• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

valpotx, it was the game at the United Center. If recall, it was the weekend students returned to campus from Thanksgiving break. I know met a friend to ride to Chicago to be in the pep band for this game. It was fun being courtside for this game, and that missed 3 by Greg left a bruise for a few days, but the team got things back together for a good conference run, and postseason play.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on January 29, 2015, 08:39:48 AM
Quote from: valpotx on January 29, 2015, 01:47:15 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 27, 2015, 07:42:22 PM
Quote from: sliman on January 27, 2015, 05:21:01 PMWonder if Greg had visions of his shot against Notre Dame?
oh man...thanks for bringing back THAT memory. Who else here was there?  Everybody?  Good.
Is this when we lost a close one at the United Center?
Yes.  We had the last possession down two and set up Greg for a three to win.It was during Scott's only year as head coach.  Greg missed.  Yes, I was there... :(

I was also present.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo84

Was at the ND game as well. Ugh.

For Tonagel's IWU team, 2 of the three players listed are from the Akron region. He's recruiting well here, maybe Tressel should hire him....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Ditto, including my wife, my 3 married children and their spouses, and my nephew and his wife. Most memorable part of the day - paying the bill for dinner and drinks after at Greek Islands. Of course, this was after supplying all the tickets.  Ol' Dad was an easy touch in those days. ;) 

StlVUFan

Yep, I was there too.  Overwhelming majority was Crusaders fans.  That was the game that ND didn't help promote, so they didn't share in the profits.

valpo84

Another former VU spieler doing fantastisch in Deutschland coaching. Warning article is in German but assume most read enough to understand....   :)

http://courtreview.de/2015/01/gothas-erfolg-hat-einen-namen-chris-ensminger/
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on January 30, 2015, 07:56:26 AMHere is the translation:
i admit, i fell for that one, even though the weblinks were identical.

EDIT:  here you go.

VON FANS, FÜR FANS
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://courtreview.de/2015/01/gothas-erfolg-hat-einen-namen-chris-ensminger/&prev=search
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

der GREATERST HITTEN den GOÖGLE TRANSLATEN

Quotethe 2,08m wide center
like MJ, not exactly at his playing weight any more

QuoteAfter the treaty of the American in Bamberg in 2008 was not renewed
insert quote about foreign policy under obama

QuoteThe angular Big Man was entitled during his time in the BBL often also called "Bad Guy", for his determination and full of ambition has always been the primary distinctive properties.
no witty comment necessary

QuoteAccordingly, his playing style was considered sometimes very rustic, which not only brought him to the friends for many years
they've been asking Grizz for his thoughts? also, did he become a Quaker because of it?

QuoteA Ensminger just does not leave anything to chance, his work is always calculated and planned from the start, he began accustomed determined, always well prepared and always professionally carry out his work and with the support of BiG and his contacts to build a squad that quality piece increased by one.
anyone else feel like they're putting together a sound system by reading the instructions?

QuoteChris Ensminger: In first and foremost we need a new hall.
facilities discussions never end at vu, they just start there
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on January 29, 2015, 08:48:25 PM
Another former VU spieler doing fantastisch in Deutschland coaching. Warning article is in German but assume most read enough to understand....   :)

http://courtreview.de/2015/01/gothas-erfolg-hat-einen-namen-chris-ensminger/
I wonder if he could make it to the NBA someday as an assistant coach?

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: historyman on January 30, 2015, 08:01:06 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 30, 2015, 07:56:26 AMHere is the translation: http://courtreview.de/2015/01/gothas-erfolg-hat-einen-namen-chris-ensminger/
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 30, 2015, 02:13:33 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 30, 2015, 07:56:26 AMHere is the translation:

i admit, i fell for that one, even though the weblinks were identical.

EDIT:  here you go.
VON FANS, FÜR FANS

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://courtreview.de/2015/01/gothas-erfolg-hat-einen-namen-chris-ensminger/&prev=search
Well, vu72 never said it was an English translation. He just said it was a translation.  ;)

Well, I am a good German Lutheran, through and through!  Unfortunately, that's as far as the German goes!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

swiftmutiny

Wonderful article about Rowdy and his soaring success in Turkey (koala even gets a mention!): Ryan Broekhoff: On being a Boomer, Turkish All-Star, and what lies beyond

So happy to see him doing well overseas! I hope he gets the opportunity to make it in the NBA some day.

Smj

I know - I am a basketball dork but this was fun to watch.   I just sort of stumbled onto the link while watching some Valpo Athletics' links...   (number 25 has a great game)

1993 Boys Basketball Valparaiso vs Merrillville:
http://youtu.be/xR0XcumBci0

humbleopinion

BTW Jim Stueve was in attendance at the Wright State game.  I wouldn't have recognized him without his name tag.  As far as I know, there were no fights.
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that Ryan Broekhoff was back on this side of the Pacific and nearby, as he was invited to the Toronto Raptors mini-camp for NBA free agents this past week. Rowdy finished his pro season this year in Turkey with an average of 11.5 pts. & 6.2 rebs. per game, and he shot 41.6% from the 3-point line. I hope he gets a look from a few NBA teams, especially with a fellow Aussie making news in the NBA finals.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on June 14, 2015, 04:32:14 PMespecially with a fellow Aussie making news in the NBA finals.

Do you really think that Dellavedova's sudden notoriety due to the NBA finals is gaining Broekhoff some momentum for an NBA trial with the Raptors?

Raptors: If it's working for the Cavs to get a player from down under maybe we should try it. Bring in some Aussie players! I see there is a Broekhoff who played at Valpo and has done well in Turkey. Let's bring him in. There's something nice about getting a Boomer on our team.

valpotx

Rowdy can be a 10-15 minute per game guy in the NBA.  He has that kind of talent and specialty in regards to 3 pt shooting, that many teams covet.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on June 14, 2015, 10:58:01 PM
Quote from: valpopal on June 14, 2015, 04:32:14 PMespecially with a fellow Aussie making news in the NBA finals.

Do you really think that Dellavedova's sudden notoriety due to the NBA finals is gaining Broekhoff some momentum for an NBA trial with the Raptors?

Raptors: If it's working for the Cavs to get a player from down under maybe we should try it. Bring in some Aussie players! I see there is a Broekhoff who played at Valpo and has done well in Turkey. Let's bring him in. There's something nice about getting a Boomer on our team.

I was joking. I guess I should have added a  ;)

wh

[tweet]613376782725722114[/tweet]

valpotx

Always good to see that former players keep Valpo close to their heart.  Ali Berdiel still mentions Valpo fairly often every college basketball season, based on the updates I get from Facebook.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Kevin VanWijk, what can you say... a player who absolutely made the most out of the physical gifts he was given. I haven't seen anyone any better at using his body and getting into perfect post position, he should make a training video.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Great News: Ryan Broekhoff is playing summer league with the Nuggets.

http://pickandroll.com.au/aussies-nba-broekhoff-nuggets-vegas-summer-league/

Other Horizon League alumns in summer league so far:
Nick Minnerath aka Macklemore: Bucks
Keifer Sykes: Cavaliers

talksalot

All of the Vegas Games are on the NBA Channel...I have no idea how they seed teams after only 3 games... but here's the schedule for Denver

NBA Summer League 2015 Game Schedule
> All Times listed are CENTRAL
Friday, July 10
Cox Pavilion
7 p.m. PT -- Atlanta vs. Denver (Game 3)

Sunday, July 12
Cox Pavilion
7 p.m. PT -- Sacramento vs. Denver (Game 19)

Monday, July 13
Cox Pavilion
7 p.m. PT -- Miami vs. Denver (Game 27)

Wednesday, July 15
Cox Pavilion
3 p.m. PT -- #24 Seed vs. #9 Seed (Game 37)
5 p.m. PT -- #22 Seed vs. #11 Seed (Game 39)
7 p.m. PT -- #20 Seed vs. #13 Seed (Game 41)
9 p.m. PT -- #18 Seed vs. #15 Seed (Game 43)
Thomas & Mack
3:30 p.m. PT -- #23 Seed vs. #10 Seed (Game 38)
5:30 p.m. PT -- #21 Seed vs. #12 Seed (Game 40)
7:30 p.m. PT -- #19 Seed vs. #14 Seed (Game 42)
9:30 p.m. PT -- #17 Seed vs. #16 Seed (Game 44)
Thursday, July 16
Cox Pavilion
3 p.m. PT -- Winner of Game 37 vs. #8 Seed (Game 45)
5 p.m. PT -- Winner of Game 39 vs. #6 Seed (Game 47)
7 p.m. PT -- Winner of Game 41 vs. #4 Seed (Game 49)
9 p.m. PT -- Winner of Game 43 vs. #2 Seed (Game 51)
Thomas & Mack
3:30 p.m. PT -- Winner of Game 38 vs. #7 Seed (Game 46)
5:30 p.m. PT -- Winner of Game 40 vs. #5 Seed (Game 48)
7:30 p.m. PT -- Winner of Game 42 vs. #3 Seed (Game 50)
9:30 p.m. PT -- Winner of Game 44 vs. #1 Seed (Game 52)
Friday, July 17
Cox Pavilion
3 p.m. PT -- Game 37 Loser vs. Game 38 Loser (Game 53)
5 p.m. PT -- Game 41 Loser vs. Game 42 Loser (Game 55)
7 p.m. PT -- Game 45 Loser vs. Game 46 Loser (Game 57)
9 p.m. PT -- Game 49 Loser vs. Game 50 Loser (Game 59)
Thomas & Mack
3:30 p.m. PT -- Game 39 Loser vs. Game 40 Loser (Game 54)
5:30 p.m. PT -- Game 43 Loser vs. Game 44 Loser (Game 56)
7:30 p.m. PT-- Game 47 Loser vs. Game 48 Loser (Game 58)
9:30 p.m. PT -- Game 51 Loser vs. Game 52 Loser (Game 60)
Saturday, July 18
Thomas & Mack
3 p.m. PT -- Game 46 Winner vs. Game 51 Winner (Game 61)
5 p.m. PT -- Game 47 Winner vs. Game 50 Winner (Game 62)
7 p.m. PT -- Game 45 Winner vs. Game 52 Winner (Game 63)
9 p.m. PT -- Game 48 Winner vs. Game 49 Winner (Game 64)
Sunday, July 19
Thomas & Mack
5 p.m. PT -- Game 61 Winner vs. Game 62 Winner (Game 65)
7 p.m. PT -- Game 63 Winner vs. Game 64 Winner (Game 66)
Monday, July 20
Thomas & Mack
8 p.m. PT -- Game 65 Winner vs. Game 66 Winner (Game 67)