or because

vu72

I'm watching the Missouri-Texas A & M game on the SEC Network.  They are advertising our game regularly!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

I can't improve on what the poster said about his own comment - it is completely subjective and unfair. My kind advice to you is to simply ignore it. You're doing a fine job.  Keep up the good work!

valpopal

Quote from: wh on November 16, 2014, 01:12:10 AM

I can't improve on what the poster said about his own comment - it is completely subjective and unfair. My kind advice to you is to simply ignore it. You're doing a fine job.  Keep up the good work!

Agree with this. My opinion has been that Brandon does a good job on the air and in his written articles. He works hard, does extensive preparation behind the scenes, and seems omnipresent at sporting events. It is amazing to realize he is a freshman.

vu84v2

If I were in Vegas, I would definitely bet Valpo getting 6.

For those Valpo fans going to the game, lets make some noise.  Missouri only had 7100 for their opener against UMKC and it is cold and icy - so I would expect less for this game.  This game is there for the taking if Valpo can play well.

drewsaders11

I live about 5 minutes from Mizzou Arena, and my wife and I couldn't be more excited to see Valpo play.  We have seen them play one time since graduating a few years back, a fairly lifeless loss to SLU, but that was a tourney team, much better than Mizzou is or will be for the next couple of years.

The line has dropped about a point in a day to MU -5.  I almost wish Mizzou hadn't tanked against UMKC (10-20 last year in the WAC!), but maybe that means the Tigers are as awful as losing to the 'Roos entails. 

It might not be hard to be louder than Mizzou's fans here, either.  With the football team still on the forefront, deer season trumping most everything else, and the weather being much worse than usual November's, I would n't expect too many fans on a Sunday evening. People don't focus on basketball here like in Indiana until at least January.  Attendance on opening night was right above 7,000.