• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2017

Started by covufan, May 11, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

There's the offer to Sasha. He's going to get some bigger looks next season, hopefully he will want to stay close!

classof2014

Quote from: M on April 30, 2016, 05:46:53 PM
There's the offer to Sasha. He's going to get some bigger looks next season, hopefully he will want to stay close!

Pretty smart kid as well; he's received offers from Yale, Penn, and Columbia along with good basketball schools like Northern Iowa and Xavier. Hopefully he'll want to stay close to home.

vufan75

Per Joe Henricksen @joehoopsreport.......
Class of 2017 guards on visits: North Lawndale's Carlos Hines visiting Valpo today, while West Chicago's Tai Bibbs visiting Ball State.

valpo64

Does someone have a report on Carlos Hines?

vufan75

Hope this video helps a bit. Also read on verbal commits Carlos Hines was MVP of recent DePaul team camp.
https://youtu.be/jQJS_QXyBYA

VU2014

Henricksen: Watch these five ultra-sleepers rise

Joe Henricksen
For Sun-Times Media | @joehoopsreport
June 6 12:42 p.m.

The names Cameron Bowles, Justin Brown, Courtese Cooper, Carlos Hines and Kawanise Wilkins may not resonate with the high school basketball fan.

Those five names don't inspire the same amount of interest among talent evaluators and the media as the likes of a Jordan Goodwin, the state's top player from Belleville Althoff, or Stevenson's Justin Smith and Evanston's Nojel Eastern.

They aren't on the tip of the tongue of Big Ten coaches or even very many college coaches, period.

When it comes to their respective recruitments, forget the infancy stage. These prospects have played out their junior year, as well as the string of events on the AAU circuit this past spring, yet we're still in the prenatal stage.

There are sleepers. And then there are ultra-sleepers. Here are five who have climbed and sit plenty high on the City/Suburban Hoops Report player rankings in the Class of 2017 but certainly fit into the latter category:

■ Cameron Bowles, Homewood-Flossmoor

With a strong finish to his junior season –– the versatile and skilled 6-6 wing averaged nearly 10 points and 8 rebounds over his final 10 games –– Bowles has the look of a late blooming prospect. He has the type of fluid tools and size you look for in a prototype wing prospect. Now it's a matter of doing it on a consistent basis.

"He came back with a chip on his shoulder and expects more of himself," says Homewood-Flossmoor coach Marc Condotti. "He's figuring out how good he can be."

■ Justin Brown, Marist

This unknown 6-8 post player is long, agile and full of potential. Brown was off to a strong start this past season before an ankle injury sidelined him for six weeks in the middle of the season.

With some advanced footwork and improving feel with his back to the basket, Brown is now one of the more intriguing under-the-radar prospects in the Class of 2017.

"He's come so far and improved so much over the past year," says Marist coach Gene Nolan.

■ Courtese Cooper, Elgin

A player few are aware of outside the Upstate Eight Conference. But the 6-8 Cooper was a menace defensively this past year with his nearly 7-foot wingspan, blocking 154 shots, while averaging 8.9 points and 10.5 rebounds a game.

With an ability to knock down 12-16 foot face-up jumpers and range that extends to the three-point line to go with his size and length, Cooper is poised for a breakout senior season.

Carlos Hines, North Lawndale

Likely the most recognizable name in the group as a result of his scoring numbers this past season and being the most highly regarded at an early age. Hines, though, looks like a prime breakout candidate.

This is a 6-2 guard who plays with a motor and is blessed with range on his jumper and natural scoring ability. After providing some offensive punch off the ball as a junior (14.4 ppg), Hines makes the move to point guard this year and into a starring role for coach Lewis Thorpe.

In addition, Hines is rock solid in the classroom and a National Honor Society member. He is currently ranked among the top 10 in his class academically.

■ Kawanise Wilkins, Farragut

Wilkins is arguably the best kept secret in the Public League. He has size on the perimeter at 6-4 and is a talented offensive player. As a junior he put up 17 points a game while playing in relative obscurity.

"We are looking for him to be assertive, to get more aggressive, " says Farragut coach Wolf Nelson. "That's the next step. He's going to have that green light. He has to be the guy people need to worry about when playing us."

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2016/06/06/henricksen-watch-five-ultra-sleepers-rise/

valpopal

FWIW: Word is that Valpo has offered Parker Hazen, a four-star forward.

M

Ball St and IUPUI are his only listed offers so far on Verbal Commits...I'd think Valpo is above both of those.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on June 27, 2016, 08:52:58 PM
FWIW: Word is that Valpo has offered Parker Hazen, a four-star forward.
Verbal Commits has been updated. I'm sure Arkansas will get in the mix at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

It's fun to watch the recruiting videos listed on Verbal Commits specific to our current players.  You can easily see the maturation of Alec Peters in looking at his highlights in HS, versus what he is able to do now.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

Per a tweet today from Roy Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bullseye...

"Per @teamyandr 6'7 2017 WF Charles Payton of Stanford-Olympia HS will take an unofficial visit to Valparaiso tomorrow."

vufan75

Verbal Commits shows Payton has offers from UIC and Southern Illinois. Rated in top 10 players in 2017 from Illinois.

valpotx

I have to think that we are in a good position to find another kid like Alec, who wants to play right away and is being told by larger schools that he will need to develop over 1-2 seasons before earning significant playing time.  It worked when Alec was told that he would replace Rowdy, now let's get another top player to replace Alec!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Like to hear this kind of update...I really like the Hazen kid

oklahomamick

Quote from: vufan75 on June 28, 2016, 10:14:34 PMte (selected) Verbal Commits shows Payton has offers from UIC and Southern Illinois. Rated in top 10 players in 2017 from Illinois. Report to moderat

I'm sure UIC will get him.  Whatever car they are offering is probably better than ours.
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

valpo64

The Bell kid is impressive...could he be our next A P?

VU2014

Not sure. Seems to be athletic, but that literally all I can tell from his youtube highlights. He took a few jumpshots and I wasn't a fan of the look of his jumpshot.

I think the real prize of the recent visits is Charles Payton. That kid looks like he could develop into a really good college player. I trust the coaching staff to identify the talent. Hopefully they can give the sales pitch that next years class will be able to step right in and get heavy playing time and become an impact on the floor.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on June 30, 2016, 03:12:31 PM
Not sure. Seems to be athletic, but that literally all I can tell from his youtube highlights. He took a few jumpshots and I wasn't a fan of the look of his jumpshot.

I think the real prize of the recent visits is Charles Payton. That kid looks like he could develop into a really good college player. I trust the coaching staff to identify the talent. Hopefully they can give the sales pitch that next years class will be able to step right in and get heavy playing time and become an impact on the floor.

You may be right, but Parker Hazen, who is a four star, would be my pick for "real prize"!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofan11

Quote from: vufan75 on April 19, 2016, 07:23:03 PM
Valpo HC Matt Lottich & Buffalo AC Jim Whitesell will be in to see 6'6 2017 WF Nana Akenten tomorrow per @brookhoops.

Nana Akenten is originally from Gary, moved to Merrillville as a youngster, then moved to Valparaiso, where he attended Thomas Jefferson Elementary (where I attended as Nana was in the grade below me) in kindergarten before moving to Bolingbrook. Nana is an athletic 6'6 wing who has several offers already, including Nebraska. Would love to see this kid come back to the 219.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/joehoopsreport/status/751500289824337924

2017 (HS SR)
Position: SF
Height: 6-6
Weight: 195lbs
Hometown: Bolingbrook, IL
High School: Bolingbrook High School
Vertical: 38.3"

"Bolingbrook 2017 small forward Nana Akenten is a high ceiling 6'6" athletic wing. He is the man on his team for the Illinois Celtics/Hoopers on the grassroots circuit. He has displayed that go to scoring ability in a variety of ways."
http://www.prephoops.com/2016/04/recruiting-report-nana-akenten-2017/

Current Offers: Valpo, Nebraska, Buffalo, Toledo, Chicago State, Western Michigan, Northern Colorado, Lewis, UIC, Illinois State, Green Bay, NIU.
http://247sports.com/player/nana-akenten-94112

Nana Akenten, Bolingbrook boys basketball plan to stay at high level
Published: Saturday, July 2, 2016 10:57 p.m. CDT
By TIM TIERNEY - Shaw Media correspondent

MORRIS – Confidence within the Bolingbrook basketball program doesn't waver in the summertime.

"We have shown over the last four or five years that our program is going to be one of the top ones, not only in the area, but in the state,'' Bolingbrook coach Rob Brost said. "I would expect that to continue to be the case.''

Bolingbrook showed some proof of that Wednesday and Thursday at the 31st annual Morris Boys Shootout. The Raiders won their first five games before a 55-48 loss to Loyola in the semifinals of the 32-team event.

"We're getting better, and that's the important thing,'' Brost said. "Coming to tournaments like this helps us get better.

"You never know who has full strength and who doesn't. We don't put a lot of stock in the wins and losses. We just want to get better.''

Brost didn't gloat about the victory over Minooka in the Raiders' second game at Morris. Minooka ended Bolingbrook's season last March in the Indians' Class 4A regional championship game.

"No, it's a summer game,'' Brost said.

Shootout tournaments at Plainfield East and Oswego also were part of the summer preparation the Raiders hope to benefit from when the 2016-17 season begins.

"Learn to play together and learn to be coached by our coaches,'' Bolingbrook standout Nana Akenten said of the summer games. "Just grow as a team before the actual season starts, so when that comes, we won't have to do as much adjusting to each other.''

Akenten, a 6-foot-6 senior, averaged 15 points a game last season. He has several scholarship offers, including one from Nebraska."It's nice to have a Big Ten offer, but I'm not going to be caught up in the big names,'' Akenten said. "It'll be where the best fit is for me.

"I'm still very open. I've got a big month ahead of me.''

For Akenten, the past month was a time for personal growth within the team.

"This summer, I focused more on becoming a better teammate, more of a leader, more on my communication skills,'' he said. "Make sure my teammates are always in the game. I try to get everybody involved, just lift their spirits up. I'm trying to be somebody you like to play with.''

Brost is thrilled Akenten plays for Bolingbrook.

"It all starts with Nana,'' the Raiders' coach said. "He's one of the top players in the state for a reason. His leadership has gotten so much better than it was last year.
"He's an elite player. He's got a Big Ten offer, 15 or so scholarship offers. Any time you have an elite player, a player of that caliber, that's where it all begins.''

Injury would seem to be a concern in the often hectic pace of summer games, but not to Akenten.

"Not at all,'' he said. "It's basketball. Whether I'm playing here or playing in the season, anything can happen.''

Bolingbrook was 16-9 last season even after graduation depleted the 2014-15 squad that rolled to a 25-7 record and finished third in the Class 4A State Tournament. It was the basketball team's first trip downstate.

Brost, who's entering his 10th season as head coach, will be counting on Akenten and 6-7 senior Brandon Lawani to be the new leaders.

"Our seniors this year, Nana and Brandon especially, they played on that team that got third,'' Brost said. "They were contributors to that team, so they know what it takes, what we're going to need to do to get back to that level. We're looking forward to competing at the highest level.''

To reach that level, Bolingbrook also will need strong play from Joseph Yesufu, Tyler Cochran and Kaleb Thornton, a transfer from East Suburban Catholic Conference member Nazareth and the Roadrunners' No. 2 scorer.

"We're still kind of young, but I think we'll be pretty good, especially the new offense that coach has put in,'' Akenten said. "We're playing a lot faster. That will make it harder for the defenders to keep up with us.''
http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/07/01/nana-akenten-bolingbrook-boys-basketball-plan-to-stay-at-high-level/ae8vwbs/?page=1

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6500304/nana-akenten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j1l6-XLW0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z9gAOOiBTM

valpo4life

valpo64

Love the Hazen news but has it been confirmed?

Valpower

Not official, but Hazen has tweeted so and a blog is reporting it (along with Nana Akenton commit).

http://www.todaysu.com/u-news/class-2017-four-star-sf-parker-hazen-commits-valparaiso/

valpo64

Great news, as it looks like M L is getting a very good start in his recruiting efforts. Hazen will hopefully be a great influence in keeping the top Indiana prospects, especially Northern Indiana, to consider Valpo.  Perhaps another A P type? Let's hope so and keep him in the fold.