• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

January Prediction Poll

Started by wh, January 04, 2017, 11:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict January's record

8-0
9 (26.5%)
7-1
19 (55.9%)
6-2
3 (8.8%)
5-3
3 (8.8%)
4-4 or worse
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: January 06, 2017, 11:54:07 PM

wh

Almost forgot this, but better late than never.

Following is January's 8-game schedule, 6 of which are at the ARC:

Fri 6           Oakland    
Sun 8   Detroit Mercy
Thu 12   @Youngstown State   
Sat 14   @Cleveland State   
Mon 16   Green Bay   
Sun 22   UIC   
Fri 27   Wright State
Sun 29   Northern Kentucky   

What will our January record be?

FieldGoodie05

6-2

We looked a little like our old selves these last 3 games (Trinity esque).  Need to be hitting on all cylinders immediately, OU has suddenly started playing defense this season.  It's 50-50 tomorrow night, our edge is home court but Santa Clara took us at home.

This prediction is without Adekoya for what I would guess to be 2-3 games more.  Crossing my fingers for the OU game...

usc4valpo

7-1. Like almost all teams, Valpo will have a "below C" game and lose to someone.

vu84v2

I am concerned that there could be two off games where Valpo gets beat, but my guess is that it is one.   7-1

78crusader

If we hope to win the regular season conference title, then we better go 7-1.  6 of our final 9 conference games are on the road.  Not one of them will be easy.

Paul

crusadermoe

By RPI measures, we get all of the better teams to come to Valpo during January and only have to play CSU/YSU trip on the road.  Champions win these home games..

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 05, 2017, 06:51:21 AM
7-1. Like almost all teams, Valpo will have a "below C" game and lose to someone.

What USC said.

covufan

Peters and the Freshmen will send a message to the HL that Valpo means business!  8-0!

4throwfan

Crusadermoe makes a good point.  Of the 8 games, 6 are at home, and the two away games should be wins.  Which means that 8-0 should be the target.  7-1 likely means a loss to Oakland or Green Bay at home - either way, that could spell trouble if Valpo does not then win on their home court.  In February, only 3 of 9 are at home, so having an L in that month is not quite so bad.  On a side note, having only one home game after February 11 really shortens the season.  A home game after that date means no NCAA tournament.

M

It doesn't really matter what their record is. Not like there is a great reward for winning this terrible league anymore.  Just be healthy and clicking come tourney time. That said, Valpo is going 8-0, and the first one will beat a beat down of Oakland.

4throwfan

I disagree with your first sentence.  More wins is always better.  Kind of agree with your second sentence.  The reward is not as great, but there is a reward.  Being a 1 seed in the conference tourney likely means playing NKY, and then either Oakland OR GB in order to win the tourney, whereas being a 2 or 3 seed likely means playing both Oakland AND GB.  I'd rather have the former.  Agree with your last two sentences.

M

That's fine, I disagree with my sentence too.

justducky

Quote from: 4throwfan on January 05, 2017, 05:02:34 PMBeing a 1 seed in the conference tourney likely means playing NKY, and then either Oakland OR GB in order to win the tourney, whereas being a 2 or 3 seed likely means playing both Oakland AND GB.  I'd rather have the former.
The Ken Pom and Sagarin ratings both rank NKY slightly better than Green Bay and from what I have seen I am not arguing. Ok maybe Green Bay is streakier vs NKYs relative consistency but both will be dangerous in March.

Kyle321n

I'm voting 7-1 because I am pretty sure we'll lose a game, but I don't see the loss on that schedule.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 06, 2017, 09:05:46 AM
I'm voting 7-1 because I am pretty sure we'll lose a game, but I don't see the loss on that schedule.

I thought the exact same thing. We should be favored to win every game, but without knowing the final disposition of the Jubril/Max situation, we may well lose one due to a depleted talent pool on top of an already short bench. Thus, I went 7-1.

VULB#62

Seems to be a prevailing theme.

Quote from: wh on January 06, 2017, 01:09:50 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on January 06, 2017, 09:05:46 AM

I thought the exact same thing. We should be favored to win every game, but without knowing the final disposition of the Jubril/Max situation, we may well lose one due to a depleted talent pool on top of an already short bench. Thus, I went 7-1.
Quote from: VULB#62 on January 05, 2017, 01:40:36 PM

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 05, 2017, 06:51:21 AM

What USC said.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

OK.  After the Oakland thumping, we need to now go 7-0.  GO VALPO!

Valpo89

I want to change my vote to 4-4.

justducky

Just for the record I was one of the 6-2 votes.

wh

Congrats to the 19 of 34 voters who accurately predicted a 7-1 January!  We sure did it the hard way - a loss in game-1 followed by 7 consecutive wins.