• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Basketball Facilities Upgrade this Summer

Started by VULB#62, February 01, 2016, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

We don't really have a dedicated "facilities" string so I put this news here.  I originally put it in the "$2 million gift" string and there was only one reply.  Most board members have been complaining about the university's support of athletics (esp.MBB) and this indicates a changing perspective.

This was just received in MLB's first Crusader Report of 2016:

For Valpo Athletics, the new year brings big plans to upgrade one of the most historically significant spaces on campus. It is with great excitement that I share our plans to renovate the Hilltop Gymnasium this summer, should we be able to secure gifts to fund the project. The renovation will include the installation of LED lights, air conditioning, fresh paint, new metal doors, and window shades. Originally commissioned in 1939, Hilltop was the first building built by the Lutheran Education Association after purchasing the school, and served as the primary gymnasium and basketball venue for 50 years. With these changes, we hope it will serve as a premier practice facility for both basketball programs.

The changes to Hilltop will be one of two projects supported by the Basketball Championship Fund. The other component includes a significant renovation of the men's basketball locker room. Associate Director of Athletics, John Kuka, is leading the effort to secure the lead funds for these projects. These upgrades will further strengthen our ability to attract and retain the coaches and students needed to win basketball championships.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 01, 2016, 04:44:51 PM
We don't really have a dedicated "facilities" string so I put this news here.  I originally put it in the "$2 million gift" string and there was only one reply.  Most board members have been complaining about the university's support of athletics 9esp. MBB) and this indicates a changing perspective.

This was just received in MLB's first Crusader Report of 2016:

For Valpo Athletics, the new year brings big plans to upgrade one of the most historically significant spaces on campus. It is with great excitement that I share our plans to renovate the Hilltop Gymnasium this summer, should we be able to secure gifts to fund the project. The renovation will include the installation of LED lights, air conditioning, fresh paint, new metal doors, and window shades. Originally commissioned in 1939, Hilltop was the first building built by the Lutheran Education Association after purchasing the school, and served as the primary gymnasium and basketball venue for 50 years. With these changes, we hope it will serve as a premier practice facility for both basketball programs.

The changes to Hilltop will be one of two projects supported by the Basketball Championship Fund. The other component includes a significant renovation of the men's basketball locker room. Associate Director of Athletics, John Kuka, is leading the effort to secure the lead funds for these projects. These upgrades will further strengthen our ability to attract and retain the coaches and students needed to win basketball championships.

I'd be happier if the money was for ARC upgrades. It impresses recruits and is needed for the fans. Even if most are just casual fans. Some casual fans would come just to see the changes at the ARC out of curiosity.

VULB#62

That's big money. Right now we cannot present anything that is state of the art for recruits today. The dedicated upgraded practice facility and the new locker room will have a bigger, immediate impact on recruits right now. Be happy that at least something is being done. When was there an upgrade to MBB infrastructure in the recent past?

Think about it. You are a top tier forward looking at a bunch of schools. Valpo shows you a nice renovated ARC where you will be playing. Then you are shown a locker room that hasn't been updated in 10+ years and a practice facility that dates back to the 60s. You ask yourself, where do I spend 90% of my time? 

I am sure that these two projects are driven by Bryce and the staff. They know what it takes to win over recruits. ARC renovation is more for the fans and attendance.

valpo95

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 01, 2016, 07:35:59 PM
That's big money. Right now we cannot present anything that is state of the art for recruits today. The dedicated upgraded practice facility and the new locker room will have a bigger, immediate impact on recruits right now. Be happy that at least something is being done. When was there an upgrade to MBB infrastructure in the recent past?

It may not be state of the art, but I think the Schrage Basketball wing (the BB offices and lounge area) were completed 15 years ago. As I recall, there was a re-fit to the weight room (Mosak Performance Center) about 10 years ago. The new floor (Homer Drew court) was added about 5 years ago. This may not compare to what a recruit would see at Michigan or Notre Dame, but it probably shows pretty well against many HL, MAC or MVC facilities. 

NativeCheesehead

So does this scrap the proposed fieldhouse/practice facility that was planned for the former hospital site?

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 02, 2016, 09:46:06 AM
So does this scrap the proposed fieldhouse/practice facility that was planned for the former hospital site?
I could be wrong, but don't think the University ever stated specifically that they would build a dedicated practice facility within the new Fieldhouse. I was under the impression that they would move all non-D1 athletics into the new facility, along with the general student body.

NativeCheesehead

I know these things aren't made public but does athletics have a ten year plan? A twenty year plan? As much as we would like an upgrade to the arena it's really not pressing right now. However, I think most of us are would be in agreement if the arena is (mostly) the same in ten years it would be a disappointment.

agibson

Quote from: valpo95 on February 02, 2016, 08:47:21 AMIt may not be state of the art, but I think the Schrage Basketball wing (the BB offices and lounge area) were completed 15 years ago. As I recall, there was a re-fit to the weight room (Mosak Performance Center) about 10 years ago. The new floor (Homer Drew court) was added about 5 years ago.

Did Hilltop itself also get some attention in the not-so-distant past? 

VULB#62

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 02, 2016, 11:28:30 AM
I know these things aren't made public but does athletics have a ten year plan? A twenty year plan? As much as we would like an upgrade to the arena it's really not pressing right now. However, I think most of us are would be in agreement if the arena is (mostly) the same in ten years it would be a disappointment.

Yes, there is an athletics strategic plan, but it is high level and does not specifically state a series of projects with associated timelines

Not at all. Two entirely different things. See next quote by a3uge and my related comment.

Quote from: a3uge on February 02, 2016, 10:20:02 AM
I could be wrong, but don't think the University ever stated specifically that they would build a dedicated practice facility within the new Fieldhouse. I was under the impression that they would move all non-D1 athletics into the new facility, along with the general student body.

You are correct. The 30 year plan called for a new field house/recreation facility AND expansion/ renovation of the ARC. I might add a subtle qualification to my bold above:  All Valpo teams are D-I. I think that many of the "non-revenue D-I teams (T&F/CC, MSO, WSO, SB, Tennis and Golf) would move out of the ARC leaving the ARC for MBB, WBB, VB, Swimming and FB. 

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 02, 2016, 12:07:50 PM

Yes, there is an athletics strategic plan, but it is high level and does not specifically state a series of projects with associated timelines

Not at all. Two entirely different things. See next quote by a3uge and my related comment.

Quote from: a3uge on February 02, 2016, 10:20:02 AM

You are correct. The 30 year plan called for a new field house/recreation facility AND expansion/ renovation of the ARC. I might add a subtle qualification to my bold above:  All Valpo teams are D-I. I think that many of the "non-revenue D-I teams (T&F/CC, MSO, WSO, SB, Tennis and Golf) would move out of the ARC leaving the ARC for MBB, WBB, VB, Swimming and FB.

When I say non-D1, I more meant intramurals, club teams, and the general student body, but I'm sure the track team, softball, tennis team etc would leverage the space in the new field house. It's crazy how they allow random pickup games right on the ARC floor.

And per the master plan, it's available right here:

http://issuu.com/smithgroupjjr/docs/valparaiso_university

Athletics starts on page 102 of 255.

Abbreviated version here:

http://www.valpo.edu/masterplan/assets/docs/VU%20MP%20Exec%20Summary_final.pdf

The detailed master plan assumes offices in the ARC for all D1 programs, but it doesn't really touch of the makeup of the new field house. It's also rather vague about ARC upgrades... Just that concessions / restroom upgrades would be on an expansion to the north end so that it's shared with Brown Field.

VULB#62

Yep, intramurals and general student recreation and fitness definitely going over to the new facility.  The "reborn" facility formerly known as the ARC, will be almost exclusively for varsity athletics -- so no more Recreation in the name.  I wonder what they will rename it to and what they will call the brand new facility where the recreation will move to?

talksalot

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 02, 2016, 03:29:22 PMI wonder what they will rename it

Drew Indoor
The Drew
The Ark
Homer Dome
Drew Indoor Varsity Arena (Diva?)
B&G Center
Madison Square Garden ... or, sorry, that's aready taken

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on February 02, 2016, 04:05:50 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 02, 2016, 03:29:22 PMI wonder what they will rename it

Drew Indoor
The Drew
The Ark
Homer Dome
Drew Indoor Varsity Arena (Diva?)
B&G Center
Madison Square Garden ... or, sorry, that's aready taken

Maybe Homer Drew Court in the O.P.K. Garden?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Actually, I could see them transferring the ARC name to the new facility -- it would be appropriate.  That is, unless one of you guys donates $20 million for it and then we'll name it after you. 

a3uge

hailcrusaders

Quote from: a3uge on February 02, 2016, 01:45:31 PMIt's crazy how they allow random pickup games right on the ARC floor. 

Personally, I think it's awesome that pickup/intramurals are played on the ARC floor. As a student, I got to shoot hoops on the very same baskets on the very same floor that the varsity team did. You could just close your eyes and imagine 4000 fans in the stands cheering you on. On one of the Crusaders' nights off, I remember playing pickup in the main gym floor and realizing that in several other HL arenas, there were actual games being played at that very moment. One of the perks of going to a small school with a D-I program.
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 02, 2016, 05:23:29 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 02, 2016, 01:45:31 PMIt's crazy how they allow random pickup games right on the ARC floor. 

Personally, I think it's awesome that pickup/intramurals are played on the ARC floor. As a student, I got to shoot hoops on the very same baskets on the very same floor that the varsity team did. You could just close your eyes and imagine 4000 fans in the stands cheering you on. On one of the Crusaders' nights off, I remember playing pickup in the main gym floor and realizing that in several other HL arenas, there were actual games being played at that very moment. One of the perks of going to a small school with a D-I program.
Yeah, looking back it was pretty cool. I tore my ACL on that court - I'll one day be able to tell my kids that.

ValpoHoops

Another small school who uses their basketball arena as their rec center...

Duke.

Perhaps you've heard of them?

Most college basketball fans dream of getting to play in that arena. Duke students can do it every day.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 02, 2016, 08:41:19 PM

Duke.

Most college basketball fans dream of getting to play in that arena. Duke students can do it every day.

Whoever they are, we seem to be getting more AP Top 25 votes than them.
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 03, 2016, 07:46:02 AM

Duke.

Whoever they are, we seem to be getting more AP Top 25 votes than them.
Got em!

ValpoHoops

Duke.

I was sending from my phone, so I didn't really sit and type out all of my thoughts...

I should have added: I'm not necessarily advocating that we don't do anything to the arena. I'm saying that I'm not totally opposed to it being available for student use...but that if done the right way, it can work for everyone. Still, I'd love to see it be an athletics-only facility. And that's speaking from someone who used it on both sides...the athletics and the recreation.

humbleopinion

Quote from: a3uge on February 02, 2016, 05:30:32 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 02, 2016, 05:23:29 PM

Yeah, looking back it was pretty cool. I tore my ACL on that court - I'll one day be able to tell my kids that.

This isn't just true of small schools.  When Minnesota was the largest school in the nation, I played intramural ball on the court in Williams arena.  When I watch games today, I wonder if they have fixed the dead spot under the basket at the east end of the court.
Beamin' Beacons

78crusader

I've always thought the ARC was too dark.  If and when the remodeling takes place, I would vote for the north wall to be replaced with windows to let in natural light, which would also make the arena look and feel larger.  Probably there would have to be some structural work done since I'm not sure the roof as it is currently designed would support an expansion of this wall further north.  The picture below of the Palestra in Philadelphia is an example of a more "open" arena.  Getting rid of the concession stand and creating "bowl" seating on at least one end would also help.

Paul

Valpower

Quote from: 78crusader on February 03, 2016, 12:12:28 PM
I've always thought the ARC was too dark.  If and when the remodeling takes place, I would vote for the north wall to be replaced with windows to let in natural light, which would also make the arena look and feel larger.  Probably there would have to be some structural work done since I'm not sure the roof as it is currently designed would support an expansion of this wall further north.  The picture below of the Palestra in Philadelphia is an example of a more "open" arena.  Getting rid of the concession stand and creating "bowl" seating on at least one end would also help.

Paul
The ARC is dark, but it could probably be remedied through lighting improvements which, unlike windows, would make a difference day or night.  Bowl seating is probably the number one thing that will help with the high-school-gym perception, period.

oklahomamick

Love it, just needs blacktop instead of hardwood.  (Thats a joke)
CRUSADERS!!!