• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo in NCAA Power Rankings

Started by FWalum, February 12, 2015, 08:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Was hunting around this morning waiting on some answers from a development team in India that I work with and found this on the NCAA site. I guess someone is taking notice.  http://www.ncaa.com/power-rankings/basketball-men/d1/2015/04 We are at #14
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on February 12, 2015, 08:00:00 AM
Was hunting around this morning waiting on some answers from a development team in India that I work with and found this on the NCAA site. I guess someone is taking notice.  http://www.ncaa.com/power-rankings/basketball-men/d1/2015/04 We are at #14

How do they come up with these power rankings? Seems a bit weird that we'd be ranked ahead Kansas, UNC, Louisville...

vusupporter

Math.

QuoteThe NCAA.com Power Rankings are based solely on team statistics. The formula includes current stats for points per game, opponents' points per game, field-goal percentage (offensive and defensive), turnover margin and record.

agibson

This may be a sign I need a bigger handheld.

The RPI table really threw me!  But, finally, I saw the nicely highlighted sidebar (off the edge of my screen).

Nice!

[cynic]
No factor for SOS.
[/cynic]

Kyle321n

I'm glad we're getting the respect we should, but being ahead of Kansas, Louisville and one behind Wichita? That's a joke.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

classof2014

It is neat to see Valpo ranked so high... Perhaps this is a good sign that if we don't win the conference tournament there is a slight chance at an at large.

We need to host and lose by one or something similar to GB in order to have any possibility at getting an at large... even that is unlikely. Barring an absolute collapse down the stretch we should get an NIT bid.

FWalum

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 12, 2015, 09:08:58 AM
I'm glad we're getting the respect we should, but being ahead of Kansas, Louisville and one behind Wichita? That's a joke.

I was not suggesting that I thought we are ahead of any of those teams, just that it caught me off guard to see Valpo on the first page of the RPI ranking screen, kind of headlining the power rankings.  Thought that was pretty cool and wanted to save it for posterity.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on February 12, 2015, 09:10:31 AMIt is neat to see Valpo ranked so high... Perhaps this is a good sign that if we don't win the conference tournament there is a slight chance at an at large.

I don't know that I'd go that far.  And, I'm not at all sure of an NIT bid - I've not thought much about it yet, but it doesn't feel at all solid, gut-wise.  It's just a commuter ranking, and not a very sophisticated one at that.  (Though I see we are #24 on bbstate.com.  A somewhat more sophisticated computer ranking.)

But, in any case, it's good to show up high in any ranking system.  And, it can't hurt to build some conversation, discussion, momentum.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vusupporter on February 12, 2015, 08:31:39 AM
Math.

QuoteThe NCAA.com Power Rankings are based solely on team statistics. The formula includes current stats for points per game, opponents' points per game, field-goal percentage (offensive and defensive), turnover margin and record.
bbbbbut but but schedule!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

hailcrusaders

Seems to me like simply a collection of teams that are playing well of late, regardless of conference or head to head talent. The actual rankings are comparatively arbitrary. Good to see we're getting national attention though
#CrusadersForever

vu84v2

Strength of schedule greater than 300 prevents any possible chance at at-large and probably even an NIT. Need to win the conference tournament and need to host it to greatly improve chances of winning it.

a3uge

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 12, 2015, 12:07:03 PM
Strength of schedule greater than 300 prevents any possible chance at at-large and probably even an NIT. Need to win the conference tournament and need to host it to greatly improve chances of winning it.

SOS projects to 243, which is bad, but if we win out and lose at home to UWGB our RPI projects to 48 with an SOS of 202. Not out of the question for an at-large, but still very unlikely. It'll take a few bad losses to escape the NIT though. For one, we automatically qualify for the NIT if we win the regular season. But if we lose to UWGB and then lose again in the championship game, that RPIs still better than over 2/3rds of the NIT last year. But again, it comes down to the quality of teams that win other conferences.

LaPorteAveApostle

stop it you make too much sense for this board to handle
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

I think they were basing this on a specific statistical observation or two.  I got the impression it was not meant to be a comprehensive take.