• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland @ Valpo - Sunday 2/8/15, 2PM CT

Started by covufan, February 06, 2015, 11:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

This is not a slam at this year's team, just a gut feeling I have personally that I can't shake.  Despite some tremendous efforts this season, the youth of this squad and their inconsistencies, despite winning 21 games already,  have got me thinking that the last time I had a sustained level of confidence that our team could/would win each game as they came along was with Rowdy and KVW.  This team will get there, in my mind, next year, but in the meantime, the remainder of the season for me will be a roller coaster ride during each game and even between games.  In a way, it's fun not knowing for sure that a game is a lock before the tip-off, but I think I prefer the predictability of a veteran team like the 2012/13 team.  Saying that, I am in agreement with those of you who see the game coming down to the final possessions and, hopefully the Crusaders pull it out.

.......and we still have 2+ seasons of watching Alec play    ;D.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 07, 2015, 10:27:59 AM
This is not a slam at this year's team, just a gut feeling I have personally that I can't shake.  Despite some tremendous efforts this season, the youth of this squad and their inconsistencies, despite winning 21 games already,  have got me thinking that the last time I had a sustained level of confidence that our team could/would win each game as they came along was with Rowdy and KVW.  This team will get there, in my mind, next year, but in the meantime, the remainder of the season for me will be a roller coaster ride during each game and even between games.  In a way, it's fun not knowing for sure that a game is a lock before the tip-off, but I think I prefer the predictability of a veteran team like the 2012/13 team.  Saying that, I am in agreement with those of you who see the game coming down to the final possessions and, hopefully the Crusaders pull it out.

.......and we still have 2+ seasons of watching Alec play    ;D.

Not sure I agree.  Can't find the 2012-2013 overall stats, but doubt that team had an average margin of victory of close to 12, which is where we are today. Also doubt we had the rebounding margin this team has. We are out rebounding our opponents by close to 9, way better than anyone else in the conference. We also didn't have a shot blocker as we do this year.That team had the benefit of starting 5 seniors and didn't have any health issues that I can recall. Today's team is more athletic and doesn't rely on one guy (Rowdy) for all the scoring.  Alec had what? 11 points in our last victory? When healthy, (next year) this group could be the best team we have ever had.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 07, 2015, 10:27:59 AM.......and we still have 2+ seasons of watching Alec play   ;D
I would like to revise this to say.......and we still have 2+ seasons of watching Alec and Tevonn play together  ;D
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

HC

With the emergence of the Walkers of late, Oakland won't be able to key in on Peters. I haven't seen much of Oakland since they beat us, but I'm not sure how they are going to guard all these guys who are playing well on the offensive end of late. 

I liked whoever posted earlier about taking Felder down to the post a few times early. I'm not sure who he is going to be able to guard down there.  I'd almost think they might go to a zone/zone trap.

Valpo has improved lots since the last meeting. I'm excited to spend my Sunday afternoon at the ARC!

VULB#62

Quote from: FWalum on February 07, 2015, 11:55:03 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 07, 2015, 10:27:59 AM.......and we still have 2+ seasons of watching Alec play   ;D
I would like to revise this to say.......and we still have 2+ seasons of watching Alec and Tevonn play together  ;D

Quote from: vu72 on February 07, 2015, 11:43:29 AM

Not sure I agree.  Can't find the 2012-2013 overall stats, but doubt that team had an average margin of victory of close to 12, which is where we are today. Also doubt we had the rebounding margin this team has. We are out rebounding our opponents by close to 9, way better than anyone else in the conference. We also didn't have a shot blocker as we do this year.That team had the benefit of starting 5 seniors and didn't have any health issues that I can recall. Today's team is more athletic and doesn't rely on one guy (Rowdy) for all the scoring.  Alec had what? 11 points in our last victory? When healthy, (next year) this group could be the best team we have ever had.

Agree with both you guys.  And FWalum I'd add Smits to that too within that 2 year span.  72, I agree with all the stats you mentioned -- It's just that, personally, I just remember feeling more confident with that senior Rowdy/KVW bunch.  I will say what I love about this squad over any other in my short memory is the commitment to defense.  No doubt as time wears on this crew will be really something special.

wh

Kampe is a master at spinning his team as the poor underdog.  "Valpo is 21-4 or 50-2 or whatever they are."  Refers to his "young" team.  Great strategy - dial down expectations so if you lose you don't look bad and if you win everyone can talk about what a great coach you are.  Of course he never bothers to mention that by choice they threw away 6 possible OOC wins, or that Oakland's "young" team is far more experienced than Valpo's.

Oakland (Yr.,Min.,%)
1   1059    21%   
2     990    20%
3     959    19%
4    1941   39%

Valpo (Yr.,Min.,%)
1    1450    29%
2    1266    25%
3    1589    32%
4      720    14%

OU  60% of minutes and 62% of scoring returning next year
VU  86% of minutes and 90% of scoring returning next year

Not even close...

Just based on the experience difference alone, I'm now not sure if we have any realistic chance of winning this game.  Do you believe in miracles?

classof2014

This team is very special as many have pointed out. The amazing thing is that next season we'll only be better. We'll have 2 standout PGs, in Lexus and KC, this season we've been without the 2 for some time and have been relying on a pseudo-point guard and Max. The Walker's have gotten stronger each and every game and make teams pay for doubling up on Alec and he'll get more open looks if they keep averaging 15-20 PPG. Not to mention we also get Hammink and Levingston as well next season, as well as Smits who will fill the shoes of Vashil.

The calling card of this team is their defense. They are always pressuring the ball handler and force poor shots. We have given up 70 or more points only twice in conference play. That is something to hang your hats on.

I predict a win tomorrow. 78 to 69.

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 07, 2015, 12:09:54 PMAnd FWalum I'd add Smits to that too within that 2 year span.
I was tempted and almost added Derrik to my post, but decided to stick with just the current team members. This next 2 years will be interesting!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on February 07, 2015, 12:12:57 PM
Kampe is a master at spinning his team as the poor underdog.  "Valpo is 21-4 or 50-2 or whatever they are."  Refers to his "young" team.  Great strategy - dial down expectations so if you lose you don't look bad and if you win everyone can talk about what a great coach you are.  Of course he never bothers to mention that by choice they threw away 6 possible OOC wins, or that Oakland's "young" team is far more experienced that Valpo's.

Oakland (Yr.,Min.,%)
1   1059    21%   
2     990    20%
3     959    19%
4    1941   39%

Valpo (Yr.,Min.,%)
1    1450    29%
2    1266    25%
3    1589    32%
4      720    14%

OU  60% of minutes and 62% of scoring returning next year
VU  86% of minutes and 90% of scoring returning next year

Not even close...

Just based on the experience difference alone, I'm now not sure if we have any realistic chance of winning this game.  Do you believe in miracles?

Last game against Valpo, he was quoted on his show as saying, "compete? I just hope we don't get blown off the court."  He's way to generous....
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Quote from: classof2014 on February 07, 2015, 12:39:57 PM
This team is very special as many have pointed out. The amazing thing is that next season we'll only be better. We'll have 2 standout PGs, in Lexus and KC, this season we've been without the 2 for some time and have been relying on a pseudo-point guard and Max. The Walker's have gotten stronger each and every game and make teams pay for doubling up on Alec and he'll get more open looks if they keep averaging 15-20 PPG. Not to mention we also get Hammink and Levingston as well next season, as well as Smits who will fill the shoes of Vashil.

The calling card of this team is their defense. They are always pressuring the ball handler and force poor shots. We have given up 70 or more points only twice in conference play. That is something to hang your hats on.

I predict a win tomorrow. 78 to 69.

It will be difficult for Smits to 'fill the shoes of Vashil' immediately.  Though he is a solid recruit, we can't be making statements that denigrate what Vashil brings to our team on defense.  Smits is more of an offensive player than defensive player currently, based on other posts people have made.  It changes the dynamic of our team quite a bit, as around 10 shots or more are affected by Vashil every game, whether he blocks it or just changes the trajectory of a shot.

Also, we need to give Max Joseph more credit, as he has improved quite a bit from his first games to this point.  I view it as though we have 3 solid PGs next year, with 2 standouts in Lexus and Keith, and a good third option in Max. 

I can't see Levingston doing anything at Valpo, other than being the next Jim Hooper (who apparently lives in DFW now) or Jason Hawkins in 'garbage time.'  The guy played 5 games at UMKC last season, and is a walk-on.  ANY production we get from him in the next few years, will be unexpected. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

I can see where your coach of the year vote will go (as if I didn't already know).

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on February 07, 2015, 02:41:49 PM
I'll just leave this right here.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/

Paul,

Again, it is the sample size of watching him against us.  I don't care what he did against UIC, I don't watch those games.  I watch the games where he looks like a confused child on offense against Valpo :).  I don't have anything at all against Oakland or Kampe, and I don't care about their scheduling.  I am just making an observation on one player who seems to only play well against the rest of the HL, and looks like crap against Valpo every game.
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

So instead of letting the students and fans enjoy a rivalry you are hoping they sit nicely and cheer for both teams to have fun?  :o

Valpofan00

How many seats are there left overall? I see BB is doing well...

ValpoRook

First time post here.  Definately pleased at the thought of multi-20+ winning seasons while Alec and the Walkers do their dance together here at VU.  Wondering what the forum thinks so far about the play of a young Skara --- and what his upside may be 2 to 3 years out?  He doesn't get nearly as much love from the forum, but I think this kid is going to be a real piece to puzzle in the coming few seasons.  Anyone care to venture the typical Skara stat line as a Jr or Sr?

valpospartan

Quote from: FWalum on February 07, 2015, 11:55:03 AM
I would like to revise this to say.......and we still have 2+ seasons of watching Alec and Tevonn and SKARA play together  ;D

Fixed it for you.

wh

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 07, 2015, 08:29:12 AMOakland is a well-coached team and has been playing well.  In my view, this is a tougher game than many Valpo fans might be expecting.  Valpo will need solid performances against Green Bay and Oakland to setup a chance to win the regular season. Valpo 76 Oakland 72

The difference in fouls called on Crusaders guarding Felder at the ARC alone will account for from 10 to 14 points less for the Grizzlies. Yes, we might lose 4 to 6 points since Carter won't play and 2-4 points since our point guards will have a few more TO's. Maybe Petros isn't quite as bad as he has been recently against Valpo for about 4-6 points. But think how many more points the Walkers can score in a home game (10-12 points). Vashil will probably add 2-4 points to his score.

I'm thinking Valpo wins this game by 10 points.  The real differences will be the Walkers greater scoring and Felder not getting 24 free throws.

Should we do a poll on how many free throws Felder will shoot against Valpo?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: ValpoRook on February 07, 2015, 08:55:52 PM
First time post here.  Definately pleased at the thought of multi-20+ winning seasons while Alec and the Walkers do their dance together here at VU.  Wondering what the forum thinks so far about the play of a young Skara --- and what his upside may be 2 to 3 years out?  He doesn't get nearly as much love from the forum, but I think this kid is going to be a real piece to puzzle in the coming few seasons.  Anyone care to venture the typical Skara stat line as a Jr or Sr?

I don't know if you were at the game the other night, but in case you weren't take at look at an amazing play he made beginning at the 1:30 mark of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14gGQzylu0#t=110

This is a 6-8 freshman who intercepts a pass, leads the break the other way like a guard, shows a great basketball I.Q. in heading to the middle from the side court, and hits Darien Walker streaking in from his left with a beautiful lead dribble pass at just the right moment for an easy layup.  That was a good play for an experienced guard.  It was a great play for a 6-8 freshman forward.  He's getting great experience this year.  He's with great players and an excellent coaching staff.  Bryce has spoken very positively about him on numerous occasions.  I have a feeling he's going to hit the ground running next year and have a great sophomore season.  If that happens, Valpo will be oozing with talent all over the court.   

agibson

Quote from: Pgmado on February 07, 2015, 02:41:49 PM
I'll just leave this right here.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/

I didn't believe him when he said it took Valpo five years to win the Horizon.  Somehow recent success has colored my memory!  I guess there were a couple of Butler national championship games that had to happen there first... But, as soon as they were out of the way... (OK, it's not like we were runner-ups while they were still around.  Just beating _them_, not everyone else in the league...)

Very nice piece.

IndyValpo

For those of us in central Indiana, this game will be on MyIndy TV 23.

vu72

Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 07, 2015, 06:32:58 PM
How many seats are there left overall? I see BB is doing well...

I just counted 90 seats left in the combined lower level.  There are 2000 seats in the lower level and 500 seats fro students.  So, if 500 kids come that gets the attendance to 2500 with zero folks upstairs.  The upstairs seats total 3000. All the walk-ups will be seated upstairs and there are several seats sold already.  If the weather is good (current forecast calls for 40 and a few showers starting mostly after the game is underway), I'd say 4000-4500 is clearly in reach.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

HC

Don't forget upstairs is where all faculty and staff and their family/guests sit. Should be a loud rocking crowd if the students show up!