• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #10 - Missouri State Saturday Dec 10, 20 7pm (CT) JQH Arena, Springfield M

Started by talksalot, December 08, 2016, 08:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 11, 2016, 08:33:09 AM
We have a good young coach.  I agree.  However in the college game, recruiting is a very big deal.  And that has yet to be seen.

True. I always thought that WSU's Donlon got more out of his players than any other coach in the HL. Unfortunately, his recruiting skills didn't match his coaching skills. That combination doesn't wear well at programs with a history of competing for championships.

Chairback

We don't know the details but this appears to be Jabril's second team suspension.  Says a lot about his commitment and lack of respect for his teammates and program.  Maybe I'm way off base and obviously don't know the details but very disappointing. 

Smj

Quote from: wh on December 11, 2016, 09:55:11 AM
Another fan meltdown from an opposing team:

Fire Paul Lusk tonight...

http://missouristate.247sports.com/Board/59468/Contents/Fire-Paul-Lusk-tonight-dont-waste-this-years-talent-with-him-49714839
Those are fun to read and put games(and teams) into a different light.   I think they have a lot of talent and hope they do well this season....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

wh

Quote from: Chairback on December 11, 2016, 10:32:25 AM
We don't know the details but this appears to be Jabril's second team suspension.  Says a lot about his commitment and lack of respect for his teammates and program.  Maybe I'm way off base and obviously don't know the details but very disappointing. 

For a team trying to build an at-large resume, a loss to a good, but not great, mid-major like MSU could have devastating effects down the road. Whatever Jubril and Max did, they needlessly put that goal in jeopardy. It's enough that the coaches have to worry about dealing with player injuries and illnesses, without guys shooting themselves in the foot.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 11, 2016, 12:04:11 PM
Did Jaume Sorolla come out in the 2nd half? 

•With two rotation players in street clothes Saturday, head coach Matt Lottich shortened his rotation to just six players in the second half. Williams, Sorolla and Peters each played the entire final 20 minutes.

atkins

I, too, thought Jaume played very well.  Agree with oklahomamick. Sorolla made several good decisions to pass the ball after a rebound or loose ball, instead of taking an ill-advised shot or taking a step(s).  Viewing his progression to date, I am impressed.  Heck, I am impressed that he can catch the ball in traffic...Nice to see this in a Valpo big man. 

valpo64

Very disappointed in hearing about Jubril and Max, especially for JA since he has been there before.  What is going on?  Is this for more than 1 game?

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on December 11, 2016, 01:38:07 PM
Very disappointed in hearing about Jubril and Max, especially for JA since he has been there before.  What is going on?  Is this for more than 1 game?

Darn good question!  What the heck is a "University matter"??  If it was, say, a curfew violation, that would fall under a team rule.  If they were out and got into a fight, that would be a public matter, most likely.  This almost seems like an eligibility issue.  If so, this could take a while.  I would expect some sort of clarification fairly soon but I sure don't have any insight into what is going on.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

Quote from: vu72 on December 11, 2016, 03:57:52 PM

Darn good question!  What the heck is a "University matter"??  If it was, say, a curfew violation, that would fall under a team rule.  If they were out and got into a fight, that would be a public matter, most likely.  This almost seems like an eligibility issue.  If so, this could take a while.  I would expect some sort of clarification fairly soon but I sure don't have any insight into what is going on.

The whole "University Matter" seems like a classroom issue to me.  The only thing I can think of is that they were caught cheating on a take home final or a research paper or something.   Since finals are not over yet, it can't be that they failed a class.  So, some sort of cheating or plagiarism would be my best guess. 

vu72

Quote from: SanityLost17 on December 11, 2016, 07:07:53 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 11, 2016, 03:57:52 PM

The whole "University Matter" seems like a classroom issue to me.  The only thing I can think of is that they were caught cheating on a take home final or a research paper or something.   Since finals are not over yet, it can't be that they failed a class.  So, some sort of cheating or plagiarism would be my best guess. 

A good guess and probably correct.  It is odd however as one (Jubril) is a Sports Media major and one, (Max) is an International Business major.  Doubt they were cheating on an exam together!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Let's pick cheating....how are penalties set for that?  University related that is.  I know when we were there a board of our peers and maybe a faculty member met for disciplinary?  Are there set rules for athletics pertaining to cheating?

Hate to compare it to NFL but look at the sort of over reaction that takes place.  Cheating is wrong if they did this, but are we talking slap on the wrist?  Severity and frequency aside, first offense.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 11, 2016, 09:57:49 PM
Let's pick cheating....how are penalties set for that?  University related that is.  I know when we were there a board of our peers and maybe a faculty member met for disciplinary?  Are there set rules for athletics pertaining to cheating?

Hate to compare it to NFL but look at the sort of over reaction that takes place.  Cheating is wrong if they did this, but are we talking slap on the wrist?  Severity and frequency aside, first offense.

Scanned the provisions of the Academic Honor Code and the Athletic Handbook. Looks like a first cheating offense is an F for the course. Also looks like academic chesting is treated as a level-2 student athlete violation, subject to a 1-game suspension or 5% of total scheduled games, whichever is greater. That would mean 2-game suspensions.

This is, of course, totally speculative and not intended to infer in any way that MJ and JA are guilty of cheating or anything else.

agibson

Eligibility-type issues (NCAA Clearinghouse) came to my mind also, but it seems very late in the game for those. And, Jubril seems particularly unlikely to be involved.

The Honor Code did, I'll admit, also come to mind. I hate to speculate on such matters, and I hope to see them back in the game on Saturday. But I am, of course, curious.

In case any fans or alumni might be curious about the Honor Code and Council these days:

You can find some details at
http://www.valpo.edu/honor-council/

I don't have much experience with the Honor Council as it pertains to student athletes. And, the Council itself has undergone some changes in the last five years. I don't think the dust has yet settled. The "standard penalty" for a first offense, if you're found guilty, is for now still failing the course. Exceptions are possible for "extenuating circumstances". There is some discussion about allowing more discretion re the "standard penalty", but I don't know that anything has yet officially changed.

The Honor Council, almost like the NCAA Clearinghouse, can be very slow. Some of the changes I mention have related to bringing some professional management to the table, instead of just "volunteer" students and faculty, to try to expedite the process. I would not at all be surprised if cases that come up in December stretch out into January (or beyond?). There are required meetings, investigations, the hearing itself, etc.

It may be that a guilty plea can work its way through the system significantly more quickly.

Again, I have no idea how this applies to student athletes or their athletic eligibility. And certainly no knowledge about whether any particular students on any particular team have been accused of any academic indiscretion. VU student athletes fairly generally take their classes seriously and as far as I know the men's basketball team has a very good record.

a3uge

We really need Jubril back, but I was impressed with Sorolla. He isn't a game changer or a matchup problem, but he doesn't seem like a liability on either end either.

Davidson getting 21 minutes was shocking. I thought Bradford would have gotten more than 8 minutes, but how can you reward a player that has 4 points, 1 assist in the past 6 games? Really concerning. I know he's just a freshman and he's had limited opportunities, but he has to play himself into the lineup, and he hasn't been doing that.

oklahomamick

We can only speculate what "University matters" means that resulted in two key players being benched for one game and possibly more. 

Oakland on the other hand, had XHM take off his jersey on the bench and throw it across the baseline. Kampe stormed over and sent him to the locker room with one of the assistants. Will be interesting to see if he has to sit a game or two. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo84

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 12, 2016, 10:05:32 AM
We can only speculate what "University matters" means that resulted in two key players being benched for one game and possibly more. 

Oakland on the other hand, had XHM take off his jersey on the bench and throw it across the baseline. Kampe stormed over and sent him to the locker room with one of the assistants. Will be interesting to see if he has to sit a game or two. 

That seems to be definitely an Athletic Department/Team matter, similar to a certain Harden brother, Tom Smith, a water fountain and a hand gesture....   8-)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on December 12, 2016, 10:10:59 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on December 12, 2016, 10:05:32 AM

That seems to be definitely an Athletic Department/Team matter, similar to a certain Harden brother, Tom Smith, a water fountain and a hand gesture....   8-)

You're number 1, you're number 1! 

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 11, 2016, 10:17:29 PMAlso looks like academic chesting

I'd really like to hear your definition of "academic chesting." Is that a post exam celebration or something else? Sure hope it isn't something else!!  ;)

Valpower

Quote from: bbtds on December 13, 2016, 04:10:21 PM
Quote from: wh on December 11, 2016, 10:17:29 PMAlso looks like academic chesting

I'd really like to hear your definition of "academic chesting." Is that a post exam celebration or something else? Sure hope it isn't something else!!  ;)

FieldGoodie05

Peters gets snubbed for HL Player of the week.  Gotta love this "share the love" society.  Winner (NKU guard) averages 23.5 ppg....Alec 25 ppg and 9.5 reb. 

Oh well, hopefully onto bigger and better things.

StlVUFan

Doesn't mean it wasn't, but I would like to point out the word "suspended" never appeared in the statement that was released.  The words I saw were "will sit out, due to a university matter."

Sounded to me like an issue still in adjudication, but I'm not well-informed, so take it with a grain of salt.

It was great running into oklahomamick at halftime (and his better half).

Parking was much more of an issue than it was 3 years ago (I'm pretty sure I parked across from the arena in 2013).  I had to go 4 blocks away (didn't mind - got some exercise that way) and park in a self-service metered lot where you punch in how much time you need, your license plate number, slide your credit card in, etc.  Then you get a text message within 10 minutes of your expiration and you can respond to it to extend your time.  It was 1 dollar an hour originally, 75 cents per hour for extension.  And there was no one there to stop you from just parking and leaving, but the lot is monitored and I imagine they would tow you if you didn't pay.

Every once in awhile I found myself yelling out something like "that's travelling!" and the guy in the row in front of me who kept telling Shane to go back to whatever country he thought he was from turned around eventually and said, "you know the Valpo section is over there" (pointing across to the other side of the court), to which I replied, "I TRIED to get a ticket over there and there weren't any available."  After the game several of them remarked to me that it was a good game and I replied in kind, so it was all in good fun.