• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Interesting story about the Southern Utah Championship game.  Expounding on that a little bit, Homer had a punishment, or should I say consequence, for any team or staff member that was caught swearing.  When we later went into the locker room he apologized for his indiscretion and said that he would be punishing himself for his innapropriate behavior.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on November 10, 2016, 09:48:38 AM
Interesting story about the Southern Utah Championship game.  Expounding on that a little bit, Homer had a punishment, or should I say consequence, for any team or staff member that was caught swearing.  When we later went into the locker room he apologized for his indiscretion and said that he would be punishing himself for his innapropriate behavior.

A little bit of Martin Luther in Homer, huh?

ValpoFan

agibson

Quote from: ValpoFan on November 14, 2016, 05:57:31 PM
Episode 3?

The Max Joseph episode!

[tweet]798196325971992576[/tweet]

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 22, 2016, 01:57:36 PM
episode 4?

Paul's in Vegas. He's probably got more "important" things to do than do the podcast.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

talksalot

and if he waits until next Monday... he can talk all about the Ball State game and preview the URI game without having to worry about little things like beating a power5 team and the BYU Rematch!    Power to the Smorgasbord! 

Pgmado

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on November 27, 2016, 10:49:54 AM
Episode 4 is up. Had the chance to meet up with former Valpo player/coach Jake Diebler. Some great stories in here.

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_4a5a1aaa-b23d-11e6-8a17-63ff56be9d22.html

Great Jake Diebler interview!  Loved the the "broken nose" story. His nose is on the side of his face and his dad tells him to get back out there. Great stuff!

bbtds

Columbia River Gorge
(listen to the podcast to find out why I posted this pic.)

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on November 29, 2016, 02:03:28 PMColumbia River Gorge

You mean it's not the Washington River, after all?

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on November 29, 2016, 02:03:28 PM

Columbia River Gorge
Because Ricky Nolasco got lost looking for the Oregon River, and that is his car in the picture?

covufan

Special guest for 5b = winner, winner chicken dinner?

agibson

Quote from: covufan on November 29, 2016, 03:40:29 PM

Yeah, where do you go for fried chicken in Valpo? Adam does seem to have a fondness for KFC.

It does smell good from Eastgate, now and then...

There are the wings at Shoes, but wings != fried chicken.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 29, 2016, 10:42:15 PM
Quote from: covufan on November 29, 2016, 03:40:29 PM

Yeah, where do you go for fried chicken in Valpo? Adam does seem to have a fondness for KFC.

It does smell good from Eastgate, now and then...

There are the wings at Shoes, but wings != fried chicken.

Maybe volleyball player Sydney Bronner could bring some back with her next time she goes home to Frankenmuth.

covufan

talksalot

Chris Sparks?  The Rockford Rocket!

Vince Humphrey?

Other notables seen around the ARC recently?   Kevin Mackey?  Joey Meier?

oklahomamick

Big fan of the show! 

There was a question on episode 5b....
should the students storm the court?  Absolutely!  Great experience for the student fans and the crusader bball team. 

Were we expected to beat Rhode island at home? Vegas didn't think so but crusader fans expect it.  Even though we haven't beaten a ranked opponent in 18 years. 

How often do we host a ranked opponent?  There's a good chance that the fans who stormed the court and the basketball players themselves will not see another ranked team at the ARC for the rest of their time at Valpo. 

So what chances are there for the VU student/fan to storm the court and join their team?  The conference tournament semi or final?  No that's in Detroit now.  So the opportunity of having a big game at the ARC is small.  We had a good feeling we would beat ranked rhode islabd and we expected it.  But this might be the only chance in their VU career to rush the court.  Go for it.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

You could have named the 6th show for one of the Sixth Man Award winners.

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on November 30, 2016, 07:40:13 PMOther notables seen around the ARC recently?   Kevin Mackey?  Joey Meier?
And Mackey would be scouting for who?

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 07, 2016, 07:06:37 AM
But this might be the only chance in their VU career to rush the court.  Go for it.

Definitely a valid storming. And the stewards were clearly allowing it, roped off (slowly) the chair backs and handshake line, but not the student section.

I suppose you could storm the court for clinching a conference championship. But that's not always at home, and not always dramatic. (And now gets you only a single bye and a favorable matchup.)

I'm still disappointed they didn't cut down the nets after the NIT quarter finals!

covufan

Quote from: justducky on December 07, 2016, 09:51:06 AM
Quote from: talksalot on November 30, 2016, 07:40:13 PMOther notables seen around the ARC recently?   Kevin Mackey?  Joey Meier?
And Mackey would be scouting for who?
Gap dwelling?