• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2: Trinity Christian College (IL) Trolls @ The ARC - 11/12/16 @ 7:00PM

Started by govalpogo, November 12, 2016, 04:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

VU75

Now this is listed on the Trinity website as an exhibition game, but Valpo played their only allowed exhibition game against Hillsdale.  Sooo this is exhibition for Trinity but not for Valpo?  Are there actually any rules about what constitutes the designation "exhibition game"?

agibson

Quote from: VU75 on November 12, 2016, 04:42:15 PM
Now this is listed on the Trinity website as an exhibition game, but Valpo played their only allowed exhibition game against Hillsdale.  Sooo this is exhibition for Trinity but not for Valpo?  Are there actually any rules about what constitutes the designation "exhibition game"?

I think that each division has rules, but it's definitely possible for a game to be an exhibition for one team, but count in the standings for the other. We've seen this a number of times over the years against non-D1 opponents. Maybe in both directions.

M

AP continues to struggle on offense and continues to get torched on defense...Bradford looked last just now vs their zone...never seen so many missed shots so close to the hoop. Someone get Tom Brady over here to let some air out of the ball so it doesn't bounce as much.

wh

A late comeback to get within 9 to a D-2 (or is it 3) that I don't think has won a game yet. Bench points 24-0. 1-15 from 3. If Oregon plays a zone, we may not score. :)

M

Trinity is NAIA...good to see them doing what they should be doing this half!

govalpogo

I for one welcome these 3 opening games against lesser opponents.  Hopefully by Tuesday the group will have figured something out!   

VU2014

So I was only able to catch the last 10 minutes of the game, but was pretty surprise how close the game was. The offense still seems to be a work in progress. Just think out loud but I wonder how the offense would be flowing if Keith got his extra year of eligibility? The offense from what I've seen so far reminds me of the games last year when we didn't have Keith running the point. I know its early but just seems like the flow/ball movement isn't great yet. Lexus looks health and his defense is solid. Micah looks like he is going to be dynamic but he's still a freshman and running the point is still a lot to ask from any freshman.

I heard we were really flat in the first half. It happens when you know your clearly the more talented roster sometimes, still should have handled this team easier. We can't continue to play like this.

valpopal

During the national anthem, four players for Trinity Christian College raised their fists, and I immediately thought of Virginia Tech Coach Buzz Williams and his lesson to the players about respecting the national anthem, especially since this was Veterans Day weekend: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/basketball-coach-veterans-national-anthem_us_56e2eaece4b065e2e3d5b10d

VU2014

QuoteI immediately thought of Virginia Tech Coach Buzz Williams and his lesson to the players about respecting the national anthem, especially since this was Veterans Day weekend:

Incredibly powerful and moving.

WiscoCrusader

And how exactly is raising their fists disrespectful to the national anthem?  Have you lived a day in their shoes in America?

Besides, as a proud Valpo grad, I would think you would have obtained a better understanding of the distinction between Patriotism and Nationalism.  Maybe you didn't pay attention that day in Geiman's class.

For your reference:  https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-if-any-between-nationalism-and-patriotism

VU2014

Personally I don't think this is the forum to talk politics. Just PM someone if you'd like to talk about anything other then Valpo Basketball.

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on November 13, 2016, 02:25:05 PM
Personally I don't think this is the forum to talk politics. Just PM someone if you'd like to talk about anything other then Valpo Basketball.

Game threads always include commentary about preparation, atmosphere, band selections, crowd reactions, off-court behavior of players, half-time activities, and other issues that do not happen during play. Indeed, as an example, we all remember the many comments about graffiti that happened off-campus after the championship game with Detroit. Therefore, I assume this wasn't addressed to me for noting the act by the Trinity Christian players as they actually stood on the court—which prompted negative reactions among many seated in the section around me who thought the Troll a perfect mascot—especially since you previously commented that the link I posted was "incredibly powerful and moving." Consequently, as a clarification, I am guessing your message is an advisory not to further the political debate about "patriotism and nationalism" raised in another's post in this thread, which I agree would be better taken to another topic thread or back channel.

VU2014

ValpoPal you make a good point. I just thought it was a little over the top going from someone posting the huff post article about coach Buzz Williams politely showing his athletes what the National Anthem meant to our veterans and then to escalating the discussion about jabbing and lecturing about someones else's intelligence on the views of the differences between "Patriotism and Nationalism".

It's completely reasonable to bring up the moment, but I believe a little disrespectful to go after another person and its best to not go there in this particular forum because we could go way down the rabbit hole. I know I said it didn't want to bring up politics but I thought I'd address it.

valpopal

WiscoCrusader

Hold on... Let me see if I got this straight.  Bashing the Trinity students for holding up their fists is OK, solely because ValpoPal did it first and linked to an article?  But I counter his point and it's not ok because I was second, and I didn't like to an article?

I just need to say this feels like selective squashing of dissent.  Feels familiar these days so whatever, moving on.

wh

I think Commissioner has it about right:

Valparaiso 89, Trinity 75. Valpo starts with 2 games in two days, this time taking out little Trinity College. But it wasn't easy. The Trolls led by as many as 16 in the first half, and by 9 at the break. Valpo got its first lead of the game 5 minutes into the second half as part of a 22-2 run, and went on to victory. All 5 Valpo starters played at least 30 minutes. Alec Peters led the way with 36 points and 15 rebounds, and Shane Hammink had 8 points and 10 rebounds. What we've learned is Valpo's opening games is that highly touted, 7-0 redshirt freshman Derrick Smits is not ready to be a major contributor, and Valpo has a short bench. Still the Horizon favorite, but this is not as good as last year's team.

M

I agree on the Smits take... He looks soft out there in the early going.

Remember we did play without Walker, who I imagine will be back at it tomorrow night.

justducky

Quote from: wh on November 13, 2016, 10:19:51 PMWhat we've learned is Valpo's opening games is that highly touted, 7-0 redshirt freshman Derrick Smits is not ready to be a major contributor, and Valpo has a short bench. Still the Horizon favorite, but this is not as good as last year's team.
We can still be pretty good but I have already somewhat scaled down my season expectations. Lexus and Max definitely look to be improved but our new bigs will have to reliably deliver. Sure Tevonn was out, but a combination of inexperienced bigs, a short bench, and poor outside shooting could make for a difficult November and December. With that said I am still expecting some nights when we are running on all cylinders and us wondering why we can't do it every game.

Can we revise our Nov prediction poll before we all get embarrassed?  :thumbsup:

oklahomamick

It's early....We did not look like last year's team in the first two games.  But remember we play in a bad HL so we might be okay....
CRUSADERS!!!