• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #13 - Chicago State Wednesday Dec 28, 7pm (CT) at the ARC

Started by talksalot, December 24, 2016, 08:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Reliable is appreciated when you're proven right.  But for now a healthy bit of skepticism is acceptable.

You can't hate us for being curious, and for hoping you only heard 1/2 the story...

That is unless you are the manager at the heart of all this.  In which case your word is worth less than dirt.

rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 26, 2016, 08:51:13 AM
Reliable is appreciated when you're proven right.  But for now a healthy bit of skepticism is acceptable.

You can't hate us for being curious, and for hoping you only heard 1/2 the story...

That is unless you are the manager at the heart of all this.  In which case your word is worth less than dirt.
That doesn't make me feel good Field Goodie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a3uge

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 26, 2016, 08:51:13 AM

I'm starting to think this too... Guy is clearly trolling at this point.

VU2014

valpotx

Is Saders back in his multiple personality format?  I notice 3-4 new names pop up that are all fairly similar :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

FWalum

My comment about Jay was concerning his trip back to Spain to be with his ailing father.  Do we know anything more about that situation and how many games he is likely to miss??
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

M

ValpoFan1000

Jubril texted Paul Oren saying "I'm fuc*ed per my source

EddieCabot

Quote from: ValpoFan1000 on December 26, 2016, 05:31:48 PM
Jubril texted Paul Oren saying "I'm fuc*ed per my source

I doubt this happened.  Paul has repeatedly reported that he doesn't have any information regarding Jubril's status.

FWalum

Quote from: FWalum on December 26, 2016, 04:47:48 PMMy comment about Jay was concerning his trip back to Spain to be with his ailing father.  Do we know anything more about that situation and how many games he is likely to miss??
Quote from: M on December 26, 2016, 04:50:29 PMThe article made it sound like just a 1 game absence.
I am just thinking that would be an awfully quick trip.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Can I just ask how the heck Chicago State got on our schedule? What an RPI drag. This will be the 3rd time in 5 years we've played them... Chicago State might not even be a school in a year or two because the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois are utterly broke and the school can't self sustain itself with revenue. Chicago State only had 86 freshman enroll this year for their Fall Semester. Let me repeat 86. Something tells me Chicago State won't be around much longer... http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-state-university-enrollment-future-met-20160927-story.html

My only guess that we're playing them is because of Jubril's brother Jawad was in the team last year. 

rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com

Quote from: VU2014 on December 27, 2016, 12:59:07 PM
Can I just ask how the heck Chicago State got on our schedule? What an RPI drag. This will be the 3rd time in 5 years we've played them... Chicago State might not even be a school in a year or two because the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois are utterly broke and the school can't self sustain itself with revenue. Chicago State only had 86 freshman enroll this year for their Fall Semester. Let me repeat 86. Something tells me Chicago State won't be around much longer... http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-state-university-enrollment-future-met-20160927-story.html

My only guess that we're playing them is because of Jubril's brother Jawad was in the team last year.
How's that for irony.....?

agibson

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 26, 2016, 09:10:47 PMI doubt this happened.  Paul has repeatedly reported that he doesn't have any information regarding Jubril's status.

Seemed like maybe the tone changed a while back. The reporting is still that the team and university have made no comment. And obviously neither of the beat writers has reported anything. But, are they still reporting that they don't _know_ anything?

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on December 27, 2016, 12:59:07 PMCan I just ask how the heck Chicago State got on our schedule? What an RPI drag. This will be the 3rd time in 5 years we've played them... Chicago State might not even be a school in a year or two because the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois are utterly broke and the school can't self sustain itself with revenue.

It seems like Luke Gore, maybe last year, had reasonably nice things to say about the coaching staff and their facilities. That Valpo basketball liked to support their program, something like that. Made it sound like a series that was likely to continue. But, that was perhaps before their financial situation got really bad.

hailcrusaders

Couple of thoughts:

I find it odd that Valpofan1000 is both a fairweather fan and seems to have inside info on the Jubril situation. Inside sources don't usually quit on the team after a loss to Santa Clara. On the other hand, Chef's confirmation is a huge boost in reputability to me.

I have little doubt that our beat writers know more than they're letting on. They are both responsible enough to not stir the rumour mill at this point and to look for official University announcement before breaking anything.

I know little about Chicago State other than it's effectively a must win for team confidence going into conference play. I have a lot of respect for CSU's players who continue to give the team their full effort regardless of the financial situation. Nonetheless, I expect a 20 point win.

Our 5 position is absolutely our weakest link (followed by PG), but even without Jubril, I think Valpo can compete for the conference title and tourney bid. Smits is a work in progress, but Sorolla has generally shown he can take minutes without being a liability. He doesn't do all the little things that Jubril does, but he has length and I think he'll improve. As a whole, the HL is worse this year than last year. Oakland is the other clear contender, but I think they're weaker than last season (nice win vs. UGA though). GB, UIC, WSU and NKU have shown promise but are inconsistent, and rest of the league is abysmal. Finishing middle of the pack would likely include losses to horrible teams, or getting swept by GB or UIC. I just don't see that happening.

The SC game was a debacle, but remember we won a tough game at Mo. St. before then. All is not lost.
#CrusadersForever

rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com

When I asked Jim Peters via tweet he responded with " not an injury? IDK much" so either the writers are really good actors or they don't know much.

vusupporter

Hey, Alec Peters is only one point away from 2,000 career points. Taking a wild guess he'll accomplish that tomorrow.

VU2014

I hate to speculate on the situation but if I had to bet I'd say Paul, Aaron, Todd and some others who are very close to the Athletic Department and program probably already know most of the story of whats up with the Jubril suspension. But I completely understand the professionalism of not saying anything and just say you haven't heard anything.

For what its worth, I asked a friend who is a senior and he said there is a rumor among students that Jubril is out for the year. But to be crystal clear, he said its just a rumor and speculation among students.

Kyle321n

Quote from: rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com on December 27, 2016, 04:22:10 PM
When I asked Jim Peters via tweet he responded with " not an injury? IDK much" so either the writers are really good actors or they don't know much.

Because asking the high school beat reporter is much better than going to the guy who is actually on the Valpo beat...

Well now I'm guilty of feeding the troll.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VU2624

If the situation is some sort of academic fraud I assume this would be processed through the Honor Council. If that is so, the penalty can be simply failing grades in the applicable courses or it could lead to more serious consequences such as expulsion. The hearing itself I would guess can't happen until there are enough council members ready to come back to campus to conduct the hearing which may be after the Spring semester begins. So it may still be a while.

The greater point is that I recall reading a few years ago that a violation, even when a matter of record, is a private matter and that the information is only made available to a select few which did not go beyond the instructor involved, the Dean of Students and the Dean of the course of study of the violator. So, even under the worst case scenario which included the player being booted off the team or expelled, we may only hear that the actions are for "violations of the university code"....or something such as that.

The code and procedure has changed a few times so I'm not sure if the privacy issue remains.

rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com

Quote from: Kyle321n on December 28, 2016, 09:16:30 AM
Quote from: rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com on December 27, 2016, 04:22:10 PM

Because asking the high school beat reporter is much better than going to the guy who is actually on the Valpo beat...

Well now I'm guilty of feeding the troll.
It was a retweet from Hillary which was a retweet from Paul. It's an internet thing. I'm sure Peter and Paul (not THE Peter and Paul of course) talk when they're on break.

usc4valpo

Perhaps Valpo is facing Chicago State to pay tribute to former great Julian Hudson who was a dunk machine in the early eighties.

Chicago State University has serious issues and you would think because of the excessive state funding and unsatisfactory results that a merge or closure may happen. I think it would a shame but likely a necessity.

valpotx

I am comfortable admitting this because I was found to be innocent, and I definitely was innocent.  I was part of an Honor Council/Code Review during my 4th year, where another student claimed that I was cheating on a final, due to some paper that was under my desk/backpack that they felt might have had some answers written down.  Little did they know that those papers were just a guest list for my upcoming wedding in a few months, that I had carried with me to class after my gf at the time had passed them to me on the way to class.  Short-sighted on my part to not just keep them in my backpack instead of under the backpack, but the fact that I never looked down at them during the entire test, should have been an indication that they were nothing relevant.

This was during the Spring semester finals, and I had to wait the entire Summer before I could present my case, before my final grade could be reinstated/delivered.  That was the most painful process to ever experience as a student, as I was close with that teacher (got A's on every single assignment/test as well), and I had to spend several months wondering if he also believed that I could do such a thing.  Once I returned to campus for my 5th/final year, I was met by an Honor Code Investigator (aka another student), explained what happened, presented my evidence, and all was cleared.  He told me that the accuser had just brought up the idea that I could have been cheating since the papers were torn out of a notebook (with the torn chads still attached), not that he ever saw me look down or shuffle any papers, even though there were multiple pages of that wedding list.  I am not a crier at all, and I can admit that I was sniffling during this meeting, as I felt like such a criminal, when I had done nothing wrong. 

It was complete BS that you can just fling an accusation such as this just on a guess, and that you were treated like you were guilty, until you finally had a chance to counter the accusation.  Theoretically, you could just accuse anyone of cheating that you don't like, and cause them several weeks/months of consternation, without any repercussions to the accuser for leveling a false accusation.  I truly hope that they have fine-tuned this process, as unless you have any viable reason/proof to accuse someone of such a thing, the accused should not be treated as I was, made to feel like a student convict, when I had done nothing wrong.

I am not saying that Jubril is innocent if this is happening to him, but the Honor Code Review process is very traumatic if you are innocent. 

"Don't mess with Texas"