• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UWGB @ Valpo, Friday 2/13/15 6:00 CST tip ESPN2

Started by talksalot, February 09, 2015, 02:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

May as well get'er started...

Here are the results of the last 5 times we've played on February 13th:

2010 - Beat Youngstown, at Youngstown, 77-75
2009 - Beat Loyola in the ARC, 71-47
2003 - Beat Chicago State, at Chicago State 81-70
1999 - Lost to Youngstown, at Youngstown 61-60
1995 - Beat Northeastern Illinois Univ at NEIU, 87-78
1993 - Beat Northern Illinois at DeKalb 72-61

Over the past 20 years, 5-1, with average margin 9+ ppg.
Last loss at home on February 13 was 1988 to Northern Iowa 81-77.

Look at it another way.... in Game #26... we are now 22-7 after the OAK win over the past 29 seasons.  Game #27 has not been good us... 9-19 over the past 28 years.... most of those have been on the road.  The history of home games that are the 27th game on the schedule...

2012-13 - UDM 84-74 LOSS
2006-07 - WIU 80-56 WIN
2003-04 - Chicago State 74-66 WIN
2000-01 - IUPUI 64-56 LOSS
1999-00 - Youngstown 65-57 WIN
1997-98 - UMKC 75-65 WIN
1996-97 - Troy State 72-69 LOSS
1994-95 - Youngstown State 77-52 WIN, MidCon Tournament Round 1

Kyle321n

So what's the results of games we played on Friday the 13th? Since 2002 I was only able to find 3 instances one of which was a February date.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 vs. Loyola Chicago W, 71-47   
Fri Nov 13, 2010 @ Ball St. L, 88-78
Fri, Jan 13, 2012 vs. Youngstown St. W, 76-62

Let's hope that bad luck continues to befall Green Bay when they come to the ARC. If you remember, Brian Wardle injured himself getting off the bus here last year.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

HC

he fell and Valpo pounded them into submission without Alec Brown.  Then there was that time before that with a missed free throw by Mr. Brown.....

Anyways, I will take Valpo by 3 63-60.

truth219

Wear a valpo shirt and get a free general admission ticket. Tell me that wouldn't be fun!

talksalot

Here's the 5-days-out-forecast...
Low Thursday night   2F

Friday day:  More Clouds than sun, High 22F, winds SW 10-15PMH

Friday night: Increasingly windy with snow showers after midnight.  Low 13F, winds WNW at 20-30 MPH, chance of snow 40%.

vu84v2

Similar to the last two games, I think that this game will be close with Valpo holding a 3-6 point lead towards the closing minutes.  Valpo wins 71-66.  If Carter does play, my guess is that he will play two 2-4 minute bursts in the first and second half. It would be doubtful that he is in game shape to play much more than that.

LaPorteAveApostle

I will resist the urge to post the Naples 5-day.

(just imagine yours:  "cold and colder!" and then take out the "c"s ; )
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Sounds like the same conditions as last year when the Waddling Wardle appeared after slipping on some ice...

VUfan

My Wisconsin cold makes the Spring Sweeter then your spring!!!
VU 76 UWGB 69  that's the truth  ;D

Kyle321n

If Carter's back I could see him getting the minutes that Max has gotten the last 5 games. I don't see Jubril, Peters, or Vashil's minutes dropping. I also don't think Keith is going to cut into Skara's minutes much either, but if Bryce wants to keep the Walkers out there for close to 30 a game then Skara's going to lose a bit. That's yet to be seen.

Taking a look at the last 4 competitive games (throwing out the Milwaukee result because that's atypical of this conference season) here's how the guard rotation has gone:

T. Walker- 31 mpg
D. Walker- 28 mpg
EVictor- 27 mpg
Joseph- 14 mpg
Skara- 22 mpg

For the Green Bay game I could see them splitting it up like this:
T. Walker- 30 mpg
D. Walker- 26 mpg
EVictor- 20 mpg
Joseph- 9 mpg
Skara- 22 mpg
Carter- 14 mpg
With Peters (34), Vashil (30), and Jubril (15) staying the same
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: VUfan on February 09, 2015, 04:18:30 PM

You mean this kind of spring?   ;D

Dallas, TX
Monday 4:00 PM
Partly Cloudy
undefined
75°F | °C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 40%
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

If Carter is healthy enough to play, he'll play significant minutes. If there's a good risk of re-injury, he'll play 0 minutes. We'll find out if he's hampered by the injury and ineffective on Friday, but I don't think his minutes will be cut down if he plays.

valpo4life

I don't like trying to predict people's minutes. Bryce typically rides the hot hand. Yesterday against Oakland, Skara was playing an excellent game. Thus, he played 29 minutes which is a full 10 more than his average in conference games. Minutes will be dictated by how the game is going.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on February 09, 2015, 04:40:37 PMIf Carter is healthy enough to play, he'll play significant minutes.
Maybe.

Keith has been out for a month and in his absence the team and the coaches have adjusted extremely well. So what happens if he feels the necessity to reestablish his team control over a group that has just went 8-1 without him and equally important is what happens if he doesn't? This is much trickier than many would think and in retrospect I can think of no similar situations where the transition has been seamless. On top of this even if the toe is 100%  how long will it take the body to reach that 100% level as well? Timing, rust, communication will all be concerns. Barring a blowout my prediction gives him about 5 minutes on the floor tops and even that amount might prove to be counter productive.

VUfan

Quote from: vu72 on February 09, 2015, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: VUfan on February 09, 2015, 04:18:30 PM

You mean this kind of spring?   ;D

Dallas, TX
Monday 4:00 PM
Partly Cloudy
undefined
75°F | °C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 40%

that is close. .close to summer

talksalot

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2015, 04:02:54 PMI will resist the urge to post the Naples 5-day.

OK LAA, I'll post the Naples 5-day for you...

tonight 7
tomorrow 31 and partly cloudy
tomorrow night -4 and partly cloudy
Wednesday, sunny and 20
Wednesday night, Clear and 1
Thursday 23 with afternoon snow showers
Friday 18 and snow  (1-3")

you did mean Naples, Maine? Didn't you?   Naples Italy is 55-58 and sunny all week.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on February 09, 2015, 09:12:08 PMyou did mean Naples, Maine? Didn't you? 
nope naples idaho
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/ID/Naples.html

Actually, it will get fairly cold down here--lows in the 40s some days coming up!
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/fl/Naples.html

I am unfortunately going to miss this game because of a benefit concert I've put together...ironically with a co-worker who's a UWGB alumna :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo4life

Just wanted to point out that it's just Monday, and over half of section BB tickets are sold for this game. Sales are looking pretty good for it being the beginning of the week. Fully expecting our biggest crowd of the year. This week can't go by fast enough.

valpotx

Hopefully we get a solid raucous crowd for this important game!

Valpo 77
GB 66
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

If Keith plays on Friday chances are he's practicing with the team this whole week. The team did adjust to having EVN be the primary PG but it shouldn't take terribly long for the team to readjust with Keith running the point. If he is back I doubt he'll play his normal amount of minutes due to being rusty after missing a five to six weeks.

Who knows maybe he has a career night as he was pumped up to be able to get back on the court, it doesn't happen often but it does happen. We have a great chance to make a statement on national tv on a Friday night. The race will come down to us and GB in the end.

I don't think Oakland and CSU are complete enough as teams to win the HL. CSU's defense is great but offense can be suspect at time while its vice versa for Oakland. Both Valpo and GB are the two most complete teams in the league. Whoever wins Friday night hosts the tourney.

gamelord

I'd say if Keith Carter is playing then we win by 9. If he doesn't play then we'll win a nail biter by 1 point.

covufan

With KC or without, we win this one.  We'll be ready. 

Valpo    69
UWGB   60

In past years, I'd be more worried about the @Milwaukee game on Sunday.  A real chance for a letdown after being up and prepared for GB on Friday.  I think this team will be prepared for both games.

justducky

With KC playing major minutes expect a struggle. With KC playing minor minutes we win by 3.

SanityLost17

I don't have a problem with him going on there and playing 6 minutes per half in a backup role to Nickerson.  Any more than that will be a little much for his 1st game back.  If I was him I would start slow by focusing on defense and creating opportunities for teammates.  Don't be too aggressive with the drive just yet, and don't force/rush any shots from the outside.  I could be wrong, maybe he is 100% and ready to roll, but I doubt that.