• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #17- Youngstown state Thursday January 12 7:45pm (6:45pm CT) Beeghly Center

Started by talksalot, January 08, 2017, 06:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Let's reconnect as a team and sweep Northeast Ohio.  Three games in five days.

M

valpotx

Game #17, but besides that, I think that we handle them fairly well:

Valpo 72
YSU 64
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Another TRAP GAME. Could come out listless and flat. This team has yet to show the grit and determination they once had in the OOC schedule.  And isnt this game 17?    BTW...... Let' s put a proper game thread symbol on this and correct the title. I believe the poster who started this can do both.   Thanks!

covufan

With Jubril, 87-72, without 83-75

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talksalot

Quote from: valpotx on January 08, 2017, 06:38:01 PM

Valpo 72
YSU 64

Phat Phingers on a tablet...

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 09, 2017, 07:59:47 AM
Quote from: valpotx on January 08, 2017, 06:38:01 PM

Valpo 72
YSU 64

Phat Phingers on a tablet...

This is interesting. I was just reading about this kind of jewelry for people who have trouble, due to arthritis, of putting jewelry on. I was just showing it to my wife who has just started experiencing some arthritis in her fingers. The name of the jewelry is Phat Phingers.

http://www.phatphingers.com/index.html

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 08, 2017, 06:52:04 PM
Another TRAP GAME. Could come out listless and flat. This team has yet to show the grit and determination they once had in the OOC schedule.  And isnt this game 17?    BTW...... Let' s put a proper game thread symbol on this and correct the title. I believe the poster who started this can do both.   Thanks!

If we clarify things, it is a 7:45 pm game (odd time), but 7:45 in Ohio. -Eastern- time. 6:45 pm central.

talksalot

OK, thanks for all of the edits to the damn thread name...

anyway...

Here's the YST  Roster
http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/roster

Here are the YST Stats
http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/files/teamcume.htm

Their RPI is 215

They are 5-2 at home, wins over
#67  AKRON 90-82
#292 NIAGARA 101-97 OT
#287 MILWAUKEE 88-87 2OT
(two non-D1s)

Losses to:
#97 Canisius 90-84
#145 Green Bay 90-77

Other Games:
Lost to #289 Jacksonville 79-54 Neutral Court
Lost at #224 Southern Alabama 84-75
Won at #231 Robert Morris 75-74
Lost at #34 Michigan State 77-57
Lost at #310 American 77-62
Lost at #143 Northern Kentucky 83-70
Won at #141 Wright State 80-75

Nolan RPI predicts Valpo wins 81-78 with a 61% surety.
(they also predict ClevSt beats UIC 72-71 with a 54% surety)

a3uge

I think they're simply known as Youngstown now. Wait, maybe they go by their school's name? Or maybe it's THE Youngstown State University Penguins? 

VULB#62

I am interested in seeing what we do (strategically) on this road trip. Do we learn from the less than expected performances of the past two game and adjust?  Or do we find better ways to use our best weapons more effectively?  Do we go through the motions, or do we come out with fire? This Ohio trip, while on paper is a slam dunk, will be a measure of how this team responds to unmet (so far) expections.

VUBBFan

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Alec Peters says watching film from this weekend, he hasn't seen same team that won in Vegas, beat Rhode Island. #HLMBB</p>&mdash; Paul Oren (@NWIOren) <a href="[tweet]818894435450814464[/tweet]">January 10, 2017
   Could it be that we are missing someone? JA?

swiftmutiny

Looking forward to catching the game tonight. I predict that Valpo bounces back after a slow start to win by 10+.  :twocents:

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

oklahomamick

Valpo is 33-9 all time against YSU.  When was the last time VU dropped a game to the Penguins?
CRUSADERS!!!

swiftmutiny

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 12, 2017, 03:15:25 PM
Valpo is 33-9 all time against YSU.  When was the last time VU dropped a game to the Penguins?
I did some digging, and the last time was January 30th, 2013 at Youngstown. The final score was 80-68, with a starting lineup of Buggs, Bogan, Kenney, Broekhoff and Van Wijk. It's kind of funny looking back and seeing Vashil only getting 3 minutes off the bench. It's amazing how much he's improved since he arrived at Valpo.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: swiftmutiny on January 12, 2017, 04:09:44 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 12, 2017, 03:15:25 PMValpo is 33-9 all time against YSU.  When was the last time VU dropped a game to the Penguins?
I did some digging, and the last time was January 30th, 2013 at Youngstown. The final score was 80-68, with a starting lineup of Buggs, Bogan, Kenney, Broekhoff and Van Wijk. It's kind of funny looking back and seeing Vashil only getting 3 minutes off the bench. It's amazing how much he's improved since he arrived at Valpo.

Youngstown State had a more respectable team that year and the year before. Kendrick Perry was the best player for them in a long time and Damian Eargle was a block monster. Went 7-9 conference but 16-14 through the regular season. Qualified for the CIT, beat Oakland (ha) 99-87 in the first round, then blew a 17 point halftime lead to Canisius in the second round. I think they beat us (pretty handily) in 2012 at the Beeghly as well.
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 12, 2017, 03:15:25 PM
1/30/2013 at YSU. During Valpo's first Horizon League at-large season. Broekhoff scored only 10 points and went 3-13 while Kendrick Perry dropped 28. Valpo made only 19 of 31 free throws in a 12 point loss.

That was actually the second in a row Valpo lost to YSU - they had stumbled the previous year at YSU as well. Broekhoff shot 2-10 in that game and bogan, boggs, buggs, and Kenny combined for a total of 8 points in a 17 point shellacking. That was actually the first time YSU beat Valpo in Horizon League play, and broke a 14 game win streak.

Valpo is currently on a 7 game win streak and holds an all time record of 33-9 over YSU.

oklahomamick

with 6 minutes left in the first half, YSU is shooting over 70% 3pointers.  Seems like other teams shoot 3 pointers well above their average against us. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Watching online -- YSU "network."  Ran a HL ad for the Motor City Madness.  Lots of clips -- NONE were from the Joe.  All the clips were of games in HL team arenas that were filled and had people cheering.

VU2014

You can definitely tell from the early going that Coach Lottich is trying to get everyone involved in this game, specifically Micah.

Coach told Paul yesterday:
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/819317715844403201
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/819319398452305920
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/819319561786970114
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/819319829530345474
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/819319971432067072

He's going to let guys take their bumps and bruise by learning on the job. Not a bad move to get Micah some experience/confidence when we are playing weaker conference competition.

hailcrusaders

It's the under 4 MTO in the first and we've already seen two walk ons on the floor at the same time. Bradford started. I don't see Adekoya, did he not make the trip?
#CrusadersForever

VUBBFan

I don't see Jubril either. Could be good or bad. If he stayed behind to face the Honor council it's good because it means there is an end in sight. Which still could be good or bad. Of course I know nothing. It's just my mind spinning.

sliman

Most of us are dealing with spinning minds with this situation, but I wouldn't read too much into the fact he's not with the team in Youngstown.  I suspect he was allowed to sit on the bench at home, but not travel with the team.  This is the first distant road game since he went to the sidelines.  I was not at the UIC game, but it's possible Jubril attended it on his own but I don't recall if he was there and/or if he was on the bench.