• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #11 - Indiana State Saturday Dec 17, 7pm (CT) at the ARC

Started by talksalot, December 10, 2016, 09:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Not sure why you can't open it.  I don't have a subscription.  In any event, here ya go:

Nick Davidson and Jaume Sorolla couldn't be more different if they tried.

Davidson is a senior nursing major from the Region, while Sorolla is a freshman international business major from the other side of the world in Tortosa, Spain.

Davidson has played less than 300 minutes during his collegiate career, while Sorolla has played in some of the biggest international basketball competitions that FIBA has to offer.

Different as they may be, Davidson and Sorolla have both been suddenly thrust into the spotlight for the Valparaiso basketball team, especially if Jubril Adekoya and Max Joseph will continue to be held out of action when Indiana State comes to the Athletics-Recreation Center tonight.

Adekoya and Joseph sat out last Saturday's game at Missouri State because of a "university matter." Valparaiso coach Matt Lottich offered no new information on either Adekoya or Joseph during his media availability session Thursday.

With Adekoya in street clothes, Sorolla started for the first time in his Valparaiso career. While his stat line of six points, three rebounds and one block wasn't staggering, the fact that Sorolla played the entire second half was much needed for the short-handed Crusaders. Despite playing all 20 minutes in the second half, Sorolla was never looking to come out of the game.

"Not really," Sorolla said. "I thought, first of all, that I can do that. After the game I thought 'wow, I'm not that tired.' Before the game I thought (playing a lot) could be possible."

"My mentality this year is to be prepared for every second and every minute that they need me to play."

Get the latest sports news and scores sent to your email inbox

While those words came from Sorolla, they also echo the sentiment that Davidson has been bringing for his entire career since the 2013 Northwest Indiana Times Player of the Year came to Valparaiso from Andrean.

Davidson played sparingly under Bryce Drew for three years, but was given a new lease on his basketball life when Lottich took over the program this summer. The pair talked during the offseason about what Davidson needed to do to earn playing time as a senior. Lottich talked, Davidson listened and then went to work.

"It goes back to controlling what I can control," Davidson said. "Listening to what coach is trying to implement and then trying to do that to the best of my ability. Hopefully (during practice) I show him I have enough and he trusts me to go out there and do the game plan. At the end of the day I'm happy with whatever happens."

Davidson was a steadying force for the Crusaders at Kentucky as he helped slow down the Wildcats after their initial surge. Against Missouri State, Davidson delivered a career-high six assists and played the final seven minutes after Shane Hammink fouled out. It was the first time in his career that Davidson had been on the floor in the closing moments of a single possession game.

"He's been ready for it," Valparaiso star Alec Peters said. "Before the season I told him he needs to work harder than he's ever worked before. You have a coach now who is going to throw you out there and you need to be ready."
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

You don't need a subscription...just answer one question, or don't, and you go right to the article.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: ValpoFan1000 on December 16, 2016, 08:31:43 PM
Alright fellow board members I probably shouldn't do this and some may frown upon me for doing so but I am going to break the silence on the Jubril and max situation. I'm not gonna type out the whole story now. maybe some other time so let's go over some highlights. Basketball manager caught stealing from baseball team, kicked off of team, comes back later and asks lottich for a letter of recommendation, lottich says no, basketball manager begins to black mail jubril and max because he did some of their work, lottich questions max and jubril. Jubril admits, max does not. Jubril is probably out for season and max is unknown. That's everything you need to know.

And why should we believe this? I'm skeptical.

valpolaw

So much of that Jubril/Max story doesn't make sense. I can't imagine it being true and truly hope it isn't.

vu84v2

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on December 17, 2016, 10:41:55 AM
Alright fellow board members I probably shouldn't do this and some may frown upon me for doing so but I am going to break the silence on the Jubril and max situation. I'm not gonna type out the whole story now. maybe some other time so let's go over some highlights. Basketball manager caught stealing from baseball team, kicked off of team, comes back later and asks lottich for a letter of recommendation, lottich says no, basketball manager begins to black mail jubril and max because he did some of their work, lottich questions max and jubril. Jubril admits, max does not. Jubril is probably out for season and max is unknown. That's everything you need to know.

Because Chef is an impeccable source and he essentially confirmed it.

NativeCheesehead

If this is true and can be proven, this is really bad. Like potentially program altering bad.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 17, 2016, 11:03:15 AM
Quote from: DMvalpo18 on December 17, 2016, 10:41:55 AM

Because Chef is an impeccable source and he essentially confirmed it.

Fair enough, but I will maintain some skepticism until it is officially confirmed. It's a big accusation, although I'm not implying that I don't believe these guys are knights in shining armor who would never do something dishonest. It's very possible.

valpolaw

What could one possibly steal from the valpo baseball team? Why would someone ask for a letter of recommendation after being let go? What would this manager be black mailing jubril and max for? Who told lottich? Can anyone provide more details? This is horrible after such a great start to the season if true.

ValpoFan1000

Well I'm sorry you're skeptical, but I promise we aren't just pulling your guys' leg. Unfortunately it is true. Basketball manager did work for max and jubril and got mad when lottich wouldn't sign a letter of recommendation so he told lottich about the work he did for our players. Not really sure how I could make this up but time will tell you all.

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 17, 2016, 11:12:12 AM
If this is true and can be proven, this is really bad. Like potentially program altering bad.
Covering it up might be program altering bad, which is something that didn't seem to have happened, since neither player played vs MO State. Players screw up all the time. It's the programs with no integrity that cover this stuff up that get in real trouble.

Even so, Penn State had officials that literally covered up child rape for years and they won the Big Ten a few years later. If child rape doesn't sink a program, I don't think a couple players cheating would either.

VULB#62

Quote from: M on December 17, 2016, 10:10:48 AM
You don't need a subscription...just answer one question, or don't, and you go right to the article.

That was what it use to be for me but on my iPad it only gives me a subscription choice.  I'm OK on my iMac though.

ValpoFan1000

Quote from: valpolaw on December 17, 2016, 11:26:53 AMWhat could one possibly steal from the valpo baseball team? Why would someone ask for a letter of recommendation after being let go? What would this manager be black mailing jubril and max for? Who told lottich? Can anyone provide more details? This is horrible after such a great start to the season if true.

Well apparently some baseball equipment was stolen from the little league field here in Valpo (Valpo Americans) around the same time so some believe it was this guy. Not really sure if the cops are looking into that i cant remember every detail of the story, but obviously this guy needed some equipment for some reason. I cant remember what the letter of recommendation was for exactly, maybe he just decided to ask Lottich because he had something on max and jubril so he figured he'd get it.

oklahomamick

Are there legal charges or just discipline within the university?
CRUSADERS!!!

M

Sounds like an honor code violation to me. Face the honor council I imagine and see how big the hammer is the drops.

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 17, 2016, 11:47:33 AMAre there legal charges or just discipline within the university?
My reading is that this guy may have done assignments (homework, tests or papers?) for Max and Jubril. Someone should correct me if I am wrong.

vu72

So now I'm wondering if getting a failing grade would somehow make the players ineligible and then the program might have to forfeit games in which they played?  Obviously it is pre-conference  but the image of the program would be hurt pretty badly when it hits ESPN.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

The bigger question to me is how is the NCAA involved in such a scenario?  I'm less concerned about what we (VU) will do than what is handed down from the NCAA?

In my mind this is a nothing burger for the program if it's a couple bad decisions by these two players.  It's NCAA level sanctions (not sure they are warranted) that are my real concern.

justducky

Quote from: M on December 17, 2016, 11:51:43 AMSounds like an honor code violation to me. Face the honor council I imagine and see how big the hammer is the drops.
Agree, and the number of classes with violations may determine the number of F grades assigned. Looks like something that could be slow to completely sort out.

I don't see this as an NCAA sanction mater as long as we follow our standard honor code procedures.

agibson

Selfishly, this is a tough situation for fans to be in. Even tougher for families, players, coaches, and probably administrators. Best of luck to all those involved, figuring out how to move through this.

From what we've heard it sounds like it's being taken seriously, as it should be.

agibson

From the "searching hard for good news" department: at least the weather's cooperating. Forecast still for 5" of snow, and (record?) cold coming, but looks like nothing serious until we're all home from the game.

agibson

Osipoff seemed to have some idea of what was up yesterday in his game day piece for the Post Tribune.

Said Sorolla was likely to start, but seemed to think Joseph's disposition for today's game was less clear.

crusadermoe

All but the loyal students are waiting for the Butler  game.

RS

I also doubt this would be an NCAA issue. Depending on the issues involved the players could be suspended for next semester. Looking forward to going to game and support the basketball team. I doubt even the beat writers have the entire story. Chef said enough to make me believe the issues are correct as stated. Lets all get out to the game and support out Team.

Smj

Sad news for the players....   (ALL OF THE PLAYERS)   A bunch of great kids will be impacted and I just hope they all come out well on the other side....

Everyone makes mistakes - it does not mean that much for the program because it sound like they are addressing it.   Just hope it does not ruin futures because it could.   

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

VU2624

Quote from: vu72 on December 16, 2016, 11:22:37 AMThere just ATHLETES from 28 States and 9 foreign countries.  I'm guessing at least 500 students fall into the previously mentioned 500 mile range, but given the length of break I suspect even someone from, say, Arizona or Florida may make the trip home.

Virtually everyone heads home. This particular break is pretty long. Classes don't begin again until Jan 11th. For some students who were done with finals early this past week, they have 4 full weeks off.

I'm also pretty sure that there is an additional charge to stay in the dorms which far exceed the cost of airfare to get home assuming that's an issue for those living in the US.