• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #7 Ball State @ARC Sunday 11/27/16 1:30pm

Started by talksalot, November 24, 2016, 10:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Let's title this No Let Down.  This game first.

justducky

We are on a roll, have the revenge motive and will be at home so I expect to struggle (freshmen will see expanded minutes) but win.

M

Is this a trap game? Coming off a nice couple wins and right before a top 25 team visits your court?

Valpo by 11, 79-68.

vufan75

My concern as well. Senior leaders need to remind team there are NO easy games.

justducky

Quote from: M on November 24, 2016, 11:55:36 AMIs this a trap game?
Quote from: vufan75 on November 24, 2016, 04:40:43 PMSenior leaders need to remind team there are NO easy games.
I neither expect or necessarily want this to be an easy game.

Playing a short 6 man rotation is highly dangerous so going all out for a quick kill looks like a fools errand which could backfire. Time to take the calculated risk of playing freshmen for expanded minutes, with the understanding that a hole might develop from which we might need to emerge. The groundwork for our season ending goals will require additional foundational preparation. Looks to me like Ball State is an ideal place for this to start and if not now then when?

swiftmutiny

We lost to Ball State by three last year, and I'm sure that will be fresh in the minds of the upperclassmen and coaches.

I'll take Valpo by ten.  :thumbsup:

frontrowfan

Watched Ball State play SUU at the middleweight final Wed afternoon. I think we can handle them. They will be challenged by our defenders

EddieCabot

Quote from: justducky on November 24, 2016, 06:33:34 PM
Quote from: M on November 24, 2016, 11:55:36 AMIs this a trap game?
Quote from: vufan75 on November 24, 2016, 04:40:43 PMSenior leaders need to remind team there are NO easy games.
I neither expect or necessarily want this to be an easy game.

Playing a short 6 man rotation is highly dangerous so going all out for a quick kill looks like a fools errand which could backfire. Time to take the calculated risk of playing freshmen for expanded minutes, with the understanding that a hole might develop from which we might need to emerge. The groundwork for our season ending goals will require additional foundational preparation. Looks to me like Ball State is an ideal place for this to start and if not now then when?

I also hope the freshmen start playing a bigger role in the rotation.  After hearing so much hype from insiders like pgmado and vu72, I was expecting a little more.  I'll remain patient and trust that Coach Lottich will bring them along at their own pace.

Valpo by 15 over BSU.

VUfan

A challenge to be over come. Time for the younger players to grow. AP has been sick beware!  :-[ VU 77 BSU 72

talksalot

Here are the current season stats for the cards

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2050/ball-state-cardinals

Tayler Perkins (19) and Franko House (16) ppg

and their Roster:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/roster/_/id/2050/ball-state-cardinals

and I'm sure someone will know if Doudou is a relative of Moussa.  Hasn't played much after transferring from South Carolina State.

wh

agibson

Quote from: wh on November 26, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
The spread: Valpo -10

Somehow that makes me less comfortable, not more. We seem to have trouble with frequently played in-state opponents.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 26, 2016, 11:36:28 PM
Quote from: wh on November 26, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
The spread: Valpo -10

Somehow that makes me less comfortable, not more. We seem to have trouble with frequently played in-state opponents.

I'm sure that all the players from last year will remember the sting from last year and how it affected their chances at an NCAA at large bid. If they think like that this game has huge meaning.

covufan

After Bama and BYU, this team is learning about themselves, and what it takes to get better.

Valpo   77
Ball St.  59

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

Ball State will be better than we may think that they are.

Coach Lottich will try to get a deeper player rotation going, but will again have limited success.

Peters and Hammink will step up and extend the lead late.

Valpo 77
Ball State 68

vu84v2

Darn spell check. I corrected it using only my left hand in honor of Shane's fine play.

atkins

How can this team continue to play so poorly at home?  Awful. 

oklahomamick

thankful for Lexus.  A couple three's and several steals. Good thing Ball St. is not in the HL....
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

The other Cardinal I'm afraid might start on a shooting streak and hitting a load of threes is Weber from Roncalli in Indy. We better get Peters going before that starts.

bbtds

Seems Peters gathered the team for an inspirational talk during halftime warm up. Good to see him mentoring the team.

oklahomamick

House is killing us in the paint.  We need a big! 

On a positive note, we can shoot free throws well.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 27, 2016, 02:38:18 PMHouse is killing us in the paint.  We need a big! On a positive note, we can shoot free throws well.

SMITS!
CRUSADERS!!!

VUfan

The team simply out worked a good Ball State team!!  ;D

vu84v2

Workmanlike win. Peters couldn't get his shot going, but (as usual) found a way. I think that he again leads the nation in made free throws. Really nice to see Williams game continue to improve and nice to have a Smits sighting. First time Smits looked like he knew what he was doing and was in position most of the time. Big game for Valpo on Tuesday.