• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wright State @ Valpo 2/21/15 7:05pm Senior Night @ the ARC

Started by talksalot, February 16, 2015, 07:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...but I believe students got the freebies in the past, maybe a the first few hundred or something, but the staff and faculty have to pay for these games.

agibson

Quote from: HC on February 22, 2015, 08:45:18 PMbut the staff and faculty have to pay for these games.

Yeah, I remember that part ;)  But happy to do it.

The timing looks somewhat poor for us.  I might be looking for a sports bar for the semi-final, but should be at the final, probably with the kids.

HC

agibson

Quote from: HC on February 22, 2015, 08:52:43 PM
Why a sports bar? Out of town that night?

Yeah, exactly. A not-very-densely-populated bit of Long Island.  Maybe the place I'm staying will have the U.  Otherwise, we'll see about finding a venue...

bbtds

Vashil ought to save that picture for his daughter's prom date.

Mr. Fernandez:
Son, now that you have seen my gun collection, you can look at this picture of me as a college basketball player. Did I tell you I could block just about any shot on the court. Yes, I'm exceptionally good at blocking things.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Pgmado on February 22, 2015, 07:57:36 PM
Have covered multiple high schools this year where players have kids.
Yeesh...but teen pregnancy is honestly not the problem in our society.

Unwed preganancy...now there's our problem.

My wife, who went to HS with Amar'e Stoudemire, said her HS had an onsite day-care center.

Hm. I believe the appositive and the indirect quotation in the previous sentence are unrelated.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

Not to get off topic, but without looking at the stats it seemed Vashil didn't play a whole lot. Was it that he wasn't very effective (mind elsewhere perhaps) or Jubril was the better matchup on this night?

valpo4life

Quote from: HC on February 22, 2015, 09:27:01 PM
Not to get off topic, but without looking at the stats it seemed Vashil didn't play a whole lot. Was it that he wasn't very effective (mind elsewhere perhaps) or Jubril was the better matchup on this night?

Nothing really stood out to me. Jubril was just on the court when we had our little spurt and I believe Bryce rolled with what was working.

Valpofan00

I'm not sure where to ask this so I'll just post this here. Do they name the horizon league awards as soon as the season is over? Before the tournament starts?

agibson

Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 22, 2015, 10:19:59 PM
I'm not sure where to ask this so I'll just post this here. Do they name the horizon league awards as soon as the season is over? Before the tournament starts?

Before the tournament starts.  Probably the announcement will be Monday March 2.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2015, 08:46:46 PM
Quote from: HC on February 22, 2015, 08:45:18 PMbut the staff and faculty have to pay for these games.

Yeah, I remember that part ;)  But happy to do it.

The timing looks somewhat poor for us.  I might be looking for a sports bar for the semi-final, but should be at the final, probably with the kids.

Argh... my flight's not quite so early as I thought.  It may all be a scramble... Should at least have radio for the final?

valpopal

historyman

Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2015, 11:08:34 PM
Quote from: agibson on February 22, 2015, 08:46:46 PM
Yeah, I remember that part ;)  But happy to do it. The timing looks somewhat poor for us.  I might be looking for a sports bar for the semi-final, but should be at the final, probably with the kids.
Argh... my flight's not quite so early as I thought.  It may all be a scramble... Should at least have radio for the final?

Call ahead to the motel. If the night clerk is not so busy they can find the channel line-up in one of the rooms and let you know if they get the ESPN channel you need.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on February 22, 2015, 09:07:08 PMVashil ought to save that picture for his daughter's prom date. Mr. Fernandez: Son, now that you have seen my gun collection, you can look at this picture of me as a college basketball player. Did I tell you I could block just about any shot on the court. Yes, I'm exceptionally good at blocking things.

There was one thing I didn't block very well......and it won't happen again.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo84

Guess the one thing I didn't focus on with Wright State is that Grant Benzinger is the son of Todd Benzinger, former Reds 1B who caught the last out of the 1990 World Series sweep of the A's. Wright State seems to collect former MLB sons -- Tabler before.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valporun

valpo84, I thought Todd Benzinger was a pitcher on that 1990 Cincinnati Reds team, and Paul O'Neill was the 1st baseman?

valporun

Nevermind, I just looked at Baseball Almanac, and I was completely and totally dead wrong. 25 years since that team won will do that, I guess.

StlVUFan

Quote from: drewsaders11 on February 21, 2015, 09:11:26 PM
Should we look on the downside that Valpo hasn't won any of their last 6 by double digits, or look on the bright side that we seem to always get it done? Peters quietly going for 17-10. 

It might be only me, but I'd rather see the refs put the whistle in their pocket more often (like tonight and vs. Mil last week) as opposed to having players on each side in foul trouble.  Your good players are able to play more of the game, and the game flows a lot more smoothly.
You'd like to see players injuring each other?

I'd like to see the referees do their jobs: call every foul that is committed, according to the rule book.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 22, 2015, 05:21:13 PMDo you have an idea why they make us and not other schools? Is it because the student section is so close to the other teams bench?
I don't believe that's true.  I believe every school is required to do this if they host.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo84 on February 23, 2015, 10:31:52 AM
Guess the one thing I didn't focus on with Wright State is that Grant Benzinger is the son of Todd Benzinger, former Reds 1B who caught the last out of the 1990 World Series sweep of the A's. Wright State seems to collect former MLB sons -- Tabler before.

Todd Benzinger has attended a number of Wright St games this year including the Valpo @ WSU game. Although like many famous athletes he is hard to recognize because of a greater abundance of gray hairs.

Another interesting fact. Todd Benzinger was born in Dayton, KENTUCKY.

a3uge