• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2016-17

Started by VULB#62, April 05, 2016, 08:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

Quote from: vu72 on November 08, 2016, 01:59:09 PM
I still wonder why Todd says "...this is Todd Ickow"  instead of "I'm Todd Ickow"  It isn't like this is being broadcast on the radio.  Just bugs me I guess!!  :crazy:

I'm going to say he does this by force of habit.

vu72

Quote from: bsmith21 on November 12, 2016, 10:50:24 AM
In his first game coaching vanderbilt BD led the commadores to a 24 point loss

And, they had a one point lead at half.  That, my friends, is the definition of collapse.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 13, 2016, 07:35:37 PMNKU improved? http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/11/13/illinois-outlasts-northern-kentucky-in-79-64-battle/93781158/

They recruited well.

Article states their tallest player was 6'7.  I hope we throw our 7 footer and 6'11 at them.  We should dominate the post with our size but those two bigs haven't received many minutes in the first two games.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Other than Malcolm Hill I think Peters and Adekoya are better than the other supporting Illini players. And I'm not sure Peters wouldn't out rank Hill. Peters is more of a team player.

wh

Just remembered this out of the blue:

Just before the season started, I reminded Shane that last year at the same time I asked him if we were going to win 30 games, and he responded "Absolutely!"  Since that came true, I asked if he would make the same assurance this year. He said, "Rather than wins I WILL promise that we ARE going to win at least 1 game in the NCAA tournament."  I said, "I'll take it!" 🙂

VU2014

International veteran Jaume Sorolla developing as freshman for Valparaiso
Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune

Jaume Sorolla had never played in an environment like Rupp Arena.

A venue that big? Yes.

That packed? No.

Then again, Sorolla, who has represented his native Spain in international competitions at various youth levels, arrived at Valparaiso without preconceived notions.

The freshman center diligently studies the scouting reports. But he doesn't differentiate much among playing at Kentucky or Oregon or Missouri State, or even against Trinity Christian at the Athletics-Recreation Center.

"Every team has big guys, strong guys," Sorolla said.

The speed of the game has been a significant adjustment.

"Faster, yes," Sorolla said. "They fly here. In Europe, we have big guys — Lithuania, Serbia — but they are slow. Here, No. 3 of Kentucky (Bam Adebayo) — taller, yes, faster, no."

Sorolla, 6-foot-11 and 240 pounds, hasn't been intimidated, aided by his international experience.

Over the summer, he helped Spain win the gold medal at the U20 European Championship. In seven games last July in Helsinki, he averaged 4.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in 17.4 minutes.

"It's a big honor. We don't have the biggest team, the strongest team, but we have power inside," said Sorolla, pointing to his chest.

Sorolla averaged 7.3 points and 4.6 rebounds for Spain's fourth-place team at the 2014 U17 World Championship. He also competed at the 2014 U18 and 2013 U16 European Championships.

Senior forward Alec Peters believes Sorolla's background is evident.

"He's been really composed for a freshman," Peters said. "He's played on a larger scale than what he's playing here, more nerve-racking than playing college basketball.

"He's done everything we've asked of him and even more. He's not really asked to score a whole lot, but he's still using those opportunities where he gets offensive rebounds or gets that deep spot in the post to turn and score over people. He's altering shots on the defensive end, he's rebounding. He's doing what we need in the role he's asked to play."

That role has expanded the last two weeks.

He had eight points and nine rebounds in just 14 minutes at Kentucky.

Then, with senior Jubril Adekoya held out, Sorolla has started the last two games for the Crusaders (9-2), who play Santa Clara (5-7) on Thursday night. He played 28 minutes at Missouri State, including the entire second half. He had eight points, matching his best output, and a career-high 12 rebounds against Indiana State.

"My mentality this year is to be prepared for every second and every minute they need me to play," Sorolla said.

Sorolla, who played at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, Kan., appears to be just scratching the surface of his ability.

He's been displaying a nifty repertoire of post moves and getting quality shots, even if he's not always finishing. He comprehends English fully, though he claims — debatably — he doesn't speak it very well.

Peters recognizes Sorolla's potential.

"You know you're going to get great effort from Jay, he's going to rebound, he's going to screen," Peters said. "Even though he may not understand a lot yet, he's still growing with his footwork under the basket. You know he's going to go after the ball and he's going to be an aggressive defender. He wants to learn, he works at it every day and you're starting to see it."

Coach Matt Lottich likes Sorolla's progress.

"I need him to continue to be what he is, and that's a great rebounder and a great defensive player," Lottich said. "He'll continue to make strides on the offensive end because of the work he puts in."

mosipoff@post-trib.com

Twitter @MichaelOsipoff

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-jaume-sorolla-st-1222-20161221-story.html

Valpo Joe

Jay  :) "Ahh, ya doesn't has to call me Johnson! You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ... but ya doesn't hafta call me Johnson."

M

If I read Osipoff's article right the team will be without Sorolla against Chicago State as he travels home to be with family.

wh

Quote from: M on December 23, 2016, 08:18:48 PM
If I read Osipoff's article right the team will be without Sorolla against Chicago State as he travels home to be with family.

Hopefully, that means Jubril is back. Otherwise, far too many minutes will be played by guys who either are not D-1 ready or who have more deficiencies than assets. I can't imagine anyone taking any opponent that lightly - even Chicago State.

wh

Quote from: wh on December 23, 2016, 09:01:26 PM
Quote from: M on December 23, 2016, 08:18:48 PM

Hopefully, that means Jubril is back. Otherwise, far too many minutes will be played by guys who either are not D-1 ready or who have more deficiencies than assets. I can't imagine anyone taking any opponent that lightly - even Chicago State.

Just read Osipoff's tweet. Sorolla isn't just going home for Christmas per se, his Dad is also sick. Obviously, that puts a different light on things.

M.  It might have been helpful to know that "minor" little detail - BEFORE I posted.  ;)

M

To be fair, I didn't say he was going home for Christmas but to be with family.

wh

Quote from: M on December 23, 2016, 10:50:31 PM
To be fair, I didn't say he was going home for Christmas but to be with family.

You're right. :)

VUBBFan

Looks like we'll be really short-handed for Chicago State without Jubril and Jay. If the situation with Jubril requires facing the honor council, ( unless he has already ) it's going to be awhile before that can happen, since the Campus is closed down until Jan 11th. So that means at least four more games missed before a hearing could be held and then maybe a couple more games before a decision is made. All speculation on my part and somewhat pessimistic. I hope I'm wrong and he's serving out his "Sentence" now and will return soon because we need him. I know we should respect an individual's privacy, but not hearing any explanation from the coaching staff just leads to frustration for the fans.

M

I would bet that if he has to meet the council that it has already happened and he is serving his sentence. I'd think they would speed his case along and since we knew about it well before break I would think he's already been there.

FWalum

Was  surprised when in the last Valpo basketball preview video Matt mentioned that Derrik has been battling injuries. Thought he played halfway decent against Santa Clara  but then didn't get back in the game later. Hopefully he's able to play extended minutes if both Jay and Jubril are unavailable. He needs the time on the court.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vufan75

Per our beloved Chef in a tweet late NYE or early this morning.
@ValpoBasketball played 38 games in 2016 and won 31 of them. That's the most wins during a calendar year in school history.

a3uge

Quote from: bsmith21 on January 05, 2017, 12:44:07 PM
Lunardi has Oakland as a 13 and us not in.

Other interesting
9 teams from a bad big ten
38 from power 6
Butler 3
IU 9
RI Playin-11 (last 4 in) (only tournament win)
Oregon-4
Kentucky-2
Purdue-6
ND-5
He just goes by win loss record for auto-bids. It still makes no sense.

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on January 05, 2017, 12:55:49 PM

It suggests laziness - that makes sense.

VU2014

bbtds

VU2014

haha wow ESPN having some tech issues. That twitter picture is spreading around twitter right now haha.

StlVUFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 05, 2017, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: a3uge on January 05, 2017, 12:55:49 PM

It suggests laziness - that makes sense.
What makes no sense is that in 2017 people still expect Joe Lunardi to make sense.

What have I been trying to tell you all these years? :banghead: