• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-15 HL Tournament Thread

Started by wh, March 03, 2015, 05:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 05, 2015, 03:39:36 PM(and posting on this forum does not count)

It might for pgmado!

But, wh, no hard feelings, certainly.  You lobbed one our way and, even while obviously at least partly in humor, I figured I'd lob it back.

agibson

Quote from: Smj on March 05, 2015, 09:44:25 PM
I need a travel suggestion...   Looking to meet someone in valpo for lunch before the game and we are looking for a decent meal and a pool table...   (Not too far from campus.)   I don't want to take over the thread so feel free to email me.
Shanesmj@yahoo.com

It is a bit of a shame noone put together a travel guide.  I briefly considered it... It's a little late now, but perhaps could be crowd sourced.  And, at least for one pool table, I don't think there's a risk of thread-takeover.  Just thread enrichment ;)

I went looking for darts one night in Valpo, and didn't have much luck. Pool must be easier, but none of my usual places have it.

Maybe Franklin House and Pepe's used to have pool, not sure if they still do.  Maybe Northside tap?  I can't (or, for Pepe's, wouldn't particularly) vouch for any of those places, but they're what comes to mind...

The Union at the university does still have pool tables, not sure how they'd feel about an alum popping in - might be OK.  You can do better for food, but it has improved over the years (prefer the main cafeteria to the cafe by the pool tables), and might have some renovated-nostalgia value.

Maybe the Tomato Bar has pool tables?

hailcrusaders

What do people think of this "Seize the League" hash tag created by the HL? I can't recall anything like it in years past. Marketing ploy?

The ARC looks outstanding. Anyone else going to tonight's games as well?
#CrusadersForever

frontrowfan

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 06, 2015, 02:30:23 PM
What do people think of this "Seize the League" hash tag created by the HL? I can't recall anything like it in years past. Marketing ploy?

I'll be there as soon as the doors open at 5 and plan to watch every second of every game.

a3uge

Looks like they got rid of that ridiculous 1 mile long front row media table. First row still seems to be blocked off.

If its good enough for the regular season, why isn't it good enough for the tournament? Who knows. Hopefully the empty 1st row doesn't look too ridiculous on TV.

VULB#62

Nice pics. 

Silly question that I should have asked 6 years ago:  Why don't they have retractable chair backs on the other side as well?  Even that little change would significantly alter the HS Gym image people seem to throw at the ARC. And then, when they renovate and move the concession stand off the floor, adding a full set of retractable bleachers corresponding to the other end would also create more of bowl feel.

wh

Quote from: frontrowfan on March 06, 2015, 02:37:51 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 06, 2015, 02:30:23 PM

I'll be there as soon as the doors open at 5 and plan to watch every second of every game.

Same here.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 06, 2015, 03:32:23 PM
Nice pics. 

Silly question that I should have asked 6 years ago:  Why don't they have retractable chair backs on the other side as well?  Even that little change would significantly alter the HS Gym image people seem to throw at the ARC. And then, when they renovate and move the concession stand off the floor, adding a full set of retractable bleachers corresponding to the other end would also create more of bowl feel.

It probably has to do with the ability to contract and expand the bleacher area - there's a lot more seats on the bench side, so it may be impossible to find expandable seats for that large of an area. The main problem is the ARC's multi-use status. They want to be able to fold and tuck away everything like its a European studio flat, and then conveniently expand on game day.

Also, it's a bad idea to use expandable seats. If they are going to replace the seating, they might as well install actual stadium seats.

The master plan calls for a concessions area on the north side of the arena, the entrance closest to the student section. This will allow proper bleachers on the other end. Unfortunately, these renovations won't happen until the new field house is built long down the road, and no permanent seating will be installed until then either.

wh

Can't be more than 250 people here 5 min before tipoff. Tevonn sitting incognito with a bud in the Valpo student section.

hailcrusaders

I'm at the games tonight and I noticed something. The bands and (nonexistent) student sections are at the opposite ends of the court as their team's benches. The OU band is in the Valparaizone area, while the players sit on the EAST bench, closest to the main entrance. Does this mean that tomorrow, our students can sit in the Valparaizone (as usual) even if the team is on the east bench?
#CrusadersForever

hailcrusaders

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2015, 06:00:59 PM
Can't be more than 250 people here 5 min before tipoff. Tevonn sitting incognito with a bud in the Valpo student section.

Should be noted that tevonn is with a friend, not a small amount of marijuana.
#CrusadersForever

Valpofan00

ValpoHoops

Oakland built a 26-11 lead at the 7:00 mark, then went ice cold (I think these teams feel there is some penalty for attempting a two-point shot).

Game is much closer than it should be at the half. Oakland leads 30-25. Felder has two fouls officially, but there is some question as to whether it should be 3.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 06, 2015, 06:39:25 PMShould be noted that tevonn is with a friend, not a small amount of marijuana.
I was going to jump on that, but then I've already been picking on wh for his pot references this week.  thanks for picking up the slack.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

agibson

Just tuning in...

Two technicals, before I turned the game on.

UIC up 1 when I turned it on with 4 to play.

A four point play up 5 with 45 seconds to play.

Then an intentional foul?!  Away from the ball?  When do they call that?  And only converting one of those?  (I guess it's not like a technical?  You don't get to choose who takes it - so maybe he wasn't a great FT shooter.)

Crazy, crazy stuff.

Not sure why UIC called a timeout there.  Why not just let Harris go to the line?

UIC came back from 13 down?  15 down?  Crazy, crazy stuff.

agibson

And then not-Jay Harris goes to the line?  What sense is that?

Was Harris worried they had him trapped, was worried about a five count?  Odd.

agibson

Harris to the line... better.  Why couldn't it have been a 7 point game instead of a 1 point game?  I definitely don't trust UIC here...

(Not that I really want Oakland eliminated, necessarily.  But, who doesn't love an upset?  So long as it's not your team!)

Heck, presumably we _prefer_ GB to have to play Oakland...

agibson

Well, at least UIC didn't foul Felder sinking that pull-up three.

agibson

1.7 seconds? 

_Can_ Jay Harris miss?

Nobody ever plays the miss anyway, do they?

agibson

Too much risk you'd commit a foul delaying the rebound?

agibson

First win _ever_ by UIC over Oakland?  Crazy.

And the 2 seeds the one that always loses, right?

classof2014

Wow... two words...

MARCH MADNESS

gamelord

That has to be the longest final minute in college basketball history. It must've been like 20 minutes or so.