• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU 2016-17 Schedule

Started by justducky, April 08, 2016, 03:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

I want to kick this off before most of you disappear for the next 6 months. This and recruiting are typically our biggest off season topics of discussion.

By my memory we will be hosting Indiana St, Chicago St, Ball St, and Rhode Island while we travel to Missouri St and IPFW. At this point I believe we will remain a top 80 program with slim but not unrealistic at large type potential. Once again we will need to compile an at large quality list of opponents.

It looks to me that inclusion in the right exempt tournaments is the key to our OOC SOS. I would think being an excluded bubble team with NIT success might crack open a few doors that had previously been manned by armed guards.

VUOR63

We can go out and schedule Stanford (and then Cal and Saint Mary's while we're out in California), Baylor (and hit up Texas Southern while we're down there) and Vanderbilt (and Austin Peay while we're there).  That should boost our RPI a little bit.

Valpo89

Exempt tournaments would be great. A trip to Hawaii for three games would be awesome.

Valpo didn't do itself any favors by winning home games against Florida State and Saint Mary's in the NIT. Now Power-5 schools have evidence of why they won't play in the ARC.

a3uge

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 08, 2016, 04:21:38 PM
Exempt tournaments would be great. A trip to Hawaii for three games would be awesome.

Valpo didn't do itself any favors by winning home games against Florida State and Saint Mary's in the NIT. Now Power-5 schools have evidence of why they won't play in the ARC.
They won't play in the ARC anyways - we could have lost by 60 and they still wouldn't have come.

talksalot

I still think Baylor should play Vanderbilt on Homer Drew Court... and we could schedule a second game of that as a double-header with St. Mary's to ensure a sell out.

motowntitan

Wait a second, you were in the NIT Championship game and don't get invited to next year's preseason NIT??  >:(

agibson

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 08, 2016, 05:46:29 PM
http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2015/11/30/9810744/2016-17-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE-neutral-site

Scroll about 1/4 down the page.  I think everyone will like what they see.   :)

If it's for real, it'd be a good start!

Last year:
http://mgm.bdglobalsports.com/

So, potentially a four team bracket with BYU, Alabama, and Minnesota - including a consolation game. Don't know how they look next year. And, maybe it's not quite at-large material. But, I'd look forward to a crack at two of the three: decent SEC? quality WCC? not-so-good B1G?  I suppose, resumee wise, this doesn't come close to @Oregon and @Oregon State. But, I'll admit I love the idea of P5 teams, even if they're only decent teams, on a neutral court.

Is it a third (and fourth?) game against teams, probably at the ARC, from the middle-weight division? I only glanced at it.

VULB#62

Odd note: Paradise Jam (St. Thomas, USVI) lists Loyola of Chicago Rams representing the Horizon League

zvillehaze

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 08, 2016, 05:46:29 PM
http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2015/11/30/9810744/2016-17-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE-neutral-site

Scroll about 1/4 down the page.  I think everyone will like what they see.   :)

For anyone wanting to extend their stay, Vandy will be playing in Vegas on the 24th and 25th.

M

We are planning on traveling to Vegas for the games.  Should be a lot of fun  :thumbsup:

a3uge

Quote from: bsmith21 on April 08, 2016, 09:03:20 PM
Man you guys got me excited for a second. That's at best 2 okay games. I'm not entirely sure what everyone thinks has changed for us. We had a decent run in the NIT and should be pretty good next year. Playing us is still a no win scenario for most major programs. I'm not sure what part of the equation people think has so drastically changed one way or another. I think a lot of people are overestimating the value and affect of getting runner up in the NIT.

The fact it's in Vegas is awesome. Couple that with neutral court games against BYU and/or Alabama - that's two top 100 games on a neutral floor. That doesn't even include other decent mid majors who might also be in the field. I don't know if the NIT had anything to do with it, but it really doesn't matter.

M

I believe this field was set back in the fall. It was just released recently.

talksalot

Heavyweight Bracket (Hosts)
Alabama Crimson Tide (SEC) (BD Global Sports on YouTube)
BYU Cougars (WCC)
Minnesota Golden Gophers (Big Ten)
Valparaiso Crusaders (Horizon)

... the family of our former coach will have decisions... not only is Vandy in Vegas... Baylor is at the Virgin Island Classic ... on the same days...

But Who Cares???

justducky

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 08, 2016, 08:34:39 PMFor anyone wanting to extend their stay, Vandy will be playing in Vegas on the 24th and 25th.
I would probably be broke long before our second game rolled around so an extended stay likely isn't in the cards.

Wait! Maybe we can get Todd to teach us some basic Vegas survival tips.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: bsmith21 on April 08, 2016, 09:03:20 PM
Man you guys got me excited for a second. That's at best 2 okay games. I'm not entirely sure what everyone thinks has changed for us. We had a decent run in the NIT and should be pretty good next year. Playing us is still a no win scenario for most major programs. I'm not sure what part of the equation people think has so drastically changed one way or another. I think a lot of people are overestimating the value and affect of getting runner up in the NIT.
Subtle change is better than no change. Oregon gave us a game and still were a #1 seed. Oregon St lost a home game to us and still got in as a #7. Maybe ND or Purdue or Butler will figure out that losing to the 2016 NIT runner up might not be a guaranteed prescription for disaster and might provide them with OOC SOS and RPI boosts? Small steps. Maybe another A-10 program inquires about a home and home? Small steps. Maybe Illinois St. forgives us for stealing Alec and agrees we can bring him over for the benefit of Washington Ill area fans? Small steps. Small scheduling improvements. You have to start somewhere.

valpotx

Seems like a chance to rack up some more P5 wins.  I don't care who it is against, but we need more wins against schools that people have heard of, even if they aren't basketball schools.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

I would like one buy game.  Would be nice to get one pay day.  Oakland does it all the time and we bash it.  I bash it.  But one pay day would be good.  I don't think this was answered when I last asked, but did Oregon pay us?
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 09, 2016, 07:13:42 AMI would like one buy game.  Would be nice to get one pay day.
If we can find them, 2 buy games might be better. The untouchable status we held in 15-16 shouldn't be quite as bad now. We do not need the complete top 50 making inquiries, just having a couple of them returning our phone calls would be a good start. I am not expecting the floodgates to suddenly open but a simple buy game or 2 might now be almost doable.

That Scott Drew guy that has been ducking us for years no longer has an excuse.  :o

ValpoDad89

No matter what, games against these schools boost RPI as they play tough teams through January and February and give us a reason to root for some p5 schools we normally wouldn't root for, especially if we win those games. It also gives us some TV exposure which is always good as thes tourneys are televised nationally somewhere. And lastly, it gives current kids excitement going to someplace warm or exotic to play and helps recruiting as well.

VULB#62

Oakland has set their OOC schedule already.  Away at Michigan State.  Georgia on the Blacktop.  The rest of the schedule is pretty much mid-majors plus a preseason tournament.  Kampe has indeed backed off from the 8 killer body bag games of the past.

[tweet]730151854689128452[/tweet] 

As for us:  We know URI will be at the ARC.  We also know we are playing at the Las Vegas tournament.  Indiana State is on the schedule for a home game, right?? Anybody know of any others right now?

crusadermoe

Body bags.    Love it.     I do agree wtih the desire to beat some P5 teams who people know at a glance.  Let's seek out some ACC games and take a pay day.     

valpopal

In case this hasn't been mentioned: Valpo will play Alabama in their opening game of the Las Vegas tournament on 11/21. BYU plays St. Louis in the other "heavyweight bracket" opening game. Results determine the second game match-ups on 11/23.

VULB#62

Cool!  Bama was 18-15 last season and lost in the first round of the NIT to Creighton.

Notable OOC Losses:  Dayton (by 32-away), Xavier (by 19-neutral), Oregon (by 4 at home)

Notable OOC Wins:  Wichita State (by 4-neutral), Notre dame (by 1-neutral), Clemson (by 1-away)

justducky

Quote from: justducky on April 08, 2016, 03:48:31 PMBy my memory we will be hosting Indiana St, Chicago St, Ball St, and Rhode Island while we travel to Missouri St and IPFW.
Add in Kentucky and that puts us at 7 games.
Quote from: valpopal on July 27, 2016, 06:47:43 PMIn case this hasn't been mentioned: Valpo will play Alabama in their opening game of the Las Vegas tournament on 11/21. BYU plays St. Louis in the other "heavyweight bracket" opening game. Results determine the second game match-ups on 11/23.
That puts us at 18 HL plus 9 OOC for 27 total. Looks like we still have a couple openings. Did I forget any? Do we have any hot rumors?

zvillehaze

Quote from: justducky on July 29, 2016, 08:37:53 PM
Quote from: valpopal on July 27, 2016, 06:47:43 PMIn case this hasn't been mentioned: Valpo will play Alabama in their opening game of the Las Vegas tournament on 11/21. BYU plays St. Louis in the other "heavyweight bracket" opening game. Results determine the second game match-ups on 11/23.
That puts us at 18 HL plus 9 OOC for 27 total. Looks like we still have a couple openings. Did I forget any? Do we have any hot rumors?

I expect Valpo to play two home games that are part of the Las Vegas tourney.  Alabama hosts Ball State and Coastal Carolina as part of the Vegas event.