• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters commits to Valpo!

Started by valpopal, September 30, 2012, 06:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I thought this deserves a topic heading of its own. Welcome Alec Peters to the incoming class of 2013!

wh

This is exciting news!  Congratulations to the coaching staff, and of course congratulations to Alec, as well!  What a recruiting class!

wh

joehoopsreport: Valpo picks up a huge recruit tonight as Washington sharpshooter Alec Peters commits to coach Bryce Drew.

The guys on the ISU board are really a class act.  As disappointed as they must be, they are congratulating Coach Drew and wishing Alec well.  I will be pulling for them in the MVC.

VULB#62

And congrats to all you guys on this board who pushed Alex in this direction with all your karma and positive vibrations.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Take a bow guys!

vu72

Fantastic!!  As I've posted earlier, Alec is certainly as big a pickup as we've had in a VERY long time.  21 scholarship offers including Tennessee, Boston College, Utah, Washington, Illinois State, Butler and most of the Horizon League.  So much for the complaining of some regarding us just taking transfers.  We now add five true freshman to blend with a very talented group of transfers and cement the future.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Great news!!  Welcome Alec!  You are a great fit with a great school and program.  Congratulations to Coach Drew and his staff for a job well done.  I remember Alec and his Dad telling me that that were so impressed with Coach and the staff and it sure was a sign of things to come with his commitment.  Play ball!!

vuweathernerd

this is certainly great news! woohoo!!

wh

Nice tweet from a future teammate:

Clay Yeo ‏@ValpoBound5
@petersalec Congrats my dude! Can't wait to ball with u!

vufan75

Outstanding news!! Per the Illinois Prep Bulls-eye article I referenced in the other thread, Coach Powell deserves much credit as he was the lead recruiter for Alec and actually all 3 Illinois recruits who chose Valpo. And kudos to Coach Drew as well, as he is mentioned as being very well liked by Alec and his family and having established a close bond with Alec during the course of his recruitment of Alec.

Could not be happier right now with how the future of Valpo hoops looks. :)  :thumbsup:

valpopal

The following link contains video of Alec Peters announcing his commitment to Valpo and an interview with him following the announcement. He sounds like a mature and grounded young man:

http://www.cinewsnow.com/sports/Washingtons-Alec-Peters-picks-Valpo-172019211.html

PantherFan

You're getting a great kid from a great family. I've known the family for a long time. If you dont have anything to do over the Thanksgiving hoiliday week Alec's high school host one of the top Thanksgiving tourneys in the country. You'll be able to see your new recruit play several games against some good teams. for whatever reason I'm not allowed to post a link, but if you do the www thing with sftofc.org/ you will get to the tourney site for info.
Congrats to Valpo Nation

wh

Quote from: PantherFan on September 30, 2012, 09:07:02 PM
You're getting a great kid from a great family. I've known the family for a long time. If you dont have anything to do over the Thanksgiving hoiliday week Alec's high school host one of the top Thanksgiving tourneys in the country. You'll be able to see your new recruit play several games against some good teams. for whatever reason I'm not allowed to post a link, but if you do the www thing with sftofc.org/ you will get to the tourney site for info.
Congrats to Valpo Nation

Welcome to the board, PantherFan!  You have to have 5 posts before you can post a link.

Here's the direct link to the tourney:

http://www.sftofc.org

valpopal

Add Alec Peters to our other 2013 freshmen--Jubril Adekoya, Nick Davidson, Lexus Williams, and Clay Yeo--as well as the 2013 eligibility of transfer David Chadwick, plus at least one more recruit opening available, and I believe you are looking at the strongest incoming group ever at Valpo in terms of potential impact.

historyman

Will someone get Alec a "real" Valpo shirt. That looked like a knock off from the Walmart in East Peoria.  ::)

:)  :) ;D  ;D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

PantherFan

For your pleasure. The Peoria Central team was the eventual State champs we lost to in sectionals

www. highschoolcube.com/event/peoria-central-at-washington-community-high-school-202362

valpo64

Historyman:  Thanks for the info  re:  Alec's commitment info

valpospartan

Quote from: historyman on September 30, 2012, 10:38:18 PM
Will someone get Alec a "real" Valpo shirt. That looked like a knock off from the Walmart in East Peoria.  ::)

:)  :) ;D  ;D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)
Look more closely, historyman - it actually is a pretty cool shirt (even though it's a nike).

PantherFan

The State Farm Tournament of Champions is under way. Last night Peters scored 31 in this game against S Miami Florida Cobras. If you're interested in watching here is a link. You can watch other games played and future games in the tourney also. add your own www since I cant post links :)

highschoolcube.com/event/south-miami-vs-washington-2012-state-farm-tourname-302187

bbtds

Quote from: PantherFan on November 22, 2012, 03:23:39 PMThe State Farm Tournament of Champions is under way. Last night Peters scored 31 in this game against S Miami Florida Cobras. If you're interested in watching here is a link. You can watch other games played and future games in the tourney also. add your own www since I cant post links

www.highschoolcube.com/event/south-miami-vs-washington-2012-state-farm-tourname-302187

StlVUFan

Whoever was in charge of updating the score on the viewer screen was regularly asleep at the switch during the first quarter.

I didn't have the sound on so I have no explanation for the technical foul that "replaced" the opening tip.

High School hijinks ;)

valporun

Stl, I was just watching the opening moments of that game, and it was an error in the scorekeeper's book against the South Miami team, so Alec was given two technical free throws to shoot.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on November 22, 2012, 06:04:54 PM
Stl, I was just watching the opening moments of that game, and it was an error in the scorekeeper's book against the South Miami team, so Alec was given two technical free throws to shoot.
Ah.  I've heard of that one.

wh

Alec scores 31, 40 and 29 in the State Farm Tournament of Champions
Named Tournament MVP

Alec Peters (Valparaiso) followed up a sensational 40-point effort on Friday by scoring 29 points en route to leading host Washington past #6-ranked Chicago St. Rita 57-46 in the title game of the State Farm Tournament of Champions.

Washington led 34-32 at the end of three quarters and the veteran team led by Peters took care of business in the fourth quarter by consistently finding their way to the free throw line.

Washington led 47-41 with 3:15 to play when St. Rita's star sophomore Charles Matthews fouled out of the game. 

Washington led 49-43 with just over 2 minutes to play when Peters put the game away by finding Troy Adams for consecutive layups to push the margin to 53-43.

Washington then closed it out at the free throw line for the 57-46 final.

Peters was named MVP of the event.