• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2: Trinity Christian College (IL) Trolls @ The ARC - 11/12/16 @ 7:00PM

Started by govalpogo, November 12, 2016, 04:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

I also think that some credit must be given to the excellent team shooting that TCC displayed in the first half when they made 6 threes all by different players. That was one hot team that took it to Valpo. The Trolls moved the ball well in the first half and challenged Valpo more than SUU did, who relied mostly on one player.

agibson

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on November 13, 2016, 09:47:32 PM
Hold on... Let me see if I got this straight.  Bashing the Trinity students for holding up their fists is OK, solely because ValpoPal did it first and linked to an article?  But I counter his point and it's not ok because I was second, and I didn't like to an article?

I just need to say this feels like selective squashing of dissent.  Feels familiar these days so whatever, moving on.

Wisco - I don't know that it was necessarily selective squashing.

I found Valpopal's note of the Trolls' behavior interesting - I was late for the anthem and missed it. Maybe the Williams video was a little political, but respectful.

You made some good points too Wisco, but the "I would think you would have obtained a better understanding of the distinction between Patriotism and Nationalism.  Maybe you didn't pay attention that day in Geiman's class." seemed to being veering into "personal attack" territory.

I'm game for a discussion of anthem behavior and demonstrations. Or of the Williams video (I'll confess I didn't 100% understand the argument about, or the significance of, the "chairs"). I think it's pretty interesting that the Trolls spoke out (visually) during the anthem. I've been interested that, as far as I know, no Valpo players in any sports have done anything similar this season. But, maybe it's better to take the discussion to some place other than the basketball thread.

If you want to carry it on over in "Off Topic" or maybe even in "General VU" post a link here and I'll try to join in.

agibson

Quote from: M on November 13, 2016, 10:51:43 PM
Remember we did play without Walker, who I imagine will be back at it tomorrow night.

I heard some suggestion that it looked like Thursday, earliest, before he played. But maybe that was before he was cleared of the broken jaw. The whole situation did make me wonder how many use Broekhoff-style mouth guards!

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 14, 2016, 10:05:50 AM
It's early....We did not look like last year's team in the first two games.  But remember we play in a bad HL so we might be okay....

It does make you appreciate some "easy" home games. I'm optimistic that the team will gel through the season, and could be pretty impressive in March. I do like the feeling that we have so many capable offensive weapons, nobody seems like a complete liability on that end of the court. But, there might be some pretty rough games in the non-conference. Hopefully mixed in with a few pleasant surprises.