• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #14 - @ UIC Friday Dec 30, 4pm (CT)

Started by talksalot, December 28, 2016, 11:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

OK, 10-3 is a nice place to be... means nothing starting Friday at the Pavilion.  National TV audience.  Time to get off on the right foot.  Our RPI fell 12 points PLAYING Chicago State.   The Flames RPI is #254, Chicago State is #252.

Here's the Roster
http://www.uicflames.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Here's the .pdf version of their stats.
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/uicflames.com/documents/2016/11/12/UIC_1617.pdf

#189 DePaul is their best win so far...

M

Valpo with a 72-58 win. I just can't see UIC keeping up offensively without Dixon.

BigDFromUIC

How long have you been in this conference?  Surely, it's been long enough to know we're not "Illinois-Chicago".

I'll say Valpo by 8.  But this will be the last year you sweep us for a while.  Enjoy it now 😉

valpotx

Valpo 76
UIC 62

I don't know if anyone else has ever mentioned, but it looks like Jay and KJ Santos played at the same Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Officially 198 tickets sold through the alumni site.  Weather so far looks very good so expect a pretty good crowd cheering on the Brown and Gold!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

Then what do the I and the C stand for? You sound like that panther guy who hates being called Wisconsin Milwaukee.

I agree, this is the last year UIC could be anyone's whipping boy.

talksalot

Quote from: BigDFromUIC on December 29, 2016, 01:05:03 AMHow long have you been in this conference?  Surely, it's been long enough to know we're not "Illinois-Chicago".

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.   I thought "UIC" was to Illinois Chicago as "Valpo" is to Valparaiso.  Just a user-friendly moniker.  I could have said Chicago Circle Campus but that really would have dated me! 

Flames main collegiate home page is UIC.EDU like VALPO.EDU.

on the "About" page on the collegiate website:   first paragraph:

More than a century of discovery and service
The University of Illinois at Chicago traces its origins to several private health colleges that were founded in Chicago during the 19th century

so, I'll go with that name for the rematch later in the season.

a3uge

So does UIC not stand for anything anymore? Do we pronounce it "you-ick"?

Yeah, it does remind me of Jimmy getting enraged every time someone calls the team by the school that contains the team.

BigDFromUIC

This is simply a matter of branding and respect for a fellow conference member.

See page 84 of the HL style guide.  UIC wants to be referred to as "UIC", and "Illinois-Chicago" is an unacceptable reference according to UIC administration.

http://www.horizonleague.org/pdf/2013-14-MBB-Media-Guide.pdf

We're not even technically a hyphen school...we're an "at" school.  Semantics, sure.  But Milwaukee and Green Bay are officially hyphen schools and I see people follow their branding wishes ("Milwaukee" and "Green Bay") more than UIC's are followed.  You don't call UCLA "California-Los Angeles"...you don't call Illinois "Illinois-Urbana-Champaign".

Obviously there are fans at these schools that make a stink about this because there is a stigma associated with hyphenated schools...that we're second class...the branding desires are there for a reason.

I think fans in this conference should know how each team is to be referred to.  That's all.  You would want your wishes followed too.  According to this guide, your admins don't want you referred to as "VU"...would you be annoyed if on selection Sunday you're name appeared in the bracket as VU instead of Valpo or Valparaiso?  Honest question.

talksalot

wh

Quote from: BigDFromUIC on December 29, 2016, 03:41:10 PM
This is simply a matter of branding and respect for a fellow conference member.

See page 84 of the HL style guide.  UIC wants to be referred to as "UIC", and "Illinois-Chicago" is an unacceptable reference according to UIC administration.

http://www.horizonleague.org/pdf/2013-14-MBB-Media-Guide.pdf

We're not even technically a hyphen school...we're an "at" school.  Semantics, sure.  But Milwaukee and Green Bay are officially hyphen schools and I see people follow their branding wishes ("Milwaukee" and "Green Bay") more than UIC's are followed.  You don't call UCLA "California-Los Angeles"...you don't call Illinois "Illinois-Urbana-Champaign".

Obviously there are fans at these schools that make a stink about this because there is a stigma associated with hyphenated schools...that we're second class...the branding desires are there for a reason.

I think fans in this conference should know how each team is to be referred to.  That's all.  You would want your wishes followed too.  According to this guide, your admins don't want you referred to as "VU"...would you be annoyed if on selection Sunday you're name appeared in the bracket as VU instead of Valpo or Valparaiso?  Honest question.

As a Chicagoland local and regular listener/watcher/reader of Chicago news and sports, I can attest that the Chicago media refers to the university exclusively as "UIC."  As our family caravan approaches the campus tomorrow afternoon, there will be UIC directional signs plastered everywhere - just like last year, and the year before that. There's nothing new here.     

covufan

UIC.  Got it.

10-3 is good, but only a start to (at least) 20-3.  We need to come out strong and send a message, with or without Jubril.

Valpo   83
UIC      71

usc4valpo

This is similar when morons call USC "Southern Cal", when it should be properly referred to as SC, USC, Troy or Southern California.

UiC is improved and I expected a close Valpo win.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 30, 2016, 09:55:19 AMThis is similar when morons call USC "Southern Cal", when it should be properly referred to as SC, USC, Troy or Southern California. UiC is improved and I expected a close Valpo win.

There's a region of the country in which USC means something other than Southern Cal. Much like USF can mean different schools to different areas of the country.

usc4valpo

Disagree. Lou Granny Holtz was always anti USC and would intentionally refer to USC as "Southern Cal"

hailcrusaders

I understand why schools have branding guidelines, but it amuses me when they get a stick in their you-know-wheres about using certain abbreviations. USC could be the University of Southern California or the University of South Carolina. (U)ND around here means Notre Dame, in other places it means North Dakota. USF could be San Francisco or South Florida. CSU could be Chicago State (or Chi State, according to their jerseys. I wonder what their branding guidelines say about calling them that), Cleveland State, Colorado State, or Charleston Southern.

University admins need to realize that people call their school what they do for a reason, and there are more efficient ways of getting publicity than hiring branding committees to come up with silly rules.
#CrusadersForever

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 30, 2016, 11:00:00 AMDisagree. Lou Granny Holtz was always anti USC and would intentionally refer to USC as "Southern Cal"

You can disagree all you want but it is the case.

NativeCheesehead

UIC, Illinois - Chicago, Valpo, VU, Milwaukee , UWM.......

Lighten up Francis.......

Smj

Looking forward to espn replay because I want to see the traveling call on Shane that got him a technical

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

EddieCabot

Quote from: Smj on December 30, 2016, 04:50:51 PM
Looking forward to espn replay because I want to see the traveling call on Shane that got him a technical

It was a walk.

usc4valpo

Ok, fine. As long as we do not get a hissy fit when someone refers Valpo as " Valpar-I-so"

NativeCheesehead

Win or lose. I'm really questioning Lottich's sub patterns here. 

M

Smuts and Sorolla have played real well! I wish AP would play a little defense.

Smj

Hahaha - at the Valpo/uic game and they were throwing uic shirts into the stands.   My wife leaned over and said "I don't need another painting shirt"

a3uge