• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Post Season Awards and Tourney Predictions

Started by HC, March 01, 2015, 08:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Powell will look for the right opportunity. You cannot blame him for that.

classof2014

This thread is Post Season Awards and Tourney Predictions

So here is my predictions for the tourney

Round 1:

Youngstown St vs Detroit -- Detroit
Wright St vs UIC -- Wright St

Round 2:

Detroit vs Cleveland St -- Detroit
Wright St vs Oakland -- Oakland

Round 3:

Detroit vs Valpo -- Valpo
Oakland vs Green Bay -- Green Bay

Chapionship:

Green Bay vs Valpo -- Valpo

All tournament team:

Darien Walker (MVP)
Alec Peters
Keifer Sykes
Paris Bass
Corey Petros

valpo84

There are 3 jobs that would worry me if they came open -- ND, Indiana and Purdue. Those 3 might have the right combination of money, location and prestige that would entice Bryce. Illinois, DePaul and NW are also possibilities, but not sure they're worth the gamble in this new era. Shaka Smart stayed at VCU when other programs (ACC) came calling. It means we need to make Bryce happy, whatever that is -- infrastructure or salaries, recruiting budget or assistant salaries.

BTW, losing Roger Powell would be tough.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Smj

[poster steps up on his soapbox]

It seems like every year at this time everyone wants to talk about Bryce leaving VU.   It is like you are saying "why would he want to stay here? "   ...   better throw money at him.

I love that Bryce is the coach and I think it is great for the program but at the end of the day this is a school (with a basketball team) not a basketball team (with a school).   Do what is right for the school and for the "student" athletes and what should happen will happen.

[poster steps down from his soap box]

Kyle321n

Kyle's All Conference teams

I used KenPom as my only statistical qualifiers for this, so mine's going to look very different.

To qualify for any award you had to play in 13 conference games.

All Defensive Team
To qualify for Defensive awards, you had to have played in 50% of your team's minutes.
DPOY- Anton Grady - 2nd in the league in DReb% and adds in 7.2 Blk% (3rd) and 3.5 Stl% (2nd), easily leading the league when combining all 3 categories. He's actively getting stats in 36.6% of all defensive possessions.
1st Team- Vashil Fernandez - led the league in block % by a wide margin and top 10 in DReb%. Was second to Grady in the combined D categories with 28.1
1st Team- Jordan Fouse - led the league in steal % with 4.1 and threw in 4.0 block % for good measure. Was 4th in the combined D categories with 25.6
1st Team- Matt Tiby - 3rd in overall D categories, he led the league in DReb%
1st Team- Steve McWorter- 5th in Steal %, he finished 2nd among 6'3" players in DReb% and had a Blk% of 1.0. While not very high in the combined D categories, he was the best D Guard.

All Freshman Team
To qualify for Freshman awards, you had to have played in 30% of your team's minutes. (This leaves 11 qualified Freshmen)
FOY- Tevonn Walker - Led freshmen in ORTG among players to use 15% of their team's total possessions and all freshmen in Min%.
1st Team- Paris Bass -  Led freshmen in Possession% as well as Blk%, ARate, and DReb%.
1st Team- Grant Benzinger - Had a True Shooting % of 60.6 and led freshmen in 3PM by a wide margin.
1st Team- Jalen Hayes - The 4th freshman with a ORtg of 100+ and 10%+ possesions used. 2nd in DReb% and Steal%
1st Team- Jaleel Hogan - While only having a 7.4 Poss % he had a 112 ORtg. He led freshmen in OReb% and was 2nd Blk%. He also led freshmen in FTRate.

All Conference Team
To qualify for All Conference awards, you had to play in 75% of your team's minutes and use 20% of your teams possessions. (This leaves 14 qualified players)
POY- Alec Peters - The only player with a 120+ ORtg. 3rd in True FG%,OReb%, DReb%, TORate, and 4th in the Combined D Stats.
1st Team- Kahlil Felder - 2nd in the league in %poss used and finished 3rd in ORtg. Far and away the highest ARate, 2nd in FTRate and 4th in Stl%.
1st Team- Keifer Sykes - 1st in %poss used and 6th in ORtg. 4th in ARate and 2nd in TORate. 3nd in Stl%.
1st Team- Corey Petros - 2nd in ORtg and was one of the most efficient players in the league. 1st in effective FG%, OReb% and TORate, and 4th in DReb%
1st Team- Anton Grady - 1st in Defensive Stats and the KenPom DPoY. Solid Offensive side with 2nd in OReb%, and 1st in 2PM.

2nd Team- All 5 of the 9 players who had 110+ ORtgs
Greg Mays
Steve McWorter
Trey Lewis
Juwan Howard Jr
Tevonn Walker
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

oklahomamick

The only upsets I see a possibility as is wsu/uic and detroit/CSU.  Not really upsets but only because of seedings. 

I think greenbay has the easiest road to the finals. 
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: classof2014 on March 02, 2015, 08:30:58 AMThis thread is Post Season Awards and Tourney Predictions

with a bit of the anxiety of "Bryce is leaving and the sky is falling" (thanks 89!) that has happened every year since Bryce took the job. And yet Bryce is still here despite all the benefits that are graced on Valpo by the Drew family's presence being taken for granted by the board of directors. One day the board will see that Valpo has benefited from the Drew name more than the board ever thought.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: classof2014 on March 02, 2015, 08:30:58 AMSo here is my predictions for the tourney Round 1: Youngstown St vs Detroit -- Detroit Wright St vs UIC -- Wright St

You do realize that UIC just pounded a fully stocked WSU team at the Pavillion just this past Saturday, 61-46?

What makes you think WSU can beat UIC in Chicago just a few days later? Oh, the dreaded it's-too-hard-to-beat-a-team-twice-in-four-days logic?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

classof2014

Quote from: historyman on March 02, 2015, 11:34:42 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on March 02, 2015, 08:30:58 AMSo here is my predictions for the tourney Round 1: Youngstown St vs Detroit -- Detroit Wright St vs UIC -- Wright St

You do realize that UIC just pounded a fully stocked WSU team at the Pavillion just this past Saturday, 61-46?

What makes you think WSU can beat UIC in Chicago just a few days later? Oh, the dreaded it's-too-hard-to-beat-a-team-twice-in-four-days logic?

No... I think Wright St will win because they've proven to me that they can win in the tourney. No matter who wins they won't get any further than the next round. Both teams stink.

sliman

I'm not good with predictions, but I'll join the fun (--of the Year listed last):

Defense:  Sykes, Fouse, Grady, Fouse, Fernandez, Williams
Frosh:  Daniels, Hayes, Benzinger, Walker, Bass
2nd Team:  McWhorter, Mays, Tiby, Howard, Lewis
1st Team: Petros (barely nudging out Lewis), Grady, Felder, Peters, Sykes
CoY: Drew

Tournament:
Openers: Detroit and UIC
Quarters: Detroit, Oakland
Semis: Valpo, Green Bay
Title: Green Bay - Sykes is out to prove in front of our fans that he's PoY worthy

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2015, 11:22:28 AMI think greenbay has the easiest road to the finals.
The team that I would least like to play in the championship (if we make it ) would far and away be Oakland. Forget what happened saturday at GB Kampe will be ready for the rematch. I will be in my seat early and I suggest you do the same. Could be a classic.

classof2014

Quote from: justducky on March 02, 2015, 11:58:28 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2015, 11:22:28 AMI think greenbay has the easiest road to the finals.
The team that I would least like to play in the championship (if we make it ) would far and away be Oakland. Forget what happened saturday at GB Kampe will be ready for the rematch. I will be in my seat early and I suggest you do the same. Could be a classic.

I agree, I'm not too worried about Green Bay. We matchup well against them, we have EVN and KC that can shut down Sykes and our interior D is outstanding, thus we force a lot of outside shots. GB's 3 point shooting is the worst in the league. Oakland scares me a bit, they matchup well against us, they're a good 3 point shooting team and have multiple offensive threats.

I do think GB should be able to dispatch Oakland, at least that's what I'm hopeful for since there is no way Oakland loses to UIC or WSU.

vu72

Speaking of seats, do season ticket holders keep their seats or are all of them available starting tomorrow?  I'll be coming up for Friday and Saturday.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: classof2014 on March 02, 2015, 11:41:29 AM
Quote from: historyman on March 02, 2015, 11:34:42 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on March 02, 2015, 08:30:58 AMSo here is my predictions for the tourney Round 1: Youngstown St vs Detroit -- Detroit

Wright St vs UIC -- Wright St
You do realize that UIC just pounded a fully stocked WSU team at the Pavillion just this past Saturday, 61-46? What makes you think WSU can beat UIC in Chicago just a few days later? Oh, the dreaded it's-too-hard-to-beat-a-team-twice-in-four-days logic?

No... I think Wright St will win because they've proven to me that they can win in the tourney. No matter who wins they won't get any further than the next round. Both teams stink.

Wright St did well in the HL tourney in the past due to strong defense. The Raiders just haven't been able to establish the tough defense they have in the past.

If you watch the replay of the WSU/UIC game from Saturday I think you'll see that Yoho and Karena have not played together enough to establish that tough defense and it won't get fixed by Tuesday.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on March 02, 2015, 02:02:18 AMMy ballot was very similar to Paul's. I flipped Lewis for Petros on the first team and McWhorter for Harris on the second team. I really think McWhorter is one of the most under appreciated players in the league. Had the same all-freshman team, although I voted Tevonn FOY. I voted Bryce COY. On a side note, I'd have no problem with any of the top four winning POY, but feel Sykes is the least deserving. Playing the same position and nearly the same role, Felder had clearly a better conference season. In fact, Felder's numbers of 19 points and 8 assists per game are as good as any point guard in the country.
One other item, not that Bryce would take it, but DePaul just needs the right coach to be an elite program again. They're building a beautiful state of the art arena right on the Lakefront, they're in the Big East, and they're in the best high school basketball town in the nation.
what i read of chef's post

Quote from: chef on March 02, 2015, 02:02:18 AMnot that Bryce would take it
all i'll remember
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on March 02, 2015, 12:05:26 PM
Speaking of seats, do season ticket holders keep their seats or are all of them available starting tomorrow?  I'll be coming up for Friday and Saturday.

Season ticket holders have first dibs on their seats.  Ticket holders who are displaced by the media tables get priority in choosing available seats.
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

2015 HL Awards
Player of the Year: Keifer Sykes, Green Bay (Sr., G)
Defensive Player of the Year: Vashil Fernandez, Valparaiso (Sr., C)
Freshman of the Year: Paris Bass, Detroit (G/F)
Sixth Player of the Year: Jubril Adekoya, Valparaiso (So., F)
Coach of the Year: Bryce Drew, Valparaiso

All-League First Team
Keifer Sykes, Green Bay (Sr., G)
Kahlil Felder, Oakland (So., G)
Alec Peters, Valparaiso (So., F)
Anton Grady, Cleveland State (Jr., F)
Trey Lewis, Cleveland State (Jr., G)

All-League Second Team
Juwan Howard, Jr., Detroit (Sr., F)
Corey Petros, Oakland (Sr., C)
Greg Mays, Green Bay (Sr., F)
Matt Tiby, Milwaukee (Jr., F)
Steve McWhorter, Milwaukee (Sr., G)

All-Freshman Team
Paris Bass, Detroit (G/F)
Tevonn Walker, Valparaiso (G)
Jalen Hayes, Oakland (F)
Grant Benzinger, Wright State (G)
Nick Daniels, Oakland (G)

All-Defensive Team
Vashil Fernandez, Valparaiso (Sr., C)
Jordan Fouse, Green Bay (Jr., F)
Dante Williams, Oakland (Sr., F)
Anton Grady, Cleveland State (Jr., F)
Charlie Lee, Cleveland State (Sr., G)

valpo4life

Quote from: valpo4life on March 01, 2015, 11:12:21 AM
For the record this is what I think will might see, not what I actually may want to see.

1st Team:

Sykes (POY)
Felder
Peters
Lewis
Grady

2nd Team:
Howard
Petros
Tiby
Mays
McWhorter

Freshmen:
Bass (FOY)
Tevonn
Hayes
Benzinger
Daniels

Defensive:
Vashil (DOY)
Williams
Fouse
McWhorter
Mays

Coach:
Bryce

I had a really tough time deciding between Grady and Howard for the last 1st team spot. But Grady being the leading rebounder in conference play gave him the edge. Would really like to see Tevonn get on the defensive team because he is an excellent defender but I'm not sure if he'll get that recognition or not. Another tough choice was the fifth freshman spot. I went Daniels because he was one of the top 3 point shooters in the league. That stands out more than anything Skara or Hogan have on their "resume".

Nailed it! Minus two defensive first teamers, which I had no clue on after the first three really. Grady probably deserves to be there after, never really thought of Lee as a defensive stopper though. I certainly think Tevonn is a better defender than him, just my homer opinion though.

valpo4life

Also one thing talksalot left out. Jubril was named Sixth Man of the Year! I love it. We're hard on him most of the year but he gets this honor and more than likely a big confidence boost going into the tournament.

talksalot

Quote from: valpo4life on March 02, 2015, 02:18:24 PMAlso one thing talksalot left out. Jubril was named Sixth Man of the Year!

I just posted the full link... it's on there....   

the 3-minute video of the announcement is on the horizonleague.com site.

Interesting that the only the Coaches voted for the Defensive and 6th player awards...

valpo4life

Ah. I skipped right over that post when I saw the next one where you listed everything out. My mistake.

covufan

Congrats to Vashil, Alec, Tevonn, Jubril and Bryce!  They deserve the recognition!

a3uge

Assuming this is the same obnoxious and delusional guy that trolls here...

[tweet]572494000629923841[/tweet]

[tweet]572493379449327616[/tweet]

[tweet]572511929580826624[/tweet]

[tweet]572504448972414976[/tweet]

Wow.

I'd like to see some "great" numbers that put Dante Williams ahead of Vashil's "good" numbers. His 115 defensive rating? His 3.1 rebounds per 40 for a forward? No, let's instead rely on anecdotes and feel-good stats like he shut down player x and y. This guy just set Moneyball back 50 years.

talksalot

and these are voted on by the COACHES only !!... and Kampe is prohibited from voting for his own guy(s)...