• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

UWGB @ Valpo, Friday 2/13/15 6:00 CST tip ESPN2

Started by talksalot, February 09, 2015, 02:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: classof2014 on February 14, 2015, 10:41:55 PM
Quote from: FWalum on February 14, 2015, 10:31:13 PM

I think we should be asking ourselves... when was the last time we had a guard who had the ability and strength to get to the rack and create the way that T Walker has shown?  He has the complete package both on offense and defense.  Any thoughts?

LVD certainly had the ability to get to the rack and score at will at times. Although his defense was no where near as good and Tevonn has 3+ more seasons to improve on his game. When Tevonn signed with Valpo I thought he was gonna be the best out of the 14/15 class. There was a reason why he was a top 10 player in Canada, he very easily can become one of the most dominant guards in Valpo history.

I was thinking the same thing.  LVD does come to mind.  I also think that D Walker is similar to Matt Kenney.  The interesting thing is that the LVD and Matt we are comparing were both seniors.  Our current guys can only get better the longer they play together.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: historyman on February 14, 2015, 11:17:48 PM
Quote from: agibson on February 14, 2015, 03:35:58 PMHopefully there can be some dignified balance.

I thought that was the balance you try to maintain when you leave your seat in the middle of the row and have to scoot by those same "irritated" neighbors in the bleachers who give you the stink eye as you dignifingly balance on the way past them.   :-[

We could have a whole thread about this!

There are lots of dead balls in basketball - couldn't people wait for one before getting up and moving around?  Is that only a baseball courtesy? I try to hold my tongue unless they actually stop in front of me during the action.  But, sometimes it's a challenge!

agibson

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 15, 2015, 07:32:43 AM
I traveled to Croatia on business and the people were wonderful and the wine an unknown international secret.  They love sport in that country - soccer is also huge there and they compete very well internationally.

I dug the street food.  I wonder what Skara thinks of Vaps in Valpo?

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on February 15, 2015, 08:22:37 AM
I traveled to Croatia on business and the people were wonderful and the wine an unknown international secret.  They love sport in that country - soccer is also huge there and they compete very well internationally.

That's Serbian not Croatian
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 15, 2015, 11:16:45 AM
Quote from: agibson on February 15, 2015, 08:22:37 AM

That's Serbian not Croatian

Same thing.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 15, 2015, 11:16:45 AMThat's Serbian not Croatian
eek good point

DON'T ASK HIM

...anyone remember in the days of the ol' Vidette-Mess how there was a perpetual war of words in the letters to the editor between Serbs and Croats, et al.?  I remember asking my dad about it and I got a lesson in blood feuds.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

humbleopinion

Interesting conversation about Buggs and Nickerson. 

Not really a good comparison between Buggs and Nickerson.  Certainly Nickerson is not really a point guard and, as was mentioned, doesn't really have a point guard's court vision.  What he does have is the ability to go over the top of most of the players that would be guarding him. He has shown that he can manufacture opportunities, he just needs to finish better.  This should come as he just gets more time on the court.  While I know he had 5 TO's the other night, I don't really think he has handled the ball that poorly on the dribble, I find his decision making and passing more suspect and tentative.  That being said I find it just amazing what this group of "guards" has done without a true PG.

KC, if he can get and stay healthy, has lots of tools with which to work with.  I don't feel we have really seen his full potential.

I think we should be asking ourselves... when was the last time we had a guard who had the ability and strength to get to the rack and create the way that T Walker has shown?  He has the complete package both on offense and defense.  Any thoughts?

Let's not forget that Nickerson is not healthy.  When he fell the other night on his hip, the reaction by the VU bench was an indication of how fragile he still is.  We only are beginning to see his potential. There have been a few times that he has slashed to the bucket quite effectively. I would not advocate for him playing the point based on what we have seen thus far, but a tall guard can have some distinct advantages.  I remember a guy named Pippen who played for the Bulls...
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

Despite a busy weekend, I have now managed to upload a gallery with nearly forty photos from the Green Bay game. While we await the start of the Milwaukee game, feel free to browse these images, which include some good crowd shots. Also, a few forum members introduced themselves to me Friday, and I want to note it is always a pleasure to meet each of you in person. Link to photo album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157650417062448/

VULB#62

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 15, 2015, 11:49:55 AM
Interesting conversation about Buggs and Nickerson. 

Not really a good comparison between Buggs and Nickerson.  Certainly Nickerson is not really a point guard and, as was mentioned, doesn't really have a point guard's court vision.  What he does have is the ability to go over the top of most of the players that would be guarding him. He has shown that he can manufacture opportunities, he just needs to finish better.  This should come as he just gets more time on the court.  While I know he had 5 TO's the other night, I don't really think he has handled the ball that poorly on the dribble, I find his decision making and passing more suspect and tentative.  That being said I find it just amazing what this group of "guards" has done without a true PG.

KC, if he can get and stay healthy, has lots of tools with which to work with.  I don't feel we have really seen his full potential.

Let's not forget that Nickerson is not healthy.  When he fell the other night on his hip, the reaction by the VU bench was an indication of how fragile he still is.  We only are beginning to see his potential. There have been a few times that he has slashed to the bucket quite effectively. I would not advocate for him playing the point based on what we have seen thus far, but a tall guard can have some distinct advantages.  I remember a guy named Pippen who played for the Bulls...

EVN was playing a lot of today's game in some pain.  He hobbled at times and when he was subbed for, he would just walk back and forth behind the bench - seldom sitting.  He's playing on some guts.

classof2014

2 games in 3 days is quite the load, the whole team seemed a bit dogged out there after the battle with Green Bay.

EVN did an absolute sensational job while KC was out. The team went 10-1... 10 and freaking 1!!! The kid underwent double hip surgery this summer didn't start playing till basically the opening tip of the season.

If there was a comeback player of the year award he would easily win it. Not many players can undergo that major of a surgery, comeback, have your coach ask you to play an unfamiliar position to fill in for the injured pointguards right when conference season begins, then have the team go 10-1 while he was quarterbacking the offense. He did have his struggles but overall, he did a sensational job.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on February 15, 2015, 08:21:10 AMI try to hold my tongue unless they actually stop in front of me during the action.

Tweye dat hen day tand n oo ay. Dey weally wook dat oo unny.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: classof2014 on February 14, 2015, 10:41:55 PMWhen Tevonn signed with Valpo I thought he was gonna be the best out of the 14/15 class. There was a reason why he was a top 10 player in Canada, he very easily can become one of the most dominant guards in Valpo history.

Sounds strange but Tavonn could actually become an All-American. Sounds strange but I kind you not.