• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters - Senior edition

Started by wh, August 23, 2016, 06:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

His shooting form is not as smooth as Tex mentioned.  Could be that he's playing more minutes or he feels more pressure to perform.  I know he has been sick for the last couple games, but one difference besides the shooting form is his emotion.  Last year he seemed more vocal and looked like he had more fun.   
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on November 27, 2016, 10:22:11 PM
Anyone else think that the extra muscle that Peters put on this past summer is influencing his long-range shooting?  It doesn't look as fluid as it was the last 3 seasons, almost like he is still adjusting to being more tight in his upper body.  I am sure that he will figure it out, but it just doesn't look the same, regardless of whether he makes them or not.  His FG% is down because he is working on fade-away shots and his mid-range game, per the NBA scout recommendations, so I don't really have a worry on that side.  He is just starting to shoot those types of shots in live action games, so it will get better as the season progresses.

I don't think its the muscle. Over the summer and in the fall practices everyone was marveling at his uncanny accuracy. 

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 28, 2016, 10:11:38 AM
His shooting form is not as smooth as Tex mentioned.  Could be that he's playing more minutes or he feels more pressure to perform.  I know he has been sick for the last couple games, but one difference besides the shooting form is his emotion.  Last year he seemed more vocal and looked like he had more fun.   

I tend to toward 1) internal pressure he is putting on himself so that he may be rushing his shot by maybe just a micro-second but enough to throw off the accuracy a bit, and 2) he's being mobbed in every game and has defenders on him all over the  court.  No body is going to sit back in a zone against us with his 3 pt threat.  I haven't checked the numbers, but it does seem like he's on the court much more than last year too.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on November 28, 2016, 09:46:21 AMMaybe tops in FTM?

Top 50 nationally in rebounding.

To update these after yesterday's game, and with a little sounder fact checking.

From ESPN.

Alec's currently 4th nationally in PPG at 25.1. (UIC's Dixson is at 25.2. Wright State's Alstork is at 22.9 good for 18th.)

Alec's 59th at 9.1 RPG (or we can cheat and take him to 23rd at overall rebounds, but many have played fewer games).

Alec's fallen to 30th at 93.5% FT's. And actually Alstork is ahead of him for FTM, Alec's second in the nation at 58 to Alstork's 61 (also in seven games). Dixson, currently 4th with 52 makes, should be right up there once he plays his 7th game.

As a team we're 9th in FT% at 81.0% (And 7th in FTM, 13th in FTA. We sit at 13th, tied with BYU, in FTM per game. Way down at T44 in FTA per game attempting 26.3 and making 21.3. Wright State's 7th at 30.1 but only makes 22.7.) It helps, of course, that Alec takes a third of ours. But as a team we've done very well, probably historically well so far?

We have a different thread for polls and such. But, let me slip in here that we were "Almost famous" for Seth Davis on this week's AP ballot. It seems sure that he'll vote for us if we beat Rhode Island. And I'm sure he's not the only one.

Rhode Island rises to #21 in the AP poll this week (the coaches' poll isn't out yet).

valpo64

We need to remember that Alec is playing a slightly different roll this year...much more inside play.  He has been fouled much more often so far this year.  In fact, of BSU's first 6 fouls in the 1st half last Sunday,  AP was the one getting fouled.  His Dad told me Alec is starting to adjust better and better to increased inside  play and is feeling stronger after his recent illness.  His Dad felt he is not yet at 100 %.  I'm sure his outside shot will come around anytime now.  When that happens,  look out!

Kyle321n

I know a lot of us are concerned about Alec's 3 point shooting woes. I am, I know that. I decided to take a 5 game rolling average of his 3 point shooting. After the Oregon game, Alec hit his career low since January of 2014. In fact he hasn't been below 30% for a 5 game stretch since his freshman year.

Here's a graph for you all to take a gander at.

Now back in January of 2014 it was widely believed that Alec was starting to tire a little from the riggers of a freshman season where he was playing 25-30 minutes a game. We also saw teams starting to focus on him and LeVonte Dority stepped up and carried the load for a few games.

I don't want to try to jump into Alec's mind or be an arm chair psychologist. There's been a few threes that have been the in and out type, and really we could see the 3 point line jump up to 50% for the next 10 games. I know we need Alec to shoot hit usual 50-40-85 if we're want to have a chance to advance in the NCAAs.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpo64

Patience, gentlemen, patience...we know that sooner or later he will snap out of it, maybe tonight.

swiftmutiny

A nice profile from the Horizon League about Peters off the court:

https://vimeo.com/193388099

VULB#62

Outstanding!  Made me feel good just watching and listening.

vu72

Another good article.  I guess Alec isn't going to surprise Kentucky!  He is going to get doubled or tripled.  Somebody has to force the issue by hitting some shots to force them back to a man-on-man defense. 

I also love the "rural Indiana" description of Valpo.  Wants you want to go out behind Wehrenberg and milk a cow!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on December 06, 2016, 06:31:03 PM
Another good article.  I guess Alec isn't going to surprise Kentucky!  He is going to get doubled or tripled.  Somebody has to force the issue by hitting some shots to force them back to a man-on-man defense. 

I also love the "rural Indiana" description of Valpo.  Wants you want to go out behind Wehrenberg and milk a cow!!

Funny thing is that you are more likely to milk a cow on the Michigan State, Purdue and Illinois campuses

MICHIGAN STATE

PURDUE

U of ILLINOIS

wh

Presumably, everyone knows by now that AP was named HL POW for the 2nd consecutive week, but I don't see it documented. So, for the record...

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/horizon-league-mens-basketball-player-of-the-week-dec-5

talksalot

Through Missouri State, AP with 1,935 points.

He started the season with 1,682.  Having scored 253 points in 10 games... he needs 207 in the next twenty games to tie Mr. Drew at 2,142.

He needs 65 for the 2K mark... at 23 ppg, he's on target to do that against Chicago State.
==========================================================
Through Missouri State, AP with 796 rebounds
He started the season with 702, having picked up 92 in 10 games, he passed Oppland the other day to move into 4th place.
He needs 114 to tie Chris Ensminger for the school record.     Raitis Grafs and some guy named Broeckhoff are tied with 841 in the #2 slot.
Through Missouri State, AP had played in 114 games at VU (started all of them)
We have a minimum of 21 games left (including 1 game in the HL tournament)
Broeckhoff is 2nd in team history with 134 games played.   Eric Buggs played in 138.... so AP Game #135 is game one in HL; Game #136 is game 2 in HL and Game #137 would be the HL championship game.   #138>?

valpo64

Alec is a real pleasure to watch play.  And he is a class act, both on and off the court, including the classroom.  I love to see him take charge and takeover a game like he did last night.  It looks like he is back!  Come to th;ink of it, was he ever gone?  With numbers like +25ppg and +9 rpg it's hard to believe he was "gone".

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on December 11, 2016, 01:15:40 PM
Alec is a real pleasure to watch play.  And he is a class act, both on and off the court, including the classroom.  I love to see him take charge and takeover a game like he did last night.  It looks like he is back!  Come to th;ink of it, was he ever gone?  With numbers like +25ppg and +9 rpg it's hard to believe he was "gone".

I think you hit the nail on the head.  "Take over a game" is exactly what Bryce could do and I don't remember another who could do it, at least when it come to leading a team to victory, not just scoring points.  I guess Brandon Wood would fall into this category but the teams he played on didn't necessarily win.  Alec is the real deal and in my mind the best to ever lace them up for Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on December 11, 2016, 01:30:13 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head.  "Take over a game" is exactly what Bryce could do and I don't remember another who could do it, at least when it come to leading a team to victory, not just scoring points.  I guess Brandon Wood would fall into this category but the teams he played on didn't necessarily win.  Alec is the real deal and in my mind the best to ever lace them up for Valpo.

Good call on Wood.  He was explosive ... I remember him dropping 30 at UNC.  I think he is underappreciated because he chose to leave Valpo for MSU.  Still don't understand why he didn't get a shot in the NBA when guys like McCallum, Mack, Cole and Felder did.

Smj

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 11, 2016, 03:08:15 PM

Good call on Wood.  He was explosive ... I remember him dropping 30 at UNC.  I think he is underappreciated because he chose to leave Valpo for MSU.  Still don't understand why he didn't get a shot in the NBA when guys like McCallum, Mack, Cole and Felder did.
I actually think his decision to leave valpo hurt him in getting to the nba....   He was going to need to be a star at msu to make the nba.   Would have looked better to have amazing numbers and be a leader at valpo his senior year.   Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

a3uge

Quote from: Smj on December 11, 2016, 06:33:48 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on December 11, 2016, 03:08:15 PM

I actually think his decision to leave valpo hurt him in getting to the nba....   He was going to need to be a star at msu to make the nba.   Would have looked better to have amazing numbers and be a leader at valpo his senior year.   Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
He was kind of old too since he was a transfer and a 5th year senior at Michigan State. Not sure if his only chance was to tear it up at Valpo or tear it up at Michigan State. Nonetheless, decreasing his minutes and shots didn't help him in the long run.

He did take over games though. Of course Broekhoff did occasionally too.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on December 11, 2016, 12:28:36 PMThrough Missouri State, AP with 1,935 points.

He started the season with 1,682.  Having scored 253 points in 10 games... he needs 207 in the next twenty games to tie Mr. Drew at 2,142.

He needs 65 for the 2K mark... at 23 ppg, he's on target to do that against Chicago State.
Through Missouri State, AP with 796 rebounds
He started the season with 702, having picked up 92 in 10 games, he passed Oppland the other day to move into 4th place.
He needs 114 to tie Chris Ensminger for the school record.     Raitis Grafs and some guy named Broeckhoff are tied with 841 in the #2 slot.

Where are we, 22 more games guaranteed? And we hope for 26 or more?

1935 points so far, at 25.3 PPG he'd be at 2492 or 2593.

For rebounds, ESPN actually has him starting the season at 704, so with 796 now. At 9.2 RPG he'd be at 998 or 1035.

So, school records are likely. In the Horizon League, he's not so likely to take the top spot from Loyola's Alfredrick Hughes, 2914 points from 1981-1985, but he might manage third or even second all-time.

Did I hear that Alec's second in Division 1, overall, among active players for career scoring?

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on December 12, 2016, 10:25:50 AM
Did I hear that Alec's second in Division 1, overall, among active players for career scoring?

Yep. Since 2014 Alec is the 4th highest scorer in all of college basketball. Damon Lynn of NJIT is 27 points ahead of Alec.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on December 12, 2016, 11:26:25 AM
Quote from: agibson on December 12, 2016, 10:25:50 AM

Yep. Since 2014 Alec is the 4th highest scorer in all of college basketball. Damon Lynn of NJIT is 27 points ahead of Alec.

Fun stuff.

And Alec's got 3.3 senior PPG on him, having taken a bigger step in his senior year. Just based on that, Alec would be on schedule to pass him in mid-January. But, Alec's actually got a game in hand! Lynn's already played 11!

But there is some other competition.

Looking back a decade or so.. McDermott scored 3150! Only two players in that time period have cracked 3,000. But Alec's got a shot at finishing in the top 20.

vufan75

agibson

Quote from: vufan75 on December 12, 2016, 09:24:58 PMGreat read on Alec Peters current draft status. Moving on up!! Keep it going AP!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-players-boosted-draft-stock-170128030.html

QuoteIn a draft that is about as weak as we can recall among NCAA seniors, Peters has a great chance to be the first four-year collegiate player off the board.

Fascinating. And, indeed, glancing at one Mock Draft the first round is dominated by freshmen. I see only two seniors: from Clemson and Notre Dame. That particular Mock Draft projects four ahead of Alec in the second round, including Oregon's Boucher.