• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #11 - Indiana State Saturday Dec 17, 7pm (CT) at the ARC

Started by talksalot, December 10, 2016, 09:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Going for 11 in a row in the ARC... Good luck on Finals...and let's get another W

About the Syc's...

4-4 overall... Nolan RPI is 110. realTime RPI is 112, Sagarin 103
2-0 at home:  Northern Illinois and Buttler
2-1 away - Wins at Ball State and Utah State; loss to NIU (Played 'em twice)
0-3 Neutral... Iowa State, Stanford and Quinnipiac

Play at Home Sunday against #305 Western Kentucky at 3:30CT

Here's their roster
http://gosycamores.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

and here's their stat sheet
http://gosycamores.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

M

talksalot

The Indiana State - WKY game is on ESPN3 Sunday afternoon...if you want to take a break from shoveling...

valpo64

Should be a great matchup.  By the way, what is the deal with our "new" uniforms?  Both home and away lettering(different styles???) is piped in GRAY!  Let's see...no more BROWN and gold but it was replaced by BLACK and gold(or should I say yellow) and now no more black but GRAY??????  Who makes the decisions on uniform design, colors, etc?   The women's teams seem to get it right.

talksalot

Western Kentucky 77, Indiana State 59 in Terre Haute

Sycamores were 19 point FAVORITES going in.

Indiana State was 115 RPI... falls to 165 with that loss.. they fall to 4-5 on the year... the Hilltoppers RPI climbs up to 260.
Based on RPI, we are the best team ISU will face the rest of the year... we have a better RPI than every Valley team.

Nolan Predictor says Valpo by 7;  RealTime Predictor says Valpo by 10 (before they posted the ISU-WKY score)
Sagarin has moved Valpo up from 80 all the way to... 77.  Da Grizz are 78, playing the 348th ranked OOC schedule; Valpo's is 42nd)

FieldGoodie05

ISU was something like 2-24 from 3-land.  Their stud guard (Scott from Ft Wayne) forces things but does have DRIVING ability.  FT % was 59%.

oklahomamick

Quote from: talksalot on December 11, 2016, 05:55:08 PMWestern Kentucky 77, Indiana State 59 in Terre Haute Sycamores were 19 point FAVORITES going in. Indiana State was 115 RPI... falls to 165 with that loss.. they fall to 4-5 on the year... the Hilltoppers RPI climbs up to 260. Based on RPI, we are the best team ISU will face the rest of the year... we have a better RPI than every Valley team. Nolan Predictor says Valpo by 7;  RealTime Predictor says Valpo by 10 (before they posted the ISU-WKY score) Sagarin has moved Valpo up from 80 all the way to... 77.  Da Grizz are 78, playing the 348th ranked OOC schedule; Valpo's is 42nd)

Wish we were in Missouri Valley.... :twocents:
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 11, 2016, 06:06:58 PM
ISU was something like 2-24 from 3-land.  Their stud guard (Scott from Ft Wayne) forces things but does have DRIVING ability.  FT % was 59%.
Nine man rotation... or trying to find a way to make a bucket.  20 of 34 from 2-point

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on December 11, 2016, 05:55:08 PMSagarin has moved Valpo up from 80 all the way to... 77.

It seems really hard to change your position, or at least to climb, in the Pomeroy ratings as well. Not sure if that's comforting, that they're less vulnerable than RPI during non-conference play, or discouraging. Pomeroy, at least, has some pre-season weights? Not sure when those disappear, or become insignificant.

covufan

If the "University Matter" is over

Valpo    80
Ind St    66

If not,

Valpo    76
Ind St    68

talksalot

Year to date stats comparison

Scoring Offense:  Valpo 75.1 to 72.0
Scoring Defense: ISU 68.8 to 72.6
Scoring Margin:   ISU 3.2 to 2.5
Rebound Margin: Valpo +3.5 to ISU -3.9
Assists/Game:   ISU 13.6 to 11.4   (Valpo is #309)
Blocks/Game:   ISU 3.7 to 3.0
Steals/Game:  Valpo 7.5 to 7.0
Turnover Margin:  ISU 1.5 to 0.7
Assist/TO Ratio:   ISU 1.06 to 0.78 (Valpo is #311)
Field Goal %:  ISU 43.7 to 42.3
Field Goal % Defense:  40.0 to 43.6
3ptrs made per game:  ISU 8.0 to 5.5 - (Valpo is #312)
3ptr FG %:  ISU 33.3 Valpo 27.3  (yes, even after going 2-24 on Sunday) Valpo is #340)
Free Throw %:  Valpo 80.2% to 64.4% (Valpo is #5)
D1- W/L %:  Valpo 80% to 50%

So, out of 15 NCAA Stats... ISU leads Valpo in 10 of them.

M

VU2014

It's hard to predict point totals before knowing if Jubril and Max are playing. There has been speculation that the suspensions may have been cheating or plagiarism, which as WH looked up in the rule book is 5% of schedule suspension, which mean two games. I think we win either way but JA and Max are key players to this team and will make getting the win against Indiana State tougher. Indiana State isn't a bad team. They stole a game from #16 Butler earlier this year. 

valpo64

"Hail to the brown, black, gray, yellow and gold,  thy sons and daughters bold".........sorry, just trying to put the colors into context of the Alma Mater lyrics.

Smj

does anyone know anything on jubril and max

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo89

Here's a long term prediction: No Jubril = No NCAA Tournament.

justducky

In his interview with Todd, Matt was asked if Nick Davidson is now in the rotation (as a rotation regular?). "We take those things week by week" (BIG SMILE) is close to an exact quote. Sounded like a no to me.

From what little can be read into it, I took Matt's expectation to be that the "issue" is resolvable with less than catastrophic consequences. For purposes of this conversation I will define catastrophic as being season or career ending. Anything less than that has the inadvertent benefit of hastening our bench development.

I wonder if some folks are sitting on their hands with their Saturday night attendance decisions? Either way should we get to 4000+? Should we start a poll?

crusader05

Students will be gone so i'm thinking it will be hard to get to 4000. Add that to anticipated poor weather this weekend and I wouldn't be surprised to see some disappointing numbers for a match up like this.

agibson

Luke, in the post-game interview, asked students specifically to stay an extra day for the game.

I'm not sure they heard the message.

Campus is already very empty; it seems entirely traditional to leave for home as soon as your finals are done. I assume the dorms will actually close before tip-off.

Hopefully we get a good community crowd. I wish the cheerleaders did a better job of actually -leading cheers-. A fair number of fans up in the mezzanine join in with the student section. But, the cheerleaders don't seem to take on that role.

Even the tradition of a community pep band over Christmas, with most students gone, seems to have dried up.

I'll try to do my part,but even if we get 4,000 I'm afraid it may be relatively quiet.

swiftmutiny

I'm sure there will be a few dedicated students there, but yeah, I wouldn't expect a great atmosphere. Regardless, I'm looking forward to being back in the ARC again.

wh

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 15, 2016, 11:17:15 AM
Here's a long term prediction: No Jubril = No NCAA Tournament.

Trying not to think about it, but I have to agree. We have very limited ability to overcome long-term suspensions to key players anymore than we have to overcome long-term injuries to key players. In either case we will lose games we otherwise would have won and earn a lower seed in the HL tournament than we otherwise would have earned.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: agibson on December 15, 2016, 01:56:53 PMLuke, in the post-game interview, asked students specifically to stay an extra day for the game. I'm not sure they heard the message. Campus is already very empty; it seems entirely traditional to leave for home as soon as your finals are done. I assume the dorms will actually close before tip-off. Hopefully we get a good community crowd. I wish the cheerleaders did a better job of actually -leading cheers-. A fair number of fans up in the mezzanine join in with the student section. But, the cheerleaders don't seem to take on that role. Even the tradition of a community pep band over Christmas, with most students gone, seems to have dried up. I'll try to do my part,but even if we get 4,000 I'm afraid it may be relatively quiet.

It'd be great if they were able to keep the on-campus residence halls open, but I believe they close up the morning after the last finals (which are on Friday?). I realize housing is obligated to staff the buildings if there are students there, but I remember finding VU pretty strict on this kind of thing -- you needed a better excuse than sticking around for a basketball game to remain on campus. Which is a shame when 70% of Valpo students or whatever it is live on campus.

I suppose a lot of them live in greater Chicagoland, but if the weather is bad, I doubt very many will make the trip.
#CrusadersForever