• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland @ Valpo - Sunday 2/8/15, 2PM CT

Started by covufan, February 06, 2015, 11:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo4life

Guess I'll post this here. Oakland got it handed to them tonight at Milwaukee, lost 84-67. Which basically knocks them out of contention to win the league.

govalpogo

Yea I'm sure there were more like 15 or so at that game.  The only people that I know that I know on the board are vuweathernerd (where's he been on the board?), rford2009, and Dave_2010.  Maybe I would recognize some faces.  I am good friends with "Orange Shirt Kid" as we were both Theo majors.  He is soon to be ordained in the ELCA while I am a pastor in the UMC.  I finally convinced him to come to a game against Purdue and immediately regretted it.  ML and the staff tried very hard to keep him away from games...lol.  Dude was and still is crazy. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: govalpogo on February 10, 2015, 09:16:19 PMML and the staff tried very hard to keep him away from games...lol.
wow really?  yikes.  i had no idea they really did stuff like that, though I heard a rumor a while back.

EVERYONE!  I HAVE FINALLY DEDUCED WHY OAKLAND NEVER GETS CALLED FOR ANY FOULS!

not even when they are ON THE ROAD!!

are you READY for some TRUTH BOMBS and possibly MORE upper cAse leTTers?

...because it's hard to get whistled for anything WHEN YOU'RE NOT PLAYING DEFENSE.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

We often have spirited back-and-forth posts with members of other teams' boards, including the recent give-and-take with Grizz, and sometimes we forget the many friendly interactions with fans from around the league. Therefore, I thought I'd share this positive post that appeared on the Oakland fan board:

Enjoyed my second visit to the ARC on Sunday. It's a terrific mid-major basketball atmosphere — all that's good about hoops in Indiana.Knowledgable Valpo fans came early, wearing their brown and gold, and they filled the lower bowl. The adults and students stood for the opening tip and didn't sit until the Crusaders scored. The crowd appeared to skew a little bit older than Oakland's fan base. I saw a lot of people who appeared to be my contemporaries — in their 60s. I guess that shouldn't be surprising considering the school's basketball tradition.Legendary coach Homer Drew sat in the stands, opposite the Crusaders bench.I wore my Oakland gear prominently, and everybody was friendly and welcoming. The food was good and inexpensive. I paid $3.50 for an surprisingly enjoyable pulled-chicken sandwich. There was adequate free parking close to the field house.Just wish our guys had made more plays in crunch time. Valpo did. And the fans responded loudly.

oklahomamick

The main problem I see with Oakland is the philosophy of playing time.  If they don't receive the 2 byes it will be difficult due to the large amount minutes their starters play. 

Next year they will be loaded with talent with a couple transfers and an older K. Felder and Hayes.  Regardless of talent, if we have 10 teams with travel partners they better develop a bench. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on February 11, 2015, 09:37:27 AM
We often have spirited back-and-forth posts with members of other teams' boards, including the recent give-and-take with Grizz, and sometimes we forget the many friendly interactions with fans from around the league. Therefore, I thought I'd share this positive post that appeared on the Oakland fan board:

Enjoyed my second visit to the ARC on Sunday. It's a terrific mid-major basketball atmosphere — all that's good about hoops in Indiana.Knowledgable Valpo fans came early, wearing their brown and gold, and they filled the lower bowl. The adults and students stood for the opening tip and didn't sit until the Crusaders scored. The crowd appeared to skew a little bit older than Oakland's fan base. I saw a lot of people who appeared to be my contemporaries — in their 60s. I guess that shouldn't be surprising considering the school's basketball tradition.Legendary coach Homer Drew sat in the stands, opposite the Crusaders bench.I wore my Oakland gear prominently, and everybody was friendly and welcoming. The food was good and inexpensive. I paid $3.50 for an surprisingly enjoyable pulled-chicken sandwich. There was adequate free parking close to the field house.Just wish our guys had made more plays in crunch time. Valpo did. And the fans responded loudly.

Old news.  See my post on page 6!!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on February 11, 2015, 10:51:06 AM
Quote from: valpopal on February 11, 2015, 09:37:27 AM

Old news.  See my post on page 6!!   ;D

Sorry, I missed that first time around. However, I guess good news is worth repeating!  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

I remembered it too, but I still read on, hoping it was a different one : )
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa