• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU @ UWM Sunday 2/15 1pm tip

Started by talksalot, February 13, 2015, 10:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2015, 09:11:17 AMI think it would have been top 5 if not for ALL-STAR weekend.
They didn't seem to understand that this was 6'1" vs 6'10".  Should have been ranked higher.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

HC

Next years intro video before we play Milwaukee should just be two minutes of that dunk.

justducky

Back to the game. Tiby played all 40 minutes, went only 3-11 from the field, but grabbed 8 rebounds. While we played man I would cringe every time he got the ball as he was mostly guarded by Darien at 6' 3". I am not certain that Darien won but he clearly held his own in a mismatch that UWM should have been able to exploit.

valpo4life

Quote from: justducky on February 16, 2015, 11:26:39 AM
Back to the game. Tiby played all 40 minutes, went only 3-11 from the field, but grabbed 8 rebounds. While we played man I would cringe every time he got the ball as he was mostly guarded by Darien at 6' 3". I am not certain that Darien won but he clearly held his own in a mismatch that UWM should have been able to exploit.

One could say that their offense became stagnant due to them trying to force the offense to run through Tiby because of the matchup. But it's not like we were forced into this "mismatch". Bryce chose this matchup and had the usual post trapping defense in place. Unfortunately a couple times Vashil didn't do a great job of it and Panoske (sp?) hit a couple 3's in the first half. Either way I liked the choice because it keeps Alec out of a position where he could easily get into foul trouble and also allow him to go get rebounds with more freedom than battling on the block for them.

StlVUFan

1.  I'm pretty sure it's "Penoske"
2.  I asked Jimmy Lemke, who was sitting courtside opposite the Panther bench with a birds-eye view (we were blocked in 221), and although he didn't see the over-and-back call in the 2nd half, he said they laughed out loud several times at the ridiculous calls that Milwaukee was getting.  Said this ref crew was horrible.  He said on the jump ball that Tiby secured with Fernandez, Tiby wasn't even touching the ball.
3.  My own take was that the only possible way that call was right is if the defender never touched it, but if I remember right, that conclusion would be borderline absurd.
4.  At any rate, the pbp guy had no reason whatsoever to bitch if he was saying the Panthers got screwed.  They were, per usual, bad both ways.
5.  The guy doing PA for the game is the guy I'm used to hearing doing Panther broadcasts that aren't on TV (used to be Darren Sutton on the call), and I thought he was the worst.  Maybe the guy yesterday studied under him.  From the sounds of things, neither one of them aspires to do national broadcasting in real life because I would hope such displays of unprofessionalism are not tolerated at that level.

HC

They were going to let him shoot 3s all day....he was that wide open for a reason, and the reason wasn't because Vashil was playing poorly.

valpo64

Another gem from the UWM broadcast guy was when he said he only knew of one ref but you can't trust the other 2 guys...are you kidding me?  You can't trust them?

a3uge

Almost forgot the one where Tevonn forced a hook shot at the end of the shot clock and it hit the  backboard... He got his own rebound and airballed a tough fadeaway. The announcer insisted Tevonn was trying to "throw it down" again and missed a dunk completely and that he may show up on both the top 10 and not top 10.

valpo4life

Quote from: HC on February 16, 2015, 01:16:41 PM
They were going to let him shoot 3s all day....he was that wide open for a reason, and the reason wasn't because Vashil was playing poorly.

I know this. The trap is supposed to be hard and on the catch. Which makes any kind of good kick out pass difficult. A couple of times Tiby was able to make an easy pass straight to Panoske. Regardless if he can shoot or not, that's not what you want when trapping the post. Obviously you are going to want him or Springs taking outside shots. No doubting that. Just saying the trap wasn't as good as were accustomed to seeing.

bbtds

The biggest disappointment I will have due to Milwaukee not playing in the HL tourney is that there will be no "Guess the amount of hair on Tiby's head for the HL tourney contest."

yes, that's Tiby on the left

oklahomamick

Since they are ineligible for Postseason play, I would have redshirted him.
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

The player has to want to redshirt too.  Given that they're not that great--they might be able to win the first game they hosted, but certainly wouldn't be picked to advance--it seems like a pretty steep price to pay, to practice for 12 months in exchange for two extra games later.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: wh on February 17, 2015, 08:01:44 AM
MBB: Valparaiso Postgame Comments

Very complementary to Tevonn.  Jeter did a nice job with the presser.

Listening to him talk about Mikwaukee's six minute scoring drought, I sure remember those from Valpo in seasons past.  Not too many this year - so many scoring threats!

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on February 17, 2015, 08:45:38 AM
Quote from: wh on February 17, 2015, 08:01:44 AM
MBB: Valparaiso Postgame Comments

Very complementary to Tevonn.  Jeter did a nice job with the presser.

Watch this video starting at 4:30 "Well,,,,He is just so strong"   "Did he dunk that one to? He might have dunked all of them." the look on his face says it all.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

They also showed the postgame on the jumbotron at Panther Arena.  I saw some of it while I was there.

Kinda wish Valpo did that too.