• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Davidson Commits to VU

Started by valpopal, July 05, 2011, 06:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Bryce seems to be thinking pretty far ahead in his recruiting. He has received a verbal commitment for 2013 from Nick Davidson. I like Bryce's aggressiveness. Let's hope Davidson doesn't change his mind in the future.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/article_3402cd84-c8cb-5537-afaf-db5f9c20bff0.html

vuweathernerd

december 2012 is a long time to wait. my fingers are crossed, but i'll hold off on popping the champagne until he's inked and its all official. here's to hoping that he can really help the program, after a lot of our current guards have graduated and moved on.

anybody seen him play yet? how's his defense?

sectionee

I saw the kid play in middle school with Munster AAU when I was running leagues and tournaments.  He was always the biggest and most skilled kid on the court.  I'm sure he understands the game real well.  Should be a nice pick up.

hoopfan22

I went to a couple of Andrean games this season. Smart player, not fleet of foot but can work on that. Good shooter, high IQ. He'll be a great fit.

Crusader03

Anyone know what other schools were after him?

valpopal

Quote from: Crusader03 on July 05, 2011, 09:26:04 PM

The Times article only specifically mentions Butler and Indiana ("picking the Crusaders over two-time national runner-up Butler and interest from Indiana University") as well as noting elsewhere that there were "multiple scholarship offers."

rlh

I've seen him once...has talent which will hopefully only get better with experience.  Could be a good get for VU

vu72

Sounds like his reputation will only get better.  A top 20 player in a loaded class.  Here's the Post-trib story:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/6363486-419/59ers-davidson-picks-valparaiso.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

Quote from: valpopal on July 05, 2011, 09:50:02 PM

The Times article only specifically mentions Butler and Indiana ("picking the Crusaders over two-time national runner-up Butler and interest from Indiana University") as well as noting elsewhere that there were "multiple scholarship offers."

This latest article says that neither Butler or IU offered, but that he had an offer from Western Michigan.  It doesn't really matter either way, but it is interesting to see what types of other schools thought highly of Nick.  I am pumped for us to grab a solid, local player!

sectionee

Quote from: Crusader03 on July 06, 2011, 10:12:19 AM
Quote from: valpopal on July 05, 2011, 09:50:02 PM

This latest article says that neither Butler or IU offered, but that he had an offer from Western Michigan.  It doesn't really matter either way, but it is interesting to see what types of other schools thought highly of Nick.  I am pumped for us to grab a solid, local player!
I bet the ticket office is too, right marketingguy

lowposter

Solid player.  Seen him probably 20 times over the past 5 years, from 6th grade on.  As previously mentioned, he was always the tallest kid out there, but he transferred to a guard and did it quite well.  Good solid player with high basketball IQ. 

A very good pickup for Bryce.  We need to tap into NWIndiana.

lowposter

talksalot

Thought it would be fun to resurrect this posting string from 2011.   When Nick Davidson committed to Valpo.  "Smart Player" !

valpospartan

After riding the bench for three years, I wonder if Nick ever though this would happen to him, as it did at the end of the Indiana State game: being taken out of the game, so a bench rider could get some playing time. 
That had to feel mighty good.

VULB#62

Until he settles into a more consistent role and his confidence grows, Nick is going have some good and some bad nights.  Hopefully the coaches will stay by him and let him improve  and, we on the forum, cut him a bit of slack.

a3uge

Quote from: ValpoFan1000 on December 19, 2016, 01:34:17 PM
I guess I will have to be the guy who isn't very pc and decide to be critical of nick. It's a shame he didn't transfer (I'm sure he's a nice glue guy) but let's be honest he should not be playing basketball at VU. Think of who we could have in his place, another tevonn, jubril, Shane? Someone of that caliber! If you didn't know nick was actually told to transfer by Bryce and when Alec heard he threatened to transfer and nick stayed. Shame
If that's true, that says a lot more about Bryce Drew than it does Nick Davidson.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on December 19, 2016, 02:18:42 PM
Quote from: ValpoFan1000 on December 19, 2016, 01:34:17 PM
I guess I will have to be the guy who isn't very pc and decide to be critical of nick. It's a shame he didn't transfer (I'm sure he's a nice glue guy) but let's be honest he should not be playing basketball at VU. Think of who we could have in his place, another tevonn, jubril, Shane? Someone of that caliber! If you didn't know nick was actually told to transfer by Bryce and when Alec heard he threatened to transfer and nick stayed. Shame
If that's true, that says a lot more about Bryce Drew than it does Nick Davidson.
Couldn't be better said. Talent is only part of the equation and too much talent can sometimes lead to mathematical failure. So 2+2+3+4+5 does not always (in basketball) equal 16. Depending on the coach and players the correct answer could be anywhere from 10 to 20. Case in point could be Oakland without Kay Felder. Sometimes less is more and this discussion has already taken place on their board.

bbtds

I noticed Alec had a huge grin on his face after Nick scored his back door lay-up against Indiana State on Saturday.

valpotx

If that story is true about Bryce asking Nick to transfer, I agree that is more on Bryce, than anything with Nick.  I like Nick's playing style, as he is a control guy.  We would not have filled his spot with another main contributor, as no one would come to Valpo to compete for the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench, which is what they would have been with our recent/current players.  We already have an out-of-control Shane Hammink at times, so Nick is a guy that can come in and play ball control whenever needed.
"Don't mess with Texas"