• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Basketball Facilities Upgrade this Summer

Started by VULB#62, February 01, 2016, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

If I had won the recent billion dollar lottery, I told my wife that $40mil would go to Valpo just to replace the ARC. I would have told the architect that I would like the new ARC either look like Phog Allen or the Palestra on the inside. They could do whatever to match the campus on the outside.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Quote from: Valpower on February 03, 2016, 12:37:05 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on February 03, 2016, 12:12:28 PM
I've always thought the ARC was too dark.  If and when the remodeling takes place, I would vote for the north wall to be replaced with windows to let in natural light, which would also make the arena look and feel larger.  Probably there would have to be some structural work done since I'm not sure the roof as it is currently designed would support an expansion of this wall further north.  The picture below of the Palestra in Philadelphia is an example of a more "open" arena.  Getting rid of the concession stand and creating "bowl" seating on at least one end would also help.

Paul
The ARC is dark, but it could probably be remedied through lighting improvements which, unlike windows, would make a difference day or night.  Bowl seating is probably the number one thing that will help with the high-school-gym perception, period.

Or just proper seats.

StlVUFan

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 03, 2016, 07:46:02 AM
Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 02, 2016, 08:41:19 PM
Another small school who uses their basketball arena as their rec center...

Duke.

Perhaps you've heard of them?

Most college basketball fans dream of getting to play in that arena. Duke students can do it every day.

Whoever they are, we seem to be getting more AP Top 25 votes than them.

Untrue.

StlVUFan

a3uge

Technically Duke got more voters, but Valpo got more points because Graham Couch loves us.

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on February 03, 2016, 02:38:21 PM
Technically Duke got more voters, but Valpo got more points because Graham Couch loves us.
I'm shocked that they got 27 votes in coach's poll and only 7 in writer's poll, is what I'm saying.

It did occur to me that the AP poll might not have been the one I had seen.

FWalum

Quote from: Valpower on February 03, 2016, 12:37:05 PMThe ARC is dark, but it could probably be remedied through lighting improvements which, unlike windows, would make a difference day or night.  Bowl seating is probably the number one thing that will help with the high-school-gym perception, period.
Lots of arenas going to LED lighting.  This article describes all of the advantages of LED stadium lighting. LEDs Transforming the Game  Much better lighting, lower energy costs, instant on and off (spotlight intros even for ESPN broadcast games) and many other perks as seen in this video.

! No longer available
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Just found this video on Purdue's new Ephesus LED lighting system for Mackey Arena.

! No longer available
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on February 04, 2016, 08:03:02 AM
Quote from: Valpower on February 03, 2016, 12:37:05 PMThe ARC is dark, but it could probably be remedied through lighting improvements which, unlike windows, would make a difference day or night.  Bowl seating is probably the number one thing that will help with the high-school-gym perception, period.
Lots of arenas going to LED lighting.  This article describes all of the advantages of LED stadium lighting. LEDs Transforming the Game  Much better lighting, lower energy costs, instant on and off (spotlight intros even for ESPN broadcast games) and many other perks as seen in this video.

! No longer available

Cost?

VULB#62

They are going LED in Hilltop. Why not just expand to include the ARC too?

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on February 02, 2016, 01:45:31 PMJust that concessions / restroom upgrades would be on an expansion to the north end so that it's shared with Brown Field.

It'd be handy, for soccer games, to have restrooms closer at hand.  Probably some people go to football games, too, and would appreciate it.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on February 03, 2016, 02:38:21 PM

Nice!  I'd missed the development... It's funny how news seems to take a few weeks to trickle down the rankings... 24->33 seems like too big of a hit _just_ on the basis of a loss at top-25 Miami.  But, on the heels of a home loss to Syracuse the previous week, and losses to Notre Dame and @Clemson the week before...

Just 2-5 against the RPI top-50.  We really might manage better than that, if given the chance.

VULB#62

I would love the ARC to look like the lower bowl at ISU (but the seats would have to be brown or gold).

[tweet]799991952271929344[/tweet]

That is a 10,000+ arena. All we would need would be 6K.