• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

November prediction poll

Started by wh, November 01, 2016, 09:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict November's record

8-0
0 (0%)
7-1
8 (21.1%)
6-2
16 (42.1%)
5-3
10 (26.3%)
4-4
4 (10.5%)
3-5 or worse
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: November 11, 2016, 08:49:22 PM

wh

November is finally here, and it's time to begin our month-by-month prediction poll. 

Following is November's 8-game schedule, 5 of which are at the ARC:

1 Fri, Nov 11, 2016 Southern Utah   
2 Sat, Nov 12, 2016 Trinity Christian         
3 Mon, Nov 14, 2016 Coppin State   
4 Thu, Nov 17, 2016 @ Oregon   
5 Mon, Nov 21, 2016 Alabama (MGM Grand)
6 Wed, Nov 23, 2016 BYU/St. Louis (MGM Grand)
7 Sun, Nov 27, 2016 Ball State   
8 Tue, Nov 29, 2016 Rhode Island

What will our November record be?

cmack

What can I say? I'm a pessimist. We have a long history of losing to teams with a number in front of their names. Losses to URI and Oregon. Both will be close enough for us to pat ourselves on the back though  :)

vusupporter

I predict we'll play eight games in the month of November.

VUfan

5-3 OU RIU and a trip that kills the RPI  ???

Kyle321n

7-1 with a close loss coming to Oregon.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

covufan

I went with 6-2, losing to Oregon and one in Vegas.  When we beat Alabama, we have a 50/50 chance of beating BYU on a neutral court.  Hoping for 7-1!!

VU2014

1 Fri, Nov 11, 2016 Southern Utah   - W

2 Sat, Nov 12, 2016 Trinity Christian    - W

3 Mon, Nov 14, 2016 Coppin State   - W

4 Thu, Nov 17, 2016 @ Oregon   - L

5 Mon, Nov 21, 2016 Alabama (MGM Grand)   - W

6 Wed, Nov 23, 2016 BYU/St. Louis (MGM Grand) - L

7 Sun, Nov 27, 2016 Ball State   - W (I think we should win but Ball State could surprise us and steal a win on the road)

8 Tue, Nov 29, 2016 Rhode Island - L

I'm thinking 5-3 or maybe 6-2 if we can steal a game and not lose any games to team that we should win against on paper. It's just so tough to peg how this team will perform for in the beginning of the season.

X-Factors:

- Peters is the unquestioned go to scoring threat for our team. Needs to have a good game in the Oregon, Rhode Island, BYU/SLU games for us to win.

-Coaching staff. How fast will the team pick up the Lottich's changes in offense/defensive system.

-Lottich's in game adjustments. It's just unknown.

-Interior post defense. We graduated one of the best defensive big men in college basketball. Can Smits and Sorolla protect the paint at a solid level. Smits is a Red Shirt freshman and Sorolla is a true freshman.

-Can Lexus run the point at a similar level that Keith did? Remember when we didn't have our field general Keith out there last year, the offense struggled and got bogged down. If not then that puts some pressure on the coaching staff to put our extremely talent true freshman Micah in the game. I think Micah is going to be a stud down the road.

bbtds

5-3.

It goes better with 26-8 for the season.

This team's potential will be culminated during the NCAA tournament.

covufan

Quote from: VUfan on November 02, 2016, 07:14:01 AM
I don't get the fascination with RPI - it is just one of many ranking/rating systems that the selection committee uses in selecting/seeding the NCAA Tournament - but certainly not the only one.

Are you saying playing at #4 RPI UO (last years RPI) will kill our RPI?  Or the neutral games against Alabama (#79) and BYU(#67)/St. Louis(#207) will kill our RPI more than home games against Southern Utah (#336) and Coppin St (#327)?

???

VUfan

Re: November prediction poll

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »

Quote (selected)

Quote from: VUfan on November 02, 2016, 07:14:01 AM

I don't get the fascination with RPI - it is just one of many ranking/rating systems that the selection committee uses in selecting/seeding the NCAA Tournament - but certainly not the only one.

Are you saying playing at #4 RPI UO (last years RPI) will kill our RPI?  Or the neutral games against Alabama (#79) and BYU(#67)/St. Louis(#207) will kill our RPI more than home games against Southern Utah (#336) and Coppin St (#327)?

No that losing to any one else other then OU or RIU will negatively effect our RPI. Though we should forget RPI and enjoy the seasons games.    I am looking forward to the new season game by game

wh

FYI for any stragglers. The poll locks tomorrow night.

vu84v2

I said 5-3. Oregon is going to be really tough and I only see Valpo winning one out of three between Rhode Island and the Las Vegas games. (Fully realizing that I am repeating previous comments) I think that the establishment of solid point guard play will be the key and that 6-2 is possible if PG play is solid.

justducky

Somehow I accidentally hit 6-2 when I meant to hit 5-3, so now our Nov poll is just as mistaken and corrupted as the presidential polls ahhh Never Mind.

VULB#62

Well it looks as if those of us who selected 5-3 or 4-4 were exposed as pessimists.  Congratulations to the 16 posters who picked 6-2 and the 8 of you who picked 7-1.  It comes down to the URI game at the ARC.  Here's rooting for you 7-1 guys to pull us forward into December.

I had figured losses to Oregon, one in the LV tourney and URI.  Glad we got past Ball State yesterday - whew!  So it comes down to hoping I'm wrong on URI.

vu72

As some have said previously, we tend to play to the level of the opponent.  As in playing down to Ball State.  We beat Alabama by 8, they beat Ball State by 18 and we beat them by 6??  I'm expecting us to play "up" to Rhode Island and beat them in a tough one, 67-64.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

I pegged us for a 5-3 first 8 games. Pleasantly surprised to say the least. Lexus has really stepped up at the PG. Jubril has been great for us, playing big minutes. Jubril has just consistently improved every year. His 3 point shot has improved this year. Alec can impact a game even when his 3point shot is off. The team looks good. The ball movement and flow is much improved from the first 3 games of the season. The Bigs are still a work in progress but they are young and will get more comfortable with experience. Derrik had a nice game yesterday with 9 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist off the bench.

The Rhode Island game should be a lot of fun to watch. Rhode Islands a great team. We stole one on the road last year and now they're coming to the ARC.

wh

Congrats to the 8 of 38 voters who accurately predicted 7-1. I've never been happier to be proven wrong! :)

valpotx

Yay to my eternal optimism with all things Valpo lol :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on November 28, 2016, 08:27:35 AM
As some have said previously, we tend to play to the level of the opponent.  As in playing down to Ball State.  We beat Alabama by 8, they beat Ball State by 18 and we beat them by 6??  I'm expecting us to play "up" to Rhode Island and beat them in a tough one, 67-64.

Great call 72 -- you had us by 3 in the 60s and that's how it wound up at 65-62.  You just gave each team an additional 2 points in your calculation -- probably slightly (very slightly) underestimating our tough defense  ;D

justducky

This can't be right! We lost an all-star lineup of full and part time starters ( Carter, Nickerson, D. Walker, Skara, Fernandez) and replaced them with 3 untested freshmen and a couple full time bench jockeys in Max and Lexus. And, and, and you are telling me we take this riffraff and go 7-1 in November?

I demand a recount!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on November 30, 2016, 12:35:53 AM
Congrats to the 8 of 38 voters who accurately predicted 7-1. I've never been happier to be proven wrong! :)

Me either.

FWalum

Very much surprised to have gone 7-1 this month.  Would never have thought with the loss of the above mentioned players and the new head coach that we would be riding this high this early.  Now we have to keep it going!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

jloose128

Since I was correct at 7-1 this month, does that mean I can pick 6-0 for December and it'll happen?  ;)

M