• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #17- Youngstown state Thursday January 12 7:45pm (6:45pm CT) Beeghly Center

Started by talksalot, January 08, 2017, 06:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoHoops

Quote from: a3uge on January 13, 2017, 11:59:44 AM
Can Jubril take a redshirt year? Theoretically...

Unlikely. A true redshirt (aka, planned) means you can play in zero games. An injury redshirt is 30% of the games. This situation would likely fall under the former and he would not qualify.

(Side note: unless he was at a power 5 school. Then they'd give him this year back and two more for his troubles... /sarcasm)

VU2014

Quote(Side note: unless he was at a power 5 school. Then they'd give him this year back and two more for his troubles... /sarcasm)

The funny thing is its probably true or at the very least the NCAA would look for ways to give an extra year.

This Jubril situation wouldn't exist at a power 5 school. Jubril wouldn't even need to go to class if he went to a Kentucky type school. Everyone in the media has reverence for John Calipari but to be honest I think he's a better salesman/recruiter then an x's/o's coach. Derrick Rose played for Calipari at Memphis for a year. Derrick Rose never even took his ACTs and got into that school. I don't think many of his athletes are going to class and I'm willing to bet everything I own that $ is getting given to players from booster the that Calipari "has NO idea" is going down. When their athletes come in for a recruiting visit they probably meet coach Cal in a conference room after some small talk coach Cal leaves the room and a trainer/assistant walks in with # on a napkin. The NCAA doesn't have a financial interest in taking down a Calipari program that is bring boat loads of $. The NCAA is interested in helping these programs.

Sorry for my rant  :) And to clarify, I like that our Valpo student athletes are actually students and that our University has higher standards. But I think this potential appeals process has gone on for way too long.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on January 13, 2017, 01:11:27 PM
Quote(Side note: unless he was at a power 5 school. Then they'd give him this year back and two more for his troubles... /sarcasm)

The funny thing is its probably true or at the very least the NCAA would look for ways to give an extra year.

This Jubril situation wouldn't exist at a power 5 school. Jubril wouldn't even need to go to class if he went to a Kentucky type school. Everyone in the media has reverence for John Calipari but to be honest I think he's a better salesman/recruiter then an x's/o's coach. Derrick Rose played for Calipari at Memphis for a year. Derrick Rose never even took his ACTs and got into that school. I don't think many of his athletes are going to class and I'm willing to bet everything I own that $ is getting given to players from booster the that Calipari "has NO idea" is going down. When their athletes come in for a recruiting visit they probably meet coach Cal in a conference room after some small talk coach Cal leaves the room and a trainer/assistant walks in with # on a napkin. The NCAA doesn't have a financial interest in taking down a Calipari program that is bring boat loads of $. The NCAA is interested in helping these programs.

Sorry for my rant  :) And to clarify, I like that our Valpo student athletes are actually students and that our University has higher standards. But I think this potential appeals process has gone on for way too long.

The men's BB and FB programs at snowflake central (U. of Missouri) have been accused of "grooming" team tutors to help players cheat:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kansascity.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article116694258.html?client=safari

I have to believe that this goes on everywhere where athletes masquerade as students.

oklahomamick

Quote from: VU2014 on January 13, 2017, 01:11:27 PM
The funny thing is its probably true or at the very least the NCAA would look for ways to give an extra year. This Jubril situation wouldn't exist at a power 5 school. Jubril wouldn't even need to go to class if he went to a Kentucky type school. Everyone in the media has reverence for John Calipari but to be honest I think he's a better salesman/recruiter then an x's/o's coach. Derrick Rose played for Calipari at Memphis for a year. Derrick Rose never even took his ACTs and got into that school. I don't think many of his athletes are going to class and I'm willing to bet everything I own that $ is getting given to players from booster the that Calipari "has NO idea" is going down. When their athletes come in for a recruiting visit they probably meet coach Cal in a conference room after some small talk coach Cal leaves the room and a trainer/assistant walks in with # on a napkin. The NCAA doesn't have a financial interest in taking down a Calipari program that is bring boat loads of $. The NCAA is interested in helping these programs. Sorry for my rant  :) And to clarify, I like that our Valpo student athletes are actually students and that our University has higher standards. But I think this potential appeals process has gone on for way too long.

Let's be honest, I don't think the Jubril situation would exists at many of the other HL schools. 

CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

QuoteThe men's BB and FB programs at snowflake central (U. of Missouri) have been accused of "grooming" team tutors to help players cheat:

A little off topic but still worth sharing imo: At the University of North Carolina they were caught creating fake classes for players on the football team. One of the professors came out and admitted to the fake classes and were teach student athletes how read. It's actually a pretty sad situation and a failure of parenting and of the educational system some kids get caught up in where they just get passed along through the system. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/unc-report-academic-fraud/

CNN Article: Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders

"As a graduate student at UNC-Greensboro, Willingham researched the reading levels of 183 UNC-Chapel Hill athletes who played football or basketball from 2004 to 2012. She found that 60% read between fourth- and eighth-grade levels. Between 8% and 10% read below a third-grade level.
"So what are the classes they are going to take to get a degree here? You cannot come here with a third-, fourth- or fifth-grade education and get a degree here," she told CNN."

VU2014

oklahomamick, very true. I can think of a couple other schools in the HL that very likely don't have our standards.

Example  UW-Milwaukee men's basketball team, received a postseason ban for extremely poor academic performance. Students weren't going to class and failing grades.

http://fox6now.com/2014/04/09/uwm-mens-basketball-team-banned-from-postseason-due-to-academic-performance/

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on January 13, 2017, 09:57:31 AM
Quote from: agibson on January 13, 2017, 09:05:09 AM
Quote from: sliman on January 12, 2017, 07:57:38 PMMost of us are dealing with spinning minds with this situation, but I wouldn't read too much into the fact he's not with the team in Youngstown.  I suspect he was allowed to sit on the bench at home, but not travel with the team.  This is the first distant road game since he went to the sidelines.  I was not at the UIC game, but it's possible Jubril attended it on his own but I don't recall if he was there and/or if he was on the bench.
[/b]
I don't definitively remember seeing him at the UIC game, but I think the crew I was watching with, or surely someone on the board here, would have been watching for him. I definitely did not note his absence at the UIC game (how's that forms double negative?).

I've missed his dad in the student section at the ARC. Admittedly, it's been a while since we've had something deserving the name.

He was there as was his mom and a group of friends.  I saw them at a restaurant across the street after the game.  I also saw his on the bench during the game as I pointed him out to a couple of friends.

I saw Jubril at the end of the Valpo bench as he sat in a chair that was positioned in the corner where the baseline starts.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann