• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #10 - Missouri State Saturday Dec 10, 20 7pm (CT) JQH Arena, Springfield M

Started by talksalot, December 08, 2016, 08:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

Quote from: a3uge on December 10, 2016, 08:46:35 PM
Quote from: Smj on December 10, 2016, 08:42:39 PM
Shane fouled out when a player rolls around on the floor...   weak call...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
He HAS to be smarter there. Shane has been playing out of control all night.
Smarter?  He just reached down for the ball.   We will have to agree to disagree.   (Earlier I thought Shane needed to get under control but I was asking lotich to sit him for a bit....)

atkins

Definitely a good game by evenly matched teams.  Great win.  Now, on to ISU, fresh off their win against Butler.  That will be a tough one, but winnable. 

Smj

What a way to win ....  and without jubril.....

VUOR63

I wonder if wearing a blindfold would make Alec Peters any less efficient at shooting free throws.  Is there a better sound than the swoosh of the net quieting the "Overrated" chant?

M

Shane has been ...off...most of the season. This team will be even scarier if he returns to form (hopefully soon since we are nearing conference season).

I'm sure ValpoDad will have the scoop on our missing players for us 😉

Happy to see Nick contributing. Having another guy coach can trust out there just makes everyone better. Also, real happy to see AP draining those 3s!

NativeCheesehead

I think the argument could be made this win is just as good as RIU considering it was in the road and short handed. But seeing Paul's tweet about Lottich comments, or lack thereof, on our two suspensions seems to indicate this may be a more serious issue.

valpotx

Gutsy win without two of our main contributors.  I didn't mind the refs at all, like some of you did.  I thought that it was fairly called throughout the game, giving and taking from each team.  Always great to see your main player shove a poker in the eye of each of their students with that stupid overrated chant each time he touched the ball.  I would say that 27 pts and 11 rebounds, with 10/17 shooting, showed that the ratings are correct ;).

Davidson needs to keep playing.  He ended up with 6 assists to 0 turnovers.  He is a steadying presence, and a smart player.  He very much reminds me of Colclasure, in that he doesn't do anything flashy, but he keeps the tempo how we want it.

"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on December 10, 2016, 09:03:24 PM
Nail-biter at the end. Good win with the short bench!

I think something closer to "great" win is more appropriate given the circumstances.  2 of 6 players in a 6-man rotation are suspended prior to the game.  Alec gets in foul trouble in the 1st half and has to sit for the several minutes.  We quickly lose the lead, yet manage to the locker room down by only 5.  Shane fouls out with several minutes remaining in the game, yet we take the lead down the stretch and hold on. Bench players that have barely gotten more than mop-up minutes play 66 of 200 high-pressure minutes in a hostile environment and contribute to the win.  That - is a major accomplishment!

humbleopinion

I saw Jubril at the game.  Was Max there too?  Do suspended players normally get to sit on the bench?
Beamin' Beacons

ValpoDad89

Hums, yes, players suspended due to team infractions are allowed and SHOULD be sitting on the bench. Even in "street" clothes.

ValpoDad89

This game scared me as I didn't how we would respond to losing to KY and we did under adverse circumstances. To put things in perspective, MO St. Is rated higher than Mizzou according to KenPom.

wh

VUBBFan

I thought the reffing was sub-par. Called a couple of flops and miss some obvious ones. I don't think Peters was fouled on the last play at the three point line but was hacked at the basket the time before and no call. So in the end I guess things evened out.

valpotx

He was definitely fouled on that last shot.  It was not a terrible foul, but the guy had his arm at a 45 degree angle, which makes it easy to call such a foul.  Dirk is the King of getting those types of foul calls :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

I've been super impressed with the resolve and poise of this team. I thought the game was pretty much over after they blew a 9 pt lead and Missouri State went up by 8. And also in the second half when Hammink fouled out and they took the lead - I was expecting Missouri State to pull away, but Tevonn hit a big three right away. Foul trouble, two last minute suspensions, some brutal calls, on the road... and they came out with a win.

This is already the 6th time Valpo has come back from a deficit in the 2nd half to win a game. It's been a fun year so far.

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on December 10, 2016, 10:40:39 PM
He was definitely fouled on that last shot.  It was not a terrible foul, but the guy had his arm at a 45 degree angle, which makes it easy to call such a foul.  Dirk is the King of getting those types of foul calls :)
That was a savvy, veteran move by Peters. The guy clearly had his hand in the bread basket and Peters caught him. He also knew the refs wouldn't miss two calls in a row on him. I thought it was pretty obvious, and even the pro-Missouri State announcers acknowledged it was the correct call.

SanityLost17

Quote from: valpotx on December 10, 2016, 09:36:09 PM
Gutsy win without two of our main contributors.  I didn't mind the refs at all, like some of you did.  I thought that it was fairly called throughout the game, giving and taking from each team.  Always great to see your main player shove a poker in the eye of each of their students with that stupid overrated chant each time he touched the ball.  I would say that 27 pts and 11 rebounds, with 10/17 shooting, showed that the ratings are correct ;).

Davidson needs to keep playing.  He ended up with 6 assists to 0 turnovers.  He is a steadying presence, and a smart player.  He very much reminds me of Colclasure, in that he doesn't do anything flashy, but he keeps the tempo how we want it.

I will disagree slightly on Davidson.   Re-watch the last 6 minutes of the game.  After Hammink Fouled out, they went at him every time and scored almost every time.  He is a great guy to have in a pinch (like tonight), but under normal circumstances, he should not be getting that many minutes.   

FWalum

I think Alec is a great player. The last 5:30 of the game he made huge play after huge play. However, the player who kept us in the game for the first 34 minutes was Tevonn. The MSU announcers said it time and time again how tough and aggressive a player he is. When he is out (most of the time with an injury) or not playing well, that lack of toughness and aggressiveness can really show.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FieldGoodie05

DAVIDSON is not a lock em up defender.  But in the final 6-minutes they went 2/2 against him.  Both shots were fade away and as far from the hoop as a shooter can get inside the 3-point line.

I see your point on the defensive side, but he's not a liability which is exactly what we needed.  If he can get us 8-10 minutes a game +a/to ratio than its plus business.

chef

I went back and watched the last 5 minutes a couple times and have a few thoughts. Alec definitely got fouled going up on the last shot. a3uge described what happened perfectly. Nick's overall calmness with the ball at all times was invaluable after Shane fouled out, and although they went at him, most of the shots made over him were contested from 18 feet. The two tiny guards from MSU are outstanding scorers. Nick's toughness, smarts, and calm demeanor reminds me a lot of the intangibles that Jake Diebler brought to the table. Overall the officiating was abysmal. The fact that we had to call a timeout because they wouldn't reset the shot clock to :15 after the blatant kick was incredible. Finally, Valpo has a truly great young head coach.

rink

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 11, 2016, 12:02:28 AM
Both shots were fade away

I don't think either shot was a fadeaway, they were step back jumpers. Looked like decent defense on the first one, but crazy soft defense / huge cushion on the second. Classic case of compensating for lack of speed and athleticism, fearing the blow-by drive.

ValpoHoops

Not sure why anyone is saying Alec didn't get fouled. He clearly was slapped on the right wrist/forearm during the shot. It doesn't matter if it was the first five seconds or the last, he got fouled.

Not the easiest to see, but you can definitely tell that his right hand is off the ball, which is a result of the contact.

vu72

Here's the report from the Springfield newspaper and shows the foul as well as part of the presser.  A really good win against a team that will make some noise in The Valley this season.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2016/12/10/bears-lose-heartbreaker-valpo/95003176/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

I don't think any other HL team goes to Missouri state and picks up a win.  I'm certain no other HL team goes to Missouri state without a starter who was a HL 6th man award winner and their backup point guard, and still produce a win.

We have a good young coach.  I agree.  However in the college game, recruiting is a very big deal.  And that has yet to be seen.
CRUSADERS!!!