• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #11 - Indiana State Saturday Dec 17, 7pm (CT) at the ARC

Started by talksalot, December 10, 2016, 09:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momofalex

From Valpo.edu:  "All University operated residences close for Winter Break on Saturday, December 17, 2016, at noon and will reopen after Winter Break on Sunday, January 8, 2017 at noon."

vu72

Not that international students are big basketball fans, but where do they stay?  You aren't heading home to India for a few days break!  ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I see a decent number of international students at VU athletics events, including basketball.

Historically they've kept Brandt Hall open through breaks for reasons like this. For international students, and maybe you were eligible if you lived more than X miles from campus. Maybe athletes. Hopefully they are willing to listen to other requests.

I trust something like this is still in place.

"I want to watch a basketball game" probably isn't enough.

Historically it's meant that an outsize fraction of the international students live in Brandt, which may have pros and cons.

I assume they can help you find a room for break if you don't already live in Brandt. But, I imagine that's a hassle.

78crusader

Quote from: momofalex on December 16, 2016, 07:15:07 AM
From Valpo.edu:  "All University operated residences close for Winter Break on Saturday, December 17, 2016, at noon and will reopen after Winter Break on Sunday, January 8, 2017 at noon."

Interesting the University now refers to Christmas break as "Winter Break" and very few people notice. 

Paul

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on December 15, 2016, 12:20:43 PM
In his interview with Todd, Matt was asked if Nick Davidson is now in the rotation (as a rotation regular?). "We take those things week by week" (BIG SMILE) is close to an exact quote. Sounded like a no to me.

From what little can be read into it, I took Matt's expectation to be that the "issue" is resolvable with less than catastrophic consequences. For purposes of this conversation I will define catastrophic as being season or career ending. Anything less than that has the inadvertent benefit of hastening our bench development.

I wonder if some folks are sitting on their hands with their Saturday night attendance decisions? Either way should we get to 4000+? Should we start a poll?

Weather will be a huge factor for some people. How much snow will fall and how blustery will the wind be Saturday night.

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on December 16, 2016, 09:42:28 AMInteresting the University now refers to Christmas break as "Winter Break" and very few people notice. 

*shrug*

I'm not sure that the break has an official name. It's not even listed on the official calendars I see - you need calendars during the semesters, not so much for the times between them. I've seen various administrators, the Registrar's office and others, refer to it variously as "Winter Break", "Holiday Break", "Christmas Break", "Semester Break".

We still get Good Friday off. It's on the official academic calendar, named as such.

That web site with the "Winter Break" language you commented on
http://www.valpo.edu/reslife/
actually calls it both Winter Break and Semester Break.

And it has the rules for break housing. It's now Alumni, Berg, and Uptown East, apparently. Athletes, international students, and those whose homes are 500+ miles away are all allowed. And student teachers and other interns. I assume they'd be open to other possibilities - but maybe not basketball fans (_maybe_ if there was a huge upswell of student support which included RA's wiling to stay the extra day... or maybe if it was a very small number of students and "in the noise").

vu72

Quote from: agibson on December 16, 2016, 11:04:47 AM
Quote from: 78crusader on December 16, 2016, 09:42:28 AMInteresting the University now refers to Christmas break as "Winter Break" and very few people notice. 

*shrug*

I'm not sure that the break has an official name. It's not even listed on the official calendars I see - you need calendars during the semesters, not so much for the times between them. I've seen various administrators, the Registrar's office and others, refer to it variously as "Winter Break", "Holiday Break", "Christmas Break", "Semester Break".

We still get Good Friday off. It's on the official academic calendar, named as such.

That web site with the "Winter Break" language you commented on
http://www.valpo.edu/reslife/
actually calls it both Winter Break and Semester Break.

And it has the rules for break housing. It's now Alumni, Berg, and Uptown East, apparently. Athletes, international students, and those whose homes are 500+ miles away are all allowed. And student teachers and other interns. I assume they'd be open to other possibilities - but maybe not basketball fans (_maybe_ if there was a huge upswell of student support which included RA's wiling to stay the extra day... or maybe if it was a very small number of students and "in the noise").
Quote from: agibson on December 16, 2016, 08:53:59 AM
I see a decent number of international students at VU athletics events, including basketball.

Historically they've kept Brandt Hall open through breaks for reasons like this. For international students, and maybe you were eligible if you lived more than X miles from campus. Maybe athletes. Hopefully they are willing to listen to other requests.

I trust something like this is still in place.

"I want to watch a basketball game" probably isn't enough.

Historically it's meant that an outsize fraction of the international students live in Brandt, which may have pros and cons.

I assume they can help you find a room for break if you don't already live in Brandt. But, I imagine that's a hassle.

There just ATHLETES from 28 States and 9 foreign countries.  I'm guessing at least 500 students fall into the previously mentioned 500 mile range, but given the length of break I suspect even someone from, say, Arizona or Florida may make the trip home.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: 78crusader on December 16, 2016, 09:42:28 AM
Quote from: momofalex on December 16, 2016, 07:15:07 AM

Interesting the University now refers to Christmas break as "Winter Break" and very few people notice. 

Paul
I thought it was called "Winter Break" in the 1980's.  Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Winter Break

valpo64

Valpo89

Quote from: valpo64 on December 16, 2016, 03:09:56 PM
Has anyone heard if Jubril and Max will play?
I have not. Even people who you would think would know are not talking.
What ever happened to just telling the truth and getting it out in the open?
Too novel of a concept, I suppose.

valpo64

You  would think that something would be out by now.  At first the whole thing seemed minor with not alot of  "fanfare".  But with the silence one begins to wonder.

justducky

Quote from: valpo64 on December 16, 2016, 03:57:51 PMYou  would think that something would be out by now.  At first the whole thing seemed minor with not alot of  "fanfare".  But with the silence one begins to wonder.

Almost certainly something has been decided so I am now viewing the total silence as being a tactical strategy. Indiana State is as much in the dark as we are so why provide them with any clues for game preparation?

Wait! This approach would neither be totally fair or totally honest so is Matt being a sly dog or are we facing a much larger and as yet unresolved problem  ???

RS

Taking a more optimistic look at the situation.  Perhaps it could be a class situation where grades may be the issue and exams and  papers which are due this week may be the issues.  I hope this is the situation and where some extra work will in the end will fix the situation.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

M

VULB#62

Pretty scummy series of events if true. Just have to wait and see.  :(  :(

EDIT: Hope this is not fake news (no disrespect Valpofan1000)

ValpoFan1000

unfortunately it's not fake news. Without jubril we are looking at a whole new team.

chef

It's an accurate synopsis. I'm only saying something because I hope it ends some of the wild speculation that I've been hearing.

justducky

Quote from: ValpoFan1000 on December 16, 2016, 08:31:43 PMBasketball manager caught stealing from baseball team, kicked off of team, comes back later and asks lottich for a letter of recommendation, lottich says no, basketball manager begins to black mail jubril and max because he did some of their work, lottich questions max and jubril. Jubril admits, max does not.
Sounds like one admission of cheating and one suspicion of cheating and lying. Now I understand the silence as the appropriate, rule based responses will need to be determined and delivered. While I expect that some of this behavior goes on with a wink and a nod at other institutions this is not one of them.

The wind is out of my sails and I may be one additional empty seat tomorrow. Sorry

wh

Well, our 6-man rotation just became a 4-man rotation plus players with mostly mop-up minutes to their credit.

Without Jubril's scoring we absolutely would have lost all 3 of our biggest wins to date - Alabama (JA 16 points), BYU (JA 12), and URI (JA 13). What we are left with is a 5-5 team with an 8-2 record. Matt will say all the right things like "next man up", etc., but this is a sobering development nonetheless, and absolutely the last thing the program needed in year-1 of the pivot away from the Drew dynasty.

oklahomamick

If story ends up being true.  I think a lot of questions will be answered tomorrow in terms of the discipline handed down.

If they were going to be dismissed wouldn't they have been given a flight home from Lexington instead of traveling and staying with the team in Missouri state?  At MSU JA was joining the team during timeouts.  I did noticed there was no interaction between JA, MJ and the entire coaching staff. 

If the game tips off and they are not at the end of bench in street clothes, well, we've seen the last of JA and MJ.  Adding the Utah st. Player (in which we never heard anything about) that will be 3 players dismissed in the 1st year.  Could really use skara right now. 

I told the wife about the valpo bball situation.  Then showed her the joe mixon tape of him hitting the girl.  He essentially got a redshirt out of situation.  My wife and brother graduated from OU but that's the big difference from the P5 win at any cost universities compared to valpo. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

As much as Nick and J will be needed, I think the same can be said of Derrik and Micah.  I suppose if Lexus gets in foul trouble you can shift Shane over to the point but he will be more effective off the ball, thus the need for Micah. As for Derrik, if J gets into foul trouble the answer is?? Alec.