• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UDM @ Valpo, Wednesday, 2/4/15 7:05 CST tip

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 02, 2015, 07:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

SSIA

...well, except #BeatDetroit
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Which one of these did you mean?

SSIA   Shoe Service Institute of America
SSIA   Special Savings Incentive Account
SSIA   Subject Says It All
SSIA   Successful Schools In Action
SSIA   Security Seal Industry Association
SSIA   SnowSports Industries America
SSIA   Signal Strength Indication of the Acknowledge
SSIA   Single-Stage Implosion Assembled
SSIA   So Sorry in Advance
SSIA   Social Services Improvement Agency

;)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Thought it might be Successful Schools In Action with VU putting a hurt on them, but there is no doubt that UDM is going to be UDM.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpofan00

Okay can anyone not stand how bad of quality our live video feed and microphone is compared to other schools? It looks and sounds fuzzy. We need a new camera.

covufan

After a sluggish second half on Saturday, we need to come out and play 40. 

Valpo  75
Det     61

FWalum

Quote from: HC on February 02, 2015, 09:10:43 AM

Valpo by 11. 72-61
Someone might want to explain this for any of the new people.  ;D

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds

Just in case someone tags Valpo with area code graffiti again.........here are the area codes for the other HL teams

Oakland           248
Detroit             313
Cleveland St     216
Youngstown St  330
Wright St         937
UIC                 312
Milwaukee        414
Green Bay        920

Maybe this will also explain the post with the #219 tag.

wh

Game #25: @ Valparaiso
Postby Commissioner » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Valparaiso
When: Wednesday, February 4, 8:00 p.m. ET
Where: The ARC, Valparaiso
Live Video: ESPN3
Radio: AM 1270

The Horizon League pre-season poll picked Detroit and Valpo neck and neck to finish third and fourth in the conference. We're now three-quarters of the way through the season. While the Titans have probably been the most disappointing team in the Horizon this year, languishing in a tie for 5th at 4-5 in conference and 11-13 overall, Valpo is rockin' at 20-4 and sits in first place in the conference, tied with Cleveland State (over whom they currently hold the tiebreaker). This week they got a vote in both the AP and Coach's poll. This year the Crusaders will see post-season play for the 5th straight year. If the Titans don't get better fast, we're soon enough going to see something like Missouri State, Southern Illinois, or Indiana State join Conference USA for football, and Valpo replace them in the Valley, leaving us the sole private in the Horizon.

Anyway, can the Titans get going? Frankly, I doubt it. When the Titans lost 6 in a row in December, I was willing to write it off to a period of bad play during a tough part of the schedule, as new players were worked in. When we came back to win 4 of 5, including a good road win at Northeastern and only a tough loss to Green Bay, I thought we could contend for the upper division of the Conference. Not any more. This Titan team is simply a bad team. I do not agree with those who argue that we have talent but no chemistry or fire or coaching or whatever. I don't think we have talent. We make lots of bad passes. We foul too much, stupid, cheap fouls. We miss too many foul shots. We don't move off the ball. We lose too many balls in traffic. These things define who has talent. We don't have it. We are a bad team with a couple good players and a couple so-so players and a bunch of overrated scrubs.

Can we surprise Valpo? On the plus side, we've won the last three in Valpo, and in fact the visiting team has won the last 5 games in the series. But this Valpo team is not a fluke. It's a good team, and if someone else doesn't catch them this year, they are going to be really hard to catch the next couple years.

The Crusaders best player is sophomore forward Alec Peters, the presumptive 2016 and 2017 Horizon Player of the Year – maybe even 2015. The 6-9 Peters averages 17.8 points and 6.2 rebounds. He shoots 50% from the floor, 46% from the three point line, and 84% from the stripe. At center is 6-10, 245 lb. senior Vashil Fernandez (7.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg), who ought to eat up Kane and Ackerman. He'll also shut down Williams and Brundidge if they try to drive the lane—he leads the league in blocks with 3 per game—though I have a bit more confidence in Jenkins and Kearney.

After Peters and Fernandez Valpo starts three guards. Normally the point is manned by junior Keith Carter (9.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.8 apg, 42% 3PFG), but he's been out since the second week of January with a toe injury and is listed as questionable for Wednesday's game. He is joined by 6-1 freshman guard Tevonn Walker (10.6, 1.8 apg), who has developed quicker than most expected, and 6-3 juco transfer Darien Walker (9.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2 apg).

If Carter doesn't start, look for Victor Nickerson (5.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2 apg), a 6-8 G/F transfer from Charlotte. Indeed, Coach Bryce Drew may see no reason to rush Carter into the starting lineup even if he can play Wednesday, as Nickerson is probably a better match up with Bass, whom he can match in height and length. The top players on the bench (besides, usually, Nickerson) are forwards Jubril Adekoya and David Skara. Adekoya (5.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg), a 6-7, 230 lb. soph, has been a bit of a disappointment this year, losing the starting job he seized last year as a freshman, but he is still a big body off the bench, and a good match up for Hogan. Skara (5.6 ppg, 3.6 rpg) is a 6-8 freshman originally from Croatia who played prep ball last year in Indiana. With Carter out, freshman guard Max Joseph has seen double-digits in minutes in each of the last 7 games, averaging 3.4 points and 2.3 assists in that time.

As Detroit/Valpo games usually are, this should be an entertaining, high scoring affair, as both teams averge over 70 points per game, the Titans despite their problems in the half court. The Titans and Crusaders rank 1-2 in the conference in 3 point shooting, and, curiously enough, 2-3 in three point shooting defense. But Valpo has a stronger interior game and better rebounding, and they're just a smarter, more disciplined team. They can be caught late by fouling, if it stays close - Peters is the only really good free throw shooter except for Skara, who would be less likely to be on the court in that situation. Carter, Fernandez, Darien Walker, Joseph, and Adekoya are all shooting below 60% at the line.

This would be a really nice win for the Titans if we can stretch our streak in the ARC to 4 in a row. I'm not holding my breath, however.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on February 02, 2015, 09:53:30 PMAdekoya (5.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg), a 6-7, 230 lb. soph, has been a bit of a disappointment this year, losing the starting job he seized last year as a freshman, but he is still a big body off the bench, and a good match up for Hogan.

The Commissioner usually does a very good job with his analysis, and he is mostly correct here as well. However, his stats for Adekoya are overall numbers, and we all have seen a different Jubril in the 9 games of conference play (6.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg), where he has not been disappointing and is shooting about 70% from the field plus 70% from the free throw line while committing only 1 turnover per game.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on February 02, 2015, 09:53:30 PMOn the plus side, we've won the last three in Valpo, and in fact the visiting team has won the last 5 games in the series.
yikes i'd conveniently forgotten how deep that ran...

classof2014

I noticed that Commish was bringing up that the MVC may be interested in Valpo or vice versa. For one this would be a great move for Valpo and a blow to the Horizon. As both Wichita State and UNI are ranked, also now living in Des Moines I wouldn't mind them coming to Drake and UNI yearly for obvious selfish reasons.

-- Anyways Valpo wins this game by 12, 78 to 66.

Pathfinder

Quote from: bbtds on February 02, 2015, 04:48:07 PMJust in case someone tags Valpo with area code graffiti again.........here are the area codes for the other HL teams Oakland           248 Detroit             313 Cleveland St     216 Youngstown St  330 Wright St         937 UIC                 312 Milwaukee        414 Green Bay        920

Until I got to Green Bay, I was afraid these were RPI numbers.

wh

Commish gives the impression that KC could play tomorrow - "listed as questionable," "if he doesn't start."  Have I missed something?  He was in a boot at UIC. Todd didn't even bring it up in yesterday's weekly update with Bryce. Oren hasn't been tweeting about it. I've just been assuming there must not be any significant development to talk about. Anyone know anything?

valpo4life

Quote from: wh on February 03, 2015, 12:43:28 PM
Commish gives the impression that KC could play tomorrow - "listed as questionable," "if he doesn't start."  Have I missed something?  He was in a boot at UIC. Todd didn't even bring it up in yesterday's weekly update with Bryce. Oren hasn't been tweeting about it. I've just been assuming there must not be any significant development to talk about. Anyone know anything?

I don't know anything about KC's status. But I will say that I believe wearing a boot doesn't mean a whole lot anymore, as far as judging a player's injury. The walking boot has become more of a precautionary measure than anything. Someone could be good to practice or play, but will wear the walking boot just avoid any freak injuries or worsen anything. And to be clear this isn't me speculating KC will play. That was solely my opinion that seeing a player in a walking booth isn't as serious as you would think. 

wh

I see where Commish got "questionable" from:

01/31/15   G   Keith Carter   Toe   "?" Wednesday vs. Detroit U

http://www.donbest.com/ncaab/injuries/

Kyle321n

Well Chadwick doesn't show up there, I don't know if that means he'll be back to being in uniform or if he's still out, but it would be nice to have more than Alec, Vashil, Jubril and Skara available to be "bigs"
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpo64

Don't know where this post should go but I'm wondering what time the Oakland game starts?   My tickets show 1:35 but the VU Athletic site shows 2:30???

talksalot

Looks like a change to me, I'd go with 2:30 Central  (HL Website has it at 3:30 eastern)... AND I see they have posted the GB game as a 6pm Central start on Friday the 13th.   

sliman

FWIW, the schedule online lists the Oakland game at 2 p.m. and the Green Bay game at 6 p.m., both CST.  And those times are shown both on the schedule and the front page "teasers."

As for Keith playing, I wouldn't count on it until we hear about him practicing.  As stated several times previously, healing a tendon/ligament is not a quick process.

talksalot

Quote from: sliman on February 03, 2015, 04:06:04 PMFWIW, the schedule online lists the Oakland game at 2 p.m. and the Green Bay game at 6 p.m., both CST.  And those times are shown both on the schedule and the front page "teasers."

The Schedule Cards [and apparently the season tickets] show 1:35pm and "TBA" respectively.

historyman

Quote from: Pathfinder on February 03, 2015, 11:40:03 AM
Quote from: bbtds on February 02, 2015, 04:48:07 PMJust in case someone tags Valpo with area code graffiti again.........here are the area codes for the other HL teams Oakland           248 Detroit             313 Cleveland St     216 Youngstown St  330 Wright St         937 UIC                 312 Milwaukee        414 Green Bay        920
Until I got to Green Bay, I was afraid these were RPI numbers.

937 for Wright St? ? ? ?   :-[
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Pathfinder