• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #11 - Indiana State Saturday Dec 17, 7pm (CT) at the ARC

Started by talksalot, December 10, 2016, 09:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Todd also said audio is fixed on ESPN but ESPN is a break right now.

Smj

Yeah... Sound is back....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

jloose128

oklahomamick

Since Jubril was on the sideline is it safe to say we will see him in a valpo uniform down the road?  He's not kicked off...?
CRUSADERS!!!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 17, 2016, 09:07:47 PMSince Jubril was on the sideline is it safe to say we will see him in a valpo uniform down the road?  He's not kicked off...?

I'd think that if he was officially kicked off the team, they would have made an announcement. My guess is that they haven't decided on the consequences yet, and until then he's effectively (although unofficially) 'suspended indefinitely.'

If it is academic dishonesty that we're looking at, that will probably take some time to investigate since it is a university matter, in their words.
#CrusadersForever

vu72

A really great performance against a team that beat Butler, and lost to Iowa State (then ranked 21) by 2 and to Stanford by 3.  We are a very tough out and Alec Peters is the reason, pure and simple.  Nice to also see progress for J and Micah.  Even some progress from Derrik.  How good is Tevone?? 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

I'm guessing if this is one player with some academic cheating issues, and not a whole team over a period of years, the NCAA will let Valpo handle the disciplinary matters internally, rather than punishing the current team with losing games won with Jubril or Max in the game.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on December 17, 2016, 09:16:46 PM
A really great performance against a team that beat Butler, and lost to Iowa State (then ranked 21) by 2 and to Stanford by 3.  We are a very tough out and Alec Peters is the reason, pure and simple.  Nice to also see progress for J and Micah.  Even some progress from Derrik.  How good is Tevon /quote]

On just a regular old jumper he must release at 30" of vertical or more. Incredible.

M

So that's what the team looks like when they're hitting those outside shots 💪🏀

VULB#62

This crew does not let distractions alter their drive.  I think they've bought into the "just do your job when it's your turn."  So mature. Are we building a "Valpo Way?"

Holding these guys together despite the JA/MJ thing and getting such a strong performance reflects so well on Matt.

VULB#62

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/12/17/valparaiso-rolls-to-89-71-win-over-indiana-state/95578184/

USAToday already has our result on the web. This is what a strong MBB program can bring to the table with only mild emphasis and B of T support. Imagine if we just kicked it up just one  itty bitty notch.

VU2624

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 17, 2016, 09:16:28 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on December 17, 2016, 09:07:47 PMSince Jubril was on the sideline is it safe to say we will see him in a valpo uniform down the road?  He's not kicked off...?
I'd think that if he was officially kicked off the team, they would have made an announcement. My guess is that they haven't decided on the consequences yet, and until then he's effectively (although unofficially) 'suspended indefinitely.' If it is academic dishonesty that we're looking at, that will probably take some time to investigate since it is a university matter, in their words.

If the Honor Council is involved in any fashion, it can take a while especially considering the scattering that will occur over the next few weeks. 

chef

I don't think it was ever said that Alec said a school record for points in a half. Ryan had 26 a number of years back in the first 20 minutes vs Bethune-Cookman.

ValpoDad89

Sspeaking from experience, whatever had happened with Joseph and Adekoya was simply a university issue on how to handle it. It is not widespread and comes from someone with limited credibility as he's a known thief. Now his allegations may ring some truth to them but the NCAA will allow Valpo a lot of leeway to handle it in house. I doubt they take it any further. With Joseph playing tonight allows one to believe it is now a one player issue. I hope for Jubril's sake it is nonsense and he will be back with the team for no other reasons than A. We need him and B. He came back and is playing his senior season. Such a good kid and deserving of going out on his terms. It's not a "scandal", it's isolated. The U is doing everything to ensure everything is on the up and up. The NCAA is not going to try an tag Valpo as a perennial Cheater either. Again, you have far from a credible witness.

I missed the game but as has been pointed out, we played a team that has some quality wins and quality losses. Decent RPI AND KENPOM ratings too. We beat them pretty handily. A quality non con win at the end of the day. Plus Kentucky just beat UNC today and that has to help RPI as well. How we went from KenPom rated 70 to 80 while beating Mo State on the road and having a very difficult NonCon schedule and being &-2 now 9-2 is beyond me. How I the hell does KenPom rate us being the 2nd luckiest team either? Where does that come from? We have been given no luck. Our 2 losses are to 2 teams ranked in the Top 30 and both were played on the road. I see our RPI AND kenPom rankings improving over time, I really do.

a3uge

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on December 18, 2016, 02:04:14 AM
Sspeaking from experience, whatever had happened with Joseph and Adekoya was simply a university issue on how to handle it. It is not widespread and comes from someone with limited credibility as he's a known thief. Now his allegations may ring some truth to them but the NCAA will allow Valpo a lot of leeway to handle it in house. I doubt they take it any further. With Joseph playing tonight allows one to believe it is now a one player issue. I hope for Jubril's sake it is nonsense and he will be back with the team for no other reasons than A. We need him and B. He came back and is playing his senior season. Such a good kid and deserving of going out on his terms. It's not a "scandal", it's isolated. The U is doing everything to ensure everything is on the up and up. The NCAA is not going to try an tag Valpo as a perennial Cheater either. Again, you have far from a credible witness.

I missed the game but as has been pointed out, we played a team that has some quality wins and quality losses. Decent RPI AND KENPOM ratings too. We beat them pretty handily. A quality non con win at the end of the day. Plus Kentucky just beat UNC today and that has to help RPI as well. How we went from KenPom rated 70 to 80 while beating Mo State on the road and having a very difficult NonCon schedule and being &-2 now 9-2 is beyond me. How I the hell does KenPom rate us being the 2nd luckiest team either? Where does that come from? We have been given no luck. Our 2 losses are to 2 teams ranked in the Top 30 and both were played on the road. I see our RPI AND kenPom rankings improving over time, I really do.
Luck ratings come from playing in a bunch of close games. We've had 5 2nd half comebacks this year. It should decrease after the Indiana State game is calculated.

wh

ISU reporter's thoughts as to whether Valpo would be a good fit for the MVC:

DOWN IN THE VALLEY: Valparaiso musings
By Todd Aaron Golden Tribune-Star • Valparaiso

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/down-in-the-valley-valparaiso-musings/article_b299c020-c4f8-11e6-bdfc-c78e07bf372c.html

"— It was my first trip to the Athletic and Recreation Center, the ARC as Valparaiso calls it. Until Saturday, it was the only Indiana Division I gym I hadn't been to. ISU dropped Valpo back in my early days on the beat. Why did ISU and Valpo not play for nearly a decade? To be honest, part of it was that Royce Waltman had zero use for long-time Valpo coach Homer Drew, and that's probably all I should say about that!

The ARC is a blend of Drake's Knapp Center and Eastern Illinois' Lantz Arena. That's not really a compliment. However, unlike either of those gyms (apart from 2007-08 at Drake), the atmosphere was better and credit to the Region residents (or Region Rats are they affectionately call themselves, but perhaps don't like being called by others) for ignoring the falling and eventually heavier snow that came down during the game.

Would Valpo fit in the MVC? I'm not sure. If Loyola is the standard, then I suppose Valpo fits. They're nominally in the Chicago market, although Valpo is long drive from Chicago proper (not even accounting for Dan Ryan or Skyway traffic), and count not a blip as far as Chicago's sports fans or media is concerned (though both NW Indiana dailies cover the Crusaders).

Unlike Loyola, Valpo has a recent tradition of winning, and seemingly, more enthusiasm. Their RPI is sky-high right now, and certainly on-the-court, the current Crusaders would be immediate MVC contenders.

Like Loyola, Valpo has a friendly vibe, right down to having one of the nuns help with pregame ceremonies.

Valpo would have a long way to go. The ARC would immediately be in last place in terms of basketball facilities. It's clear not much has been done to it since the 1980s. If WSU leaves, Valpo would certainly be on the expansion list again, as it was in 2013, but I think the MVC needs to spread its wings a bit too. If the MVC has to expand again, it shouldn't be a one-horse show anyway. I would bump membership up to 12."

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 18, 2016, 09:17:09 AMIt's clear not much has been done to it since the 1980s.

When evident to a first time visitor do we say we're waiting for it to become Wrigley Field age before we add any true updating to the ARC?

vu72

Here is the whole story from the Terre Haute newspaper from which wh posted a clip about Valpo's fit in the Valley.  It is probably the longest newspaper article I have ever seen and as expected from a beat writer covering a team that just got hammered, a lot of hand wringing.

Indiana State's 72-71 win over No. 16 Butler on Dec. 7 will live long in the memory of every Sycamore fan who witnessed it, the coaches who game-planned it, and especially, the players who played in it.

The excellent performance and the fun that came afterwards, the court-storming, the woofing, etc., will be remembered far longer than ISU's 89-71 capitulation at Valparaiso on Saturday will be.

That will all be true down the line, but right now, in this moment? The Butler win might be the worst thing that could have happened to this set of Sycamores.

The last thing this team needed was to become over-confident. Yes, ISU beat Butler. Yes, ISU nearly beat Iowa State in Florida. Yes, until ISU's equally poor home loss to Western Kentucky last Sunday, they were 10 points away from being unbeaten.

But there's a double-edged sword to those close games no one would want to talk about. ISU was also 17 points away from being winless against Division I competition. They weren't some juggernaut in the making. They were a team that had to scrap for everything it got. It stayed in games because of a unity of purpose and a commitment to unselfish offense and solid defense.

The win over Butler didn't signal an arrival. It signaled what ISU was capable if they ever do arrive. One game does not an arrival make. A team has to back it up or that arrival becomes an aberration instead. An outlier.

ISU has failed miserably to back that upset win up. Sad to say, but they're the architects of their own shortcomings. They forgot what won them the Butler game, and some of the games before it, in the first place.

ISU shared the ball so well in its early season games. I think of Ball State, or Iowa State, or the second half against Utah State. The ball touched everyone, extra passes were made and good shots were available and taken.

I don't know where that went. On Saturday, ISU had six assists. Jordan Barnes was the only Sycamore who had two assists or more. Some of the shots attempted were just hopeless.

ISU players put themselves in untenable positions because they either refused to involve a teammate or fell victim to a bad decision that left them at the mercy of Valpo's defenders.

Part of the problem is a bad mix of over-confidence leading to a total lack of confidence. It's clear some of the players thought they could take the game in their own hands instead of playing to a team concept. The result is individual play that leads to horrible shot selection. There are several players, where, if the ball enters their hands, it isn't going to leave it.

The degree of guilt depends on the skill set. Some, like Brenton Scott, are good enough to get away with it, and you don't want Scott not to shoot. Others, like Donny Franklin and Niels Bunschoten are clearly trying to do things offensively they haven't proven they can do. They aren't playing within themselves.

Once your over-confidence is brought back to reality, the lack of confidence rushes in its place in no time flat. Then you get things like rushed shots and 3-point attempts where shooters aren't set. (Both Bunschoten and Matt Van Scyoc have done this.)

It's the opposite problem in the paint, where post players aren't being decisive going to the rim, though Emondre Rickman had his moments. The ball is being put on the floor or a ball-fake is being done without it being necessary. It screams that ISU's posts aren't confident in just making it simple and taking it to the rack.

As Greg Lansing pointed out after the game, when ISU's offense isn't functioning, it's only a matter of time before the defense goes too.

ISU lived on borrowed time and a couple of stops in the first half to stay within reasonable reach, but when ISU missed its first eight shots of the second half, their defensive will melted. The result was an embarrassing 20-0 Valpo run to start the second half.

How does Greg Lansing fix it? Yes, lineup changes can be made. Perhaps, it's time to give Emondre Rickman a longer look. Perhaps Bronson Kesssinger and Trey Knight too.

Those may help. but there's no magic bullet here. College basketball is a win-with-what-you-brung sport. ISU can't just cut some of its struggling players, or sign someone to a 10-day contract. It has to find a way to make their current players productive.

I chuckle when I see fans saying certain players shouldn't play. Then who should? At some point, you have to find a way to rely on players who may not be reliable at present. That's how this sport works.

The responsibility for regaining pride isn't just the job of the coaches. The players have to reset themselves and find it too. Honestly, I was pretty disturbed by some of the body language I saw in the game, even before it got ugly. The chemistry that was there earlier was clearly missing.

Greg Lansing said that ISU has been off in practice too. It's a cliche', but he's right in that the players have to commit themselves anew to working together.

The temptation to crack the whip will be palatable, but this might be the time to remind the players of what they were doing right before it went wrong.

I'd burn the Valpo tape, because I'm not sure negative reinforcement is the way to go. I'd whip out the Iowa State tape and show the players what they were doing right when it was going well, but more importantly, why they were doing it right and what they need to do to recover their mojo.

After all, it's only been 10 days since everything was peachy.

It seems like 10 years. The good news is that ISU does have time (and no classes for a few weeks) to fix it.

Offense

I addressed some of it above, but let's talk free throw shooting. ISU was 19 of 30 at the line.

ISU has shot the ball worse at the line, but the accumulation of misses has become a "thing" with this team. They practice free throws plenty, I see it all the time. I'm no coach, so I don't know what can be done to make ISU better at line other than continuing to take shots. Is it helpful to try to simulate a crowd while practicing them, kind of like how football coaches yell at field goal kickers (well, Trent Miles used to do it) when they practice their kicks? I don't know and I don't even know how you realistically simulate something like that.

What I do know is that it's demoralizing to miss free throws and that demoralization carries over to the defensive end. Especially when a team misses the front end of a one-and-one.

As for Brenton Scott, I'm concerned about his misses. He was 4 of 11 at the line. He air-balled two and had another that just barely drew rim. Again, I'm no coach, but it appeared he was short-arming his attempts. Obviously, Scott needs to fix it given how much he goes to the line.

Defense

Valpo went right for the jugular, scoring seemingly at will in the paint early (the Crusaders ended up with 30 points in the paint) and then using penetration to draw defense and kick to open shooters. Alec Peters' presence makes that plan easier to execute than it is for other teams, but ISU played right into their hands.

Rebounding continues to kill the Sycamores. Valpo's edge was 49-31, and incredibly, Peters and Jarume Sorolla had more rebounds (27) than all of ISU's individuals combined (25). The team leader in rebounds should never be "Team" the statistical term used for loose balls and possession calls that go out of bounds. Those aren't true rebounds. Team had six for ISU. Rickman was next closest with five.

Players

Note: In this space, we'll discuss some, but not all, players who played.

Brenton Scott (18 points, 4 steals) - Despite the 18 points, it wasn't Scott best night. Most of his points were scored with the game well out of hand.

Scott was in Lansing's crosshairs after the game. As my game story states, Lansing puts the onus on Scott for setting the bad example of individual play.

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_college_sports/isu_sports/sycamores-buried-under-valpo-onslaught/article_6844c334-7255-5b0f-b629-aace2db60dec.html

There's some truth to what Lansing is saying, Scott is always standing on the verge of control and lack of it, but Scott is also capable of playing "individual" and is skilled enough to get away with it at times. What his teammates need to realize is that they can't get away with it. There is one Brenton Scott on this team, and no one else can really create something from nothing as he sometimes does.

Scott also has to know that he can't create something from nothing every time he touches the ball either. Lansing noted after the game, within earshot of Scott, that he had no assists. That's a tad unfair, Scott dished a few times and teammates didn't convert.

Operative phrase there is "a few". Scott can stand to trust his teammates a bit more and then maybe they start to get better and get some productive confidence. Fake confidence is his teammates thinking they can do what Scott can do and get selfish with the ball. Only he's proven he can.

Everett Clemons (19 points) - Clemons was probably ISU's best player. He single-handedly led ISU to a brief first half lead when he noted that Valpo was playing off of him and attacked the basket. He even shot, and made, an open 3-pointer.

The only thing Clemons didn't do was rebound, he had two boards. We've been spoiled by Clemons' rebounding, two rebounds from any other point guard would be completely normal. Sadly, ISU needs every rebound Clemons can get.

Emondre Rickman (6 points, 5 rebounds) - Was it a breakout performance? Hardly, but I thought Rickman at least brought some energy and assertiveness to the table. Five rebounds in 20 minutes is at least respectable, unlike virtually anyone else who ought to be rebounding. He also had two blocks and a steal.

Rickman's man-on-man defense (much different than his obvious ability as a rim protector) and concentration is what holds him back. Hard to fix that from the bench. T.J. Bell's exit gives Rickman minutes he wasn't getting. Let's see what he can do with it.

Other observations

— Did ISU miss T.J. Bell? Well, of course, ISU could have used him to help defend the paint. ISU's depth has been compromised at the five-spot and Bell's intelligence is missed when it came to defensive know-how, etc.

However, was his departure some sort of cloud that hung over the players? I'd be very wary about over-thinking that.

The details of Bell's departure were not made public, of course, other than that he left for personal reasons. I've heard some things privately that will remain private since I was told off-the-record, but I haven't heard both sides, and I won't engage in he-said, he-said since no one wants to talk on the record.

The only comments from Bell have been some tweets (some since deleted) that, frankly, came off a bit immature. I like Bell, even though it was clear he was shy and not comfortable talking to the media. (Which is fine. Athletes don't owe reporters an outward nature.) I hope he finds some peace of mind.

Bottom line is that Bell is gone and ISU has to move on, just as anyone else does in life when someone leaves a job. Using Bell's departure as an excuse for any of the horror that happened on Saturday is too easy and abrogates the players who played from their own responsibility in their undoing.

– Is Peters a future NBA player? Maybe. The offensive skill set is all there. He can hurt you inside and out. He's got a big body. He makes free throws. He hits the boards. He's perhaps the best player ISU has seen this season.

My question on him is twofold: where would he play and can he defend? He wouldn't be a four in the NBA, he would be a three, or even a two. Can Peters defend NBA shooting guards or small forwards? Not sure about that. I suppose Doug McDermott has carved out a niche with the Bulls. Peters is bigger (more accurately, wider) than McDermott, but their games translate similarly.

– It was great to see former ISU assistant coach Dave Ragland before the game. He's one of my favorite coaches that have cycled through ISU. We talked about our kids -- his were babies when he was here and mine were in grade school. Now his are in grade school and mine are in high school or about to be.

Rags is one of the really good guys. He is missed and it showed when everyone from ISU who knew him wanted to say hi and catch up ... ISU coaches included.

— It was my first trip to the Athletic and Recreation Center, the ARC as Valparaiso calls it. Until Saturday, it was the only Indiana Division I gym I hadn't been to. ISU dropped Valpo back in my early days on the beat. Why did ISU and Valpo not play for nearly a decade? To be honest, part of it was that Royce Waltman had zero use for long-time Valpo coach Homer Drew, and that's probably all I should say about that!

The ARC is a blend of Drake's Knapp Center and Eastern Illinois' Lantz Arena. That's not really a compliment. However, unlike either of those gyms (apart from 2007-08 at Drake), the atmosphere was better and credit to the Region residents (or Region Rats are they affectionately call themselves, but perhaps don't like being called by others) for ignoring the falling and eventually heavier snow that came down during the game.

Would Valpo fit in the MVC? I'm not sure. If Loyola is the standard, then I suppose Valpo fits. They're nominally in the Chicago market, although Valpo is long drive from Chicago proper (not even accounting for Dan Ryan or Skyway traffic), and count not a blip as far as Chicago's sports fans or media is concerned (though both NW Indiana dailies cover the Crusaders).

Unlike Loyola, Valpo has a recent tradition of winning, and seemingly, more enthusiasm. Their RPI is sky-high right now, and certainly on-the-court, the current Crusaders would be immediate MVC contenders.

Like Loyola, Valpo has a friendly vibe, right down to having one of the nuns help with pregame ceremonies.

Valpo would have a long way to go. The ARC would immediately be in last place in terms of basketball facilities. It's clear not much has been done to it since the 1980s. If WSU leaves, Valpo would certainly be on the expansion list again, as it was in 2013, but I think the MVC needs to spread its wings a bit too. If the MVC has to expand again, it shouldn't be a one-horse show anyway. I would bump membership up to 12.

Overview

It was a terrible performance, even taking into account Valpo's excellence, and it being a road game, etc. Next up is Eastern Illinois, who ISU lost to last year in Charleston, Ill. in equally embarrassing fashion. The Panthers are hot on the heels of a win at Missouri. Unless ISU's commitment changes, it will be in for more pain at Hulman Center on Wednesday.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

I love this post by Blue thunder on the ISU board.  Hysterical!

Maybe our second half strategy to keep Peters from scoring was to let them get so far ahead that he comes out of game and never comes back in.

Brillant move by Lansing.

IndyValpo

It was my first trip to the Athletic and Recreation Center, the ARC as Valparaiso calls it. Until Saturday, it was the only Indiana Division I gym I hadn't been to. ISU dropped Valpo back in my early days on the beat. Why did ISU and Valpo not play for nearly a decade? To be honest, part of it was that Royce Waltman had zero use for long-time Valpo coach Homer Drew, and that's probably all I should say about that!

I wonder what the Waltman / Drew problem was all about?

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 19, 2016, 10:24:32 AM
It was my first trip to the Athletic and Recreation Center, the ARC as Valparaiso calls it. Until Saturday, it was the only Indiana Division I gym I hadn't been to. ISU dropped Valpo back in my early days on the beat. Why did ISU and Valpo not play for nearly a decade? To be honest, part of it was that Royce Waltman had zero use for long-time Valpo coach Homer Drew, and that's probably all I should say about that!

Did we/Homer run up the score against DePauw or  UIndy prior to Waltman's time at ISU?

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on December 19, 2016, 12:00:55 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on December 19, 2016, 10:24:32 AM

Did we/Homer run up the score against DePauw or  UIndy prior to Waltman's time at ISU?

I have a feeling it had to do with possibly Waltman's resentment of religion in coaching. The Drews have used one way and only one way of coaching. Waltman was a good guy who died of cancer in 2014. His coaching tree is a goood one covering Mississippi State, UIndy, Clemson (Brownell), and also Keith Smart in the NBA and dumbass Dakich, who because he can't coach whines about coaching on TV broadcasts and radio shows.

valpolaw

Does anyone know when we may hear more on Jubril's situation?

VU2624

Quote from: valpolaw on December 19, 2016, 07:04:51 PMDoes anyone know when we may hear more on Jubril's situation?

Typically it's tight lipped about anything like this because of privacy issues. So unless he is removed from the roster, my suspicion is the next bit of information (officially) we get is when he shows up in uniform.