• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

We knew this day would come sooner or later. With Paul Oren tweeting that seems like it's happening, that's good enough for me. And hey, if nothing else this can be a good drill. ;D

I think RP has to get first crack at this if he doesn't follow Bryce, right? Already talked about as a future head coach, handled our good recruiting of Ill. I truly don't think the importance of this hire can be overstated. With our continued lagging behind in facilities and money, if we fall off a bit under the next guy it might be a long road back to the top.

hailcrusaders

When did PO suggest this was happening?
#CrusadersForever

VULB#62

[tweet]716326400354033664[/tweet]
[tweet]716316084022951937[/tweet]
[tweet]716314282670034944[/tweet]

NativeCheesehead

My bad.  Put that out before the other tweets.  Stop messing with my emotions Paul! 

Still think both those would be good fit for him.    And here I was looking forward to a relaxing Saturday

valpotx

He did that on purpose, since you read so many ridiculous reports from 'sources.'  The SLU fans said Bryce already had a verbal agreement, sources say that Bryce has been waiting for the Vanderbilt opening, etc.  It's all a chess play in most situations, where sometimes it just means he had a call with someone, but told them 'no.'  It helps build interest in their position and school to continue to push out information without any verifiable source.
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet

Wait a minute... I just read this on the internet. 

oklahomamick

I support deleting this thread.  Should not be a thread until and if it actually happens.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

I agree that the thread should be deleted and no one (besides myself) should continue to post in this thread.   ;)

hailcrusaders

I think it's perfectly legitimate to speculate. There will be a day (hopefully later rather than sooner) when Coach Drew will need to be replaced. But we all need to be clear that as it stands now, Bryce Drew is the head coach at VALPARAISO UNIVERSITY.
#CrusadersForever

VU2014

This is a depressing thread.... but I think it will be Powell if he doesn't go with Bryce to GT or Vandy. Powell has paid his dues as an assistant and has been a huge recruiting asset in Chicago. Apparently he was the one who really connected initially with Alec Peters, Jubril, and Keith.

If we're look elsewhere I think:
-MARTIN INGELSBY (ND assistant)
-Marty Simmons (Evansville HC) probably wouldn't take the job because its a conference demotion
-Jon Coffman (IPFW HC)- Not sure he'd take the job, but it would be a conference step up and he's a pretty underrated coach.
-Scott Cherry (High Point HC)
-Andrew Toole (Robert Morris HC)
-Rob Murphy (eastern Michigan HC)

I was hoping in the past that if Bryce left us that Linc Darner (green bay HC) would still be available. He's a darn good coach.

NativeCheesehead

Appears this thread wasn't premature

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Vanderbilt expected to hire Bryce Drew. Deal expected to be done in next 24 to 48 hours.</p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@SIPeteThamel) April 4, 2016
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

VU2014

We need to start talking succession plan. Is this Powell's job if he wants it? Does he follow Bryce? Does he take all his assistants with him to Vandy? If Powell doesn't want the job who do we get to replace him?

NativeCheesehead

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 04, 2016, 10:30:57 AM
Appears this thread wasn't premature

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Vanderbilt expected to hire Bryce Drew. Deal expected to be done in next 24 to 48 hours.</p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@SIPeteThamel) April 4, 2016

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well at least this guy has 115000 followers!   :(

Mark has always said that schools like Valpo need a succession plan built into the program, ala that school in Indy.  Powell is the sexier pick because he is a person of color and played professionally.  At the same time Luke Gore has been with Valpo for 15 years!  I imagine he would like to be considered. Or, MLB could opt for a national search which would bring many top coaches and perhaps top assts at national programs ready to take the reigns. 

Let's hope this is more bs, but it seems like it could be the real deal.  Bryce has unfinished business at Valpo but also would be leaving before the cupboard is pretty bare.  I would think a guy like Bryce would want a program he loves to continue being successful.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

It would need to be Powell, otherwise we run a real risk of losing Peters as well.  I have to think that ML realizes this aspect, so hopefully Powell wants to be a HC.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo04

[tweet]717020916799184897[/tweet]

oklahomamick

Has to be Powell.  Gore doesn't have the playing experience as Powell does.  Powell is a good recruiter. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I love Tonagel, but it's a large step up from NAIA D-2 to NCAA D-1.  The dude is extremely smart, and I assume that he can recruit at this level as well, but would Peters stay?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo89

I'm fairly certain Luke Gore is from Tennessee. I'll bet he'd be the first one to jump ship with Bryce, and get a nice pay raise in the process.

Call me a homer, but I think Greg Tonagel's name needs to be thrown into the mix. A VU guy with multiple national championships on his resume? Come on.

valpotx

The positive is that Vanderbilt appears to be graduating 3 people.  Do they already have those filled, will anyone else leave their program with Bryce being introduced?  I truly hope that Peters and the rest of the team stays.  What is his major?  If he is an Engineering guy, he is gone to Vandy lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Bryce has a sister.  Keep it in the Drew family.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on April 04, 2016, 11:20:42 AM
The positive is that Vanderbilt appears to be graduating 3 people.  Do they already have those filled, will anyone else leave their program with Bryce being introduced?  I truly hope that Peters and the rest of the team stays.  What is his major? If he is an Engineering guy, he is gone to Vandy lol.

Pretty sure its sports management.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015