• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #9 - #1 Kentucky Wednesday Dec 7 7pm (CT) Rupp Arena Lexington, KY

Started by talksalot, November 29, 2016, 10:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

While the echoes of the Victory Bell ring in our hearts...and we gather for Christmas Carols and light the Valpo Tree on Thursday... we begin to think... We are the only team with a chance to beat the #1 team in the country on their home court on Wednesday December 7th.

talksalot

Opponent   KY   Opp   Margin
SFAustin   87   64   23
Canisius   93   69   24
Mich State   69   48   21
Duquesne   93   59   34
Clev State   101   70   31
Tenn Martin   111   76   35
Arizo State   115   69   46
UCLA      coming up on Saturday   

agibson

That's pretty scary. So, a loss by 20 would be a significant moral victory? Talk about a game to dent your enthusiasm... Hopefully the guys learn something from it.

And, hey, it'll probably help the RPI. Maybe more than the win against Coppin State, which would be ridiculous.

And, I suppose, you never know. There's a reason they play the games...

a3uge

They haven't played in any close games though, so they'll be unable to handle our late game heroics by Peters.

talksalot

Except for the #19 and currently 7-0 UCLA team, we will be the highest RPI team the "Cats" will have played OOC.

M

I never pick Valpo to lose so I will go with a 67-63 Valpo Victory!

bbtds

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

I think we hang in there, but we are overpowered in the final five minutes.

Valpo   70
Kentucky  81

agibson

Quote from: covufan on November 30, 2016, 09:56:01 AM
I think we hang in there, but we are overpowered in the final five minutes.

Valpo   70
Kentucky  81

I'd love for this to be true, and I haven't seen much of KY. But, it seems like this would take an unprecedented (this season) collapse; or just *everything* clicking on our side.

Here's hoping!

valpotx

They just beat a Bobby Hurley-coached Arizona State team by 46.  Granted, ASU hasn't done anything spectacular this season, but that is still a beat down of another Power 5 program.  This will be an interesting game.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2016, 11:21:52 AM
They just beat a Bobby Hurley-coached Arizona State team by 46.  Granted, ASU hasn't done anything spectacular this season, but that is still a beat down of another Power 5 program.  This will be an interesting game.

That's ok, we just beat Dan Hurley!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

oklahomamick

I hate to admit it, but I think Kentucky beats us at their place.  Next year when Kentucky comes to the ARC, I have a better feeling and think we beat them. :lol:

If they don't want to commute all the way to Valpo, we can meet them half way in Indy at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2016, 11:21:52 AM

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article117790038.html

crusaderjoe

A very very tall order to beat UK.  Someone should pack a football when we go to Lexington and hand it to the SEC officiating crew right before tip.  Maybe they'll get confused and let us play with eleven on the floor.

Actually, forget it.  This would only work in Tuscaloosa.

Valpower

Moral victory chart for Kentucky game:

ResultPermissible claim
Scored the first pointWe started out on fire.
Had any lead change after 3 minutes of play It was back and forth all game.
Had a single-digit deficit after the 1st halfIt was a tale of two halves.
Had a single-digit lead with 10 minutes to go That should get us some votes in the polls.
Lose by 30 pointsWe could totally whoop Arizona State.

agibson

Quote from: Valpower on November 30, 2016, 05:44:21 PMHad a single-digit deficit in the 1st half   It was a tale of two halves.

Is this like, "It always ends with a loss?" "It always starts with a tie!"

valporun

Quote from: agibson on November 30, 2016, 06:12:03 PM
Quote from: Valpower on November 30, 2016, 05:44:21 PMHad a single-digit deficit in the 1st half   It was a tale of two halves.

Is this like, "It always ends with a loss?" "It always starts with a tie!"

Or, (being down 20+ at half), we told the guys in the locker room, we go back out there, it's 0-0, and we have a new ballgame.

Valpower

talksalot

This could be the easiest coaching job they'll have all year.  0 expectations.  just go have fun, enjoy the atmosphere, and don't get hurt.  no pressure.  and Don't be looking forward to going to Springfield Missouri on Saturday...

atkins

Valpo keeps it close in the first half -- i.e., down by 12.  We lose by 27.  Not sure we can stay with them for very long, and the real story will be how Alec performs.  Kentucky's guys will be his competition in the draft. 

Kyle321n

How many people will we have in Lexington? My dad and I are driving down and will be staying the night within walking distance of Rupp. It'd be cool to grab a beer or two with some of you all!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Valpower

I sure hope UCLA doesn't ruin our chance to play the #1 team, as they currently seem to be on the way to doing. Oregon played out of their mind against us after they were handed their first loss and I would expect the same from Kentucky.

valporun

UCLA wins. Makes Wednesday's game even more interesting. Who comes out to play with more fire, Valpo or Kentucky? I'm sure Cal will have his guys ready. I want to see a good game on Wednesday, not just Valpo going for the paycheck.

talksalot

Kentucky's (Nolan) RPI right now is at 40; Valpo is 53, Valpo's SOS is 168 which will certainly go up after Wednesday

Oregon is 42, Rhody is 48...Bruins first team to 9 wins

we have some opponents looking at up-hill games today that could help that ranking...

The Nolan "Predictor" on the game has UK 93-63 and a 99% chance of winning.
The Nolan "Predictor" had UK 99-84 winners over UCLA with an 85% chance of winning.... So THERE!