• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UDM @ Valpo, Wednesday, 2/4/15 7:05 CST tip

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 02, 2015, 07:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

I've watched 3 or 4 of Detroit's games, including a dominant win over Oakland at home. They seem to be pretty inconsistent, but definitely not a team to underestimate. I think we took the big lead we built up against UIC for granted and it nearly cost us a devastating loss.  Bryce took Alec out in the 2nd half right after he had just hit 2 consecutive 3's to offset a run UIC was already on. Once he left UIC continued to score while our scoring dried up. By the time he put Alec back in UIC had cut the lead in half. Even worse Alec could never pull the trigger when he came back, Tevonn was limping around by then and wasn't himself on either end, and suddenly we were holding on for dear life like a boxer with nothing left in the tank.

valpotx

Quote from: classof2014 on February 03, 2015, 09:34:29 AM
I noticed that Commish was bringing up that the MVC may be interested in Valpo or vice versa. For one this would be a great move for Valpo and a blow to the Horizon. As both Wichita State and UNI are ranked, also now living in Des Moines I wouldn't mind them coming to Drake and UNI yearly for obvious selfish reasons.

-- Anyways Valpo wins this game by 12, 78 to 66.

I was told recently by someone in the know, that the MVC move was 'extremely close.'

Valpo 76
Detroit 62
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

meaning
--it almost happened last time?
or
--it is imminent?

...and was this someone on an internet message board?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

I know making excuses by using the weather is pretty lame, since I would never let 17 inches of snow or -15 degree weather stop me from going to a game, but we're supposed to get 3-4 MORE inches of snow between 9 and 3 today and the temp is supposed to get down below 0 tonight. Could be a damper on the crowd.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on February 04, 2015, 01:35:14 AMI was told recently by someone in the know, that the MVC move was 'extremely close.'

Tex, are you talking about a couple summers ago or the present? 

I don't understand the all of sudden talk about the MVC.  There was mention that a couple of the MVC football school looking towards CUSA.  CUSA already has 14 teams. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Back to the subject of the UDM game.  The spread is -10 to Valpo.  After making a good profit from the -6 GB @ WSU I might reinvest it in this game.  I don't see us beating them by 10.  Yet, not disciplined or managed well, they are athletic and we struggle against athletic teams but settling for shots.  We pull it off but it's close. 
CRUSADERS!!!

classof2014

I would imagine that Valpo learned its lesson about taking the foot off the gas with a sizable lead, even against bad teams. That was really the first time all season that we were up big and a team got themselves back into the game. Just goes to show it ain't over till it over.

We learned our lesson against UIC and we will win comfortably against Detroit.

sliman

Community apathy and more snow definitely will hurt tonight's attendance.  A realistic number in the seats might be as low as 2,100.  If you're there BE LOUD.

hailcrusaders

The Detroit board (with the help of an apparent visitor from Oakland) has brought up the Capobianco incident from 2013. Still can't believe how riled that got them, talk about the coal calling the kettle black.
#CrusadersForever

vu72

Quote from: sliman on February 04, 2015, 10:42:36 AM
Community apathy and more snow definitely will hurt tonight's attendance.  A realistic number in the seats might be as low as 2,100.  If you're there BE LOUD.

Just checked the ticket sit and there are still 518 seats available in the lower level.  Upstairs it looks like 8 seats have been sold so far.  There are 2000 seats in the lower level (chairback and reserve)  The reality is that many of the seats unavailable were sold to season ticket holders.  Whether they show up is an entirely different question.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Quote from: valpotx on February 04, 2015, 01:35:14 AM
I was told recently by someone in the know, that the MVC move was 'extremely close.'

Valpo 76
Detroit 62

I think the "was" is definitely a past tense in this case. I don't think it is in any way an "is".

Detroit gives us fits at home. Let's hope the guys are ready.

classof2014

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 04, 2015, 10:56:21 AM
The Detroit board (with the help of an apparent visitor from Oakland) has brought up the Capobianco incident from 2013. Still can't believe how riled that got them, talk about the coal calling the kettle black.

That's hilarious that they are still bitter about the play, chances are it doesn't happen if Anderson just lays it in and tries not to be showoff in a blowout. That turned the game around and that game is one of my fondest memories of watching VU. KVW went like 13 of 15 from the floor in that game (I believe), he and Minnie Wrath had the big games. We were down 20 something with like 15 minutes left and down 11 with about 2, or something similar. I remember Rowdy stole the ball with like 12 seconds left on an inbound play and was immediately fouled. What does he do? He calmly sinks the 2 free throws to give us the 1 point lead. And I believe that the Minnie Wrath had his final shot blocked as the clocked expired to give us a one point 89 to 88 win. The game was on National tv no less (ESPN U). By far one of my favorite games in VU history.

wh

Yep, it begins with that inexcusable, uncontested, showboat, disrespect-your-opponent dunk at the gun by little ray and ends with Dougy getting pounded into the ground on an inexcusable, uncontested, showboat, disrespect-your-opponent windmill dunk. What The Lord giveth, Capo taketh away...what goes around comes around...the perfect circle of life...poetic justice...the law of reciprocity...what's good for the goose...

I think that covers it... :)

VU2624

Capobianco went for the block and Anderson decided to windmill and moved the ball. The ball was being played. Shouldn't have even been a flagrant.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

HC

that was a hard foul...a really hard foul.  Capo deserved what he got from that one.  No doubt it changed the momentum of the game in Valpo's favor though.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on February 04, 2015, 12:08:10 PM
Yep, it begins with that inexcusable, uncontested, showboat, disrespect-your-opponent dunk at the gun by little ray and ends with Dougy getting pounded into the ground on an inexcusable, uncontested, showboat, disrespect-your-opponent windmill dunk. What The Lord giveth, Capo taketh away...what goes around comes around...the perfect circle of life...poetic justice...the law of reciprocity...what's good for the goose...

I think that covers it... :)

I believe Laporte said that since the Titans had Minnewrath, the Crusaders now had Megawrath--I don't remember if that was Van Wijk or Capo.

LaPorteAveApostle

KVW.  thanks for remembering.  meme is gone because the site i made it with is now down. 

tres disappoint.

Kyle321n

For anyone who's on the fence about coming I'm sure this push you over!

[tweet]563095018718892032[/tweet]
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Looking forward to seeing Paris Bass tonight. IMO he and Tevonn are the 2 best all around Freshmen in the HL this year (not to discredit Oakland's guys or anyone else).

SanityLost17

I disagree.  If you go, don't get loud.  Sit there quietly and enjoy the game. Over the past few seasons, Detroit seems to thrive on emotion.  It seems to be the only time they play well.  Could be why they always win at the ARC, because usually have a bigger crowd?  I am glad this game is on a snow covered Wednesday night.   A dead atmosphere means a a dead Detroit team. 

covufan

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 04, 2015, 04:34:52 PMI disagree.  If you go, don't get loud.  Sit there quietly and enjoy the game. Over the past few seasons, Detroit seems to thrive on emotion.  It seems to be the only time they play well.  Could be why they always win at the ARC, because usually have a bigger crowd?  I am glad this game is on a snow covered Wednesday night.   A dead atmosphere means a a dead Detroit team. 
Interesting observation!  What do others think?

sliman

I'll try to be quiet then.  But if it's close, or there are bad calls or showboat moves I won't make any promises. 

a3uge

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 04, 2015, 04:34:52 PM

I disagree.  If you go, don't get loud.  Sit there quietly and enjoy the game. Over the past few seasons, Detroit seems to thrive on emotion.  It seems to be the only time they play well.  Could be why they always win at the ARC, because usually have a bigger crowd?  I am glad this game is on a snow covered Wednesday night.   A dead atmosphere means a a dead Detroit team.

#science