• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2016-17

Started by VULB#62, April 05, 2016, 08:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Stop trying to make PG Hammink happen. It's not going to happen.

Its hard to predict lineups at this point because the roster isn't even set. If I had to guess, I think the starting lineup probably looks like:

G Lexus
G Tevonn
G Hammink
F Peters
F Jubril

Smits will get a bunch of minutes at the 5 when Valpo goes big... probably moving Jubril to PF, Peters to SF, Micah to SG or PG. Bradford may not start at the beginning, but he'll get a ton of minutes, probably more than Lexus.

Sorrola should get a few minutes at the 4 and 5.

Joseph might be left out as the 3rd PG. He needs confidence and his defense is a liability.

Mop up:
C ChaLivSim
PG/SG Davidson
?? New Guy

VULB#62

I'm thinking Matt will deveop depth at PG with true PGs. Betting they work on Max alot in the offseason. Micah is heir apparent -- he will get lots of PT too.  Also think Matt will minimize any disruption in rhythm/style that a point fwd introduces.

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on June 16, 2016, 06:22:49 PM
FW alum:  did you notice that in his wrap-up of the IN All-Star series last weekend, Davis only mentioned 2 players that were associated with their college choices for 16-17?  One guy and one gal...with both going to Butler this fall.
Yes, it is pretty much Butler Central here in Fort Wayne. Lots of column inches dedicated to the Bulldogs and their recruits in the last couple of weeks. I will give Tom some credit for this really good Butler story about the special needs basketball camp that Butler runs.  http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/Butler-hoop-camp-proves--enlightening----for-the-coaches
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

M

Maybe not, but he is the guy with the most experience. I fully expect Bradford to be running the show by the time conference ay begins if not before, ya know assuming the NCAA continues their hose job of KC.

vu72

I would be surprised if Derrik isn't starting.  My guess is that Bradford starts at the point unless Lexus has dramatically improved.  So I would think the starting five will be Alec, Derrik, Tevonn, Shane and Micah.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on June 17, 2016, 07:56:32 AM
I would be surprised if Derrik isn't starting.  My guess is that Bradford starts at the point unless Lexus has dramatically improved.  So I would think the starting five will be Alec, Derrik, Tevonn, Shane and Micah/Keith(?).

Me too.  At 7'1", 250# just standing-flat footed in the paint with his arms up is a pretty big deterrent.  Especially against shorter centers, it would be hard to stop the high lob into the post at the other end as well. And being an optimist, I'd hedge a bet and adjust your PG slot just a tad (above).   ;)

Jubril will be the 1st off the bench and rotate between the 4 and 5 (Alec being the 3 based on all we've heard since his return from the pro try-outs and will probably be in the 34-36 minute range). Jubril's minutes will increase significantly over last season.  Lexus makes a comeback and rotates in at the point.

Don't you think Matt will go back to a 7 man core rotation from the 9 man core last season?  There just doesn't seem to be that need to spread the minutes to keep everyone happy that was a perception (at least by me) last season. Sorolla will be brought along gradually and his minutes will increase the deeper we get into the season.  And Max, Nick and Chandler will get their usual quota of minutes.

78crusader

To me the main question about Smits is not whether he will start -- even if he doesn't, he'll get plenty of minutes -- but whether he stays healthy.  Seems to be injury prone.

Paul

a3uge

I think Smits will start off the bench. Jubril has earned his time and is a senior. Smits may end up getting more minutes, but I feel Jubril will start until conference starts. Smits is still a freshman that will be a bit of a project at first.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on June 16, 2016, 10:42:17 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on June 16, 2016, 10:24:46 PMHammink is not the guy to be at PG.

Shane playing 5 to 9 minutes per game at point doesn't put me in a panic but if it gets nearer 20 I might have to double my blood pressure meds.

Both of you make a "just" point. :-)

Couldn't resist!

a3uge

Hasn't been mentioned here yet, but St Louis is the last team added in the Las Vegas tournament. This creates a really interesting scenario if Carter comes back. The field should be pretty decent with BYU and Alabama. Minnesota was also rumored to participate, but I don't think that's the case anymore (thank god, they'd be an RPI killer).

VULB#62

Good point on Minnesota.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on June 18, 2016, 09:45:31 AM
Hasn't been mentioned here yet, but St Louis Saint Louis is the last team added in the Las Vegas tournament. This creates a really interesting scenario if Carter comes back. The field should be pretty decent with BYU and Alabama. Minnesota was also rumored to participate, but I don't think that's the case anymore (thank god, they'd be an RPI killer).

Isn't actually the same without Jim Crews and most of the team (except for one player, I believe) being there.

It would be like Valpo playing Ole Miss again without Bryce as coach and none of the former players (from '98) being involved with the team.

frontrowfan

Does anyone know the dates of the Las Vegas Classics

VULB#62

Paul was at the ARC today. Here's some intelligence on our guard situation for this coming season.  I like what he said about Lexus -- that kid deserves some good breaks.. 

[tweet]745071866092544000[/tweet]

VULB#62

Keith and OU's Felder each demonstrated how important a good PG is to a team's offense.  Keith from a management perspective and Felder from a penetrate and create offense perspective. Micah and Lexus (fingers crossed based on one Summer observation) look like they can be the depth we need to be solid at that position whether or not Keith is vindicated.

Agree?  Disagree?

Ah, but can they run Matt's new offense?  I say yes, based only on what I see on social media -- he's got the players' attention and involvement. His teams will be involved, intense and emotional. This is gonna be a fun ride in 16-17.

Of course you must take these comments in the context of a rah rah FB guy who only knows basketball from playing it through HS -- Lutheran HS AA yet not good enough at 18 pts /game to get a look from Paul Meadows (Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.  :'( ). AndI must also mention that I was a fraternity brother of most of the 1966 and 67 teams (except Tom Smith) that blew teams off the floor, and I once stuffed HOFer Vern Curtis in a pick up game (by holding his shorts)  :rotfl:  Vern BTW was the poster boy of the natural scorer. He had, maybe on a good day, a 12" vertical leap, but could score on anybody any time  (except if they were holding onto his shorts). Of course all my bono fides are meaningless, but I had fun stating them. Jeez, I loved my 4 years there.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 21, 2016, 12:46:51 AM
Keith and OU's Felder each demonstrated how important a good PG is to a team's offense.  Keith from a management perspective and Felder from a penetrate and create offense perspective. Micah and Lexus (fingers crossed based on one Summer observation) look like they can be the depth we need to be solid at that position whether or not Keith is vindicated.

Agree?  Disagree?

Ah, but can they run Matt's new offense?  I say yes, based only on what I see on social media -- he's got the players' attention and involvement. His teams will be involved, intense and emotional. This is gonna be a fun ride in 16-17.

Of course you must take these comments in the context of a rah rah FB guy who only knows basketball from playing it through HS -- Lutheran HS AA yet not good enough at 18 pts /game to get a look from Paul Meadows (Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.  :'( ). AndI must also mention that I was a fraternity brother of most of the 1966 and 67 teams (except Tom Smith) that blew teams off the floor, and I once stuffed HOFer Vern Curtis in a pick up game (by holding his shorts)  :rotfl:  Vern BTW was the poster boy of the natural scorer. He had, maybe on a good day, a 12" vertical leap, but could score on anybody any time  (except if they were holding onto his shorts). Of course all my bono fides are meaningless, but I had fun stating them. Jeez, I loved my 4 years there.

Funny stuff!  Actually though, Paul Meadows didn't do a very good job.  His last two years the team went 7-16 and 9-15.  It was Gene Bartow, starting in 64-65 that those guys stared on.  The 65-66 team is the high flying team that beat Purdue and the 65-66 team that finished 21-8 and went to the NCAA Quarter Finals.  Love the holding the short trick!   :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

So Paul, is Micah faster than Buggs was?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

A scheduling note I ran across today for next season 2016-17.

Check out @Catch_N_Shoot's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Catch_N_Shoot/status/745672487204233216?s=09

For those not on twitter,  the Tweet says Valpo at Missouri State December 10th.

valpotx

I like it when we play Missouri State.  We have recent success against them, and they are generally a mid-tier mid-major.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Good! Bradley on the 14'th of Dec. That would be a Wed. Alec finally gets to appear near his hometown fans. Took much too long to achieve!

Also we get to visit our old buddy Brian Wardle. I might make the trip.  :thumbsup:

oklahomamick

Quote from: justducky on June 22, 2016, 10:47:03 PMGood! Bradley on the 14'th of Dec. That would be a Wed. Alec finally gets to appear near his hometown fans. Took much too long to achieve! Also we get to visit our old buddy Brian Wardle. I might make the trip.  :thumbsup:

Absolutely, and I love playing mvc teams.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on June 22, 2016, 10:47:03 PM
Good! Bradley on the 14'th of Dec. That would be a Wed. Alec finally gets to appear near his hometown fans. Took much too long to achieve!

Also we get to visit our old buddy Brian Wardle. I might make the trip.  :thumbsup:

I hope VU plays well in Peoria! The proverbial question.

crusadermoe

Dec. 10     Missouri State ?

or......is the other multi-game post for '16-17 correct in saying Dec. 10 is AT OAKLAND.

Pgmado

I think you read it wrong. I don't believe Valpo is playing at Bradley this season.

justducky

Quote from: Pgmado on June 23, 2016, 04:58:59 PMI think you read it wrong. I don't believe Valpo is playing at Bradley this season.
Well if we aren't we should be. Last I checked Alec is a senior so at Bradley and or at Illinois St should be top priority OOC scheduling goals. This should be doable so they need to get-et-done. Funny how the human mind functions. I have been expecting us to go to Bradley (for Alec) so that is what I saw. My mind ignored the pieces that didn't fit. Maybe I should go back to a quart of whisky per day to keep my head on straight?  :o