• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #18- Cleveland State Saturday January 14 3:30pm (2:30pm CT) Wolstein

Started by talksalot, January 12, 2017, 09:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vusupporter

We shot 11 3's today. That's just one off our low in a single game over the last two years. 4 of them were from Walker, who came into the game hitting 40% from 3. 4 of them from Peters.

Our turnover rate today was our second-lowest of the season, only topped by the Southern Utah game.

vu72

Quote from: JPEven on January 14, 2017, 05:45:53 PM
For example, this is (in a tie) the worst we have shot the 3 in the 17 seasons ESPN provides data for. 

Good point.  This team is shooting the best free throw percentage of any of our teams in the 17 seasons for which ESPN provides data.  We are shooting 7.1% better than our previous best year (06-07) and an incredible 19.4% better than our worst year (08-09)!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

M

One of my favorite plays from the game was when Shane drove the lane and just went up and over everyone. He drew the foul but he went in there with bad intentions for the rim. That's what I want him to do when he drives.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: talksalot on January 14, 2017, 07:02:39 PM
Here's the box score...

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2016-17/5940/at-cleveland-state-01-14-2017/

Good minutes-distribution... Need the crowd in the ARC on Monday to bring this one home!

SHANE Hammink 1 Reb @ 6'7"...seem like lack of hustle is a cause for this?  Bad bounces?  Bad attitude? 

Solid road wins, good amount of work needed to be competitive against GB.  Hopefully we continue to mature and keep that "fire in the belly" that we had BYU ALABAMA URI ISU etc

JPEven

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 14, 2017, 07:20:01 PMSHANE Hammink 1 Reb @ 6'7"...seem like lack of hustle is a cause for this?  Bad bounces?  Bad attitude?  Solid road wins, good amount of work needed to be competitive against GB.  Hopefully we continue to mature and keep that "fire in the belly" that we had BYU ALABAMA URI ISU etc

Could be, but maybe they aren't sending him to the boards?  It would seem weird to me too, but with Smirolla, Peters and, apparently, Tevon crashing the boards, the game plan could be to send Shane back on D... not a bad guy to send back - can stop ball or, if he has too, match up in the post until AP and Smirolla get back down the court.

agibson

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 14, 2017, 04:21:16 PMOk, putting it all in perspective.  It's clear that the HL has (4) of the nations best full court press D's.  I mean UIC, UDM, OU and now CSU...

Anyone know what our scout team looks like? How's their press?

talksalot

I see the reported attendance: 1831

based on the pictures on ESPN3... I'm guessing someone missed a hyphen.  it was 18 on one side and 31 on the other.

valpospartan

Quote from: talksalot on January 14, 2017, 08:16:31 PM
I see the reported attendance: 1831

based on the pictures on ESPN3... I'm guessing someone missed a hyphen.  it was 18 on one side and 31 on the other.

Maybe it included the "students " sitting in the end.

VU2014

I was just able to watch the full replay of the game. Did anyone see that hustle play where Derrik help save the ball from going out of bounds and  cause him to lose balance and fall into a few people sitting on the sideline? First great hustle. Second, at the very end of the game on the replay when they zoom out to show the whole court and while everyone is leaving to the locker room you can see Derrik running up to the people he fell into at the end of the game to apologize and make sure they were okay. Shows some great character. Rik and his wife raised their son the right way. Pretty proud to call him a Valpo Crusader.

The fan actually tweeted about the moment.

https://twitter.com/abbymcc13/status/820402598587072513

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/#type/replay/

oklahomamick

Valpo dropped 6 spots after beating CSU last night.  CSU actually moved up 7 spots.  After oak lands loss to Detroit we are the only HL team in top 100.  Although Oakland will probably be returning.  Incoming Green Bay has the leagues 3rd best at 128. 

i always thought CSU regardless if the talent was there or if it transferred, always fouled and hand checked.  I never cared to watch these games because the refs couldn't keep up with the amount of fouls.  They had 29 fouls last night. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

Glad to see Alec put up great scoring numbers.  It is too bad that he couldn't have had one more rebound to keep his double-double streak going.  I hope he continues to get 15 or more field goal attempts a game along with increasing his 3-point tries.  What a treat and pleasure to watch this outstanding young man play. 
The way he conducts himself both on and off the court is truly exemplary.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on January 14, 2017, 07:37:36 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 14, 2017, 04:21:16 PMOk, putting it all in perspective.  It's clear that the HL has (4) of the nations best full court press D's.  I mean UIC, UDM, OU and now CSU...

Anyone know what our scout team looks like? How's their press?

It's fairly easy to fix the full court press opposition in practice. Put 6 or 7 guys pressing instead of 5.