• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 - #4 Univ of Oregon @ Matthew Knight Arena, Eugene Oregon 11/17/16 8pm

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2016, 08:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Time for the guys to step it up... from Sagarin #325 and #327 to Sagarin #25 (AP #4) Oregon.... we played well there last year...

They Beat Army by 14... and Tuesday afternoon they get Baylor (2:30pm Central).   I think I have a "Meeting".

Here's the story on the Army game...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400915488

covufan

I think this Oregon team may be better than last years team.  Against less than Oregon type opponents, our 3-pt shooting has been awful.  I just hope we have a decent shooting night, stay on the boards and defense and keep this game close.

Valpo    72
Oregon  77

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on November 15, 2016, 08:19:40 AMand Tuesday afternoon they get Baylor (2:30pm Central).   I think I have a "Meeting".

ESPN2 apparently. Maybe that also means it'll be available on-demand later?

I still need to get PAC-12 figured out on my Comcast. Last year I think it was surprisingly easy to add; and I was even more surprised how easy it was to cancel later.

talksalot

Watching the Baylor-Duck game... they really do miss Dillon Brooks... who MAY be available on Thursday; or they hold him out until Maui.   I'm guessing he plays on Thursday; Ducks won't want to lose two in a row... be nice to beat them when they are at full strength!   3:50 to play in Waco... 62-48 Bears.

atkins

I think we will shoot better than we have during the past three games.  However, I don't think we have much of a shot at winning, so hopefully we can keep it within a dozen or so.  We will likely have a tough time inside defensively and offensively against them. 

M

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

QuoteOregon 80, Valpo 60.

I agree with a3uge. I think its going to be a tough night. I just haven't seen enough cohesiveness with the offense yet to see stealing a win on the road against a team of Oregon's caliber. I hope I'm wrong though.

I actually think going to the west coast and getting out of the ARC might be the best thing for the team shooting slump. Just getting out of the road and being the underdog might help clear the teams head, and make the team relax a little bit and just go out there and play. I'm not too concerned about Alec's 3 point slump. I heard he was knocking down shots left and right during the preseason. The missed lay up have been a head scratcher but I'm too worried about them either.

The one thing about Alec is that he seems to be a bit "slower" or not moving around as well these first couple games and maybe he's dealing with  some little nicks and bruises that the coaching staff isn't talking about publicly. Maybe I'm making this up in my head or something but I just don't think he's moving around as well out there. I just hope he didn't over do it in the offseason with the tryouts and NBA prep training that cause him to be a little run down for the season. If you really think about it the last year or so is probably most basketball he's played in his life. The legs might be a bit tired but it could also be that the guy played heavy minutes in 3 games in 4 days. I don't really want to make something out of nothing. I think he'll be fine though and get out of this mini slump.

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on November 16, 2016, 12:09:47 AM
QuoteOregon 80, Valpo 60.

I agree with a3uge. I think its going to be a tough night. I just haven't seen enough cohesiveness with the offense yet to see stealing a win on the road against a team of Oregon's caliber. I hope I'm wrong though.

I actually think going to the west coast and getting out of the ARC might be the best thing for the team shooting slump. Just getting out of the road and being the underdog might help clear the teams head, and make the team relax a little bit and just go out there and play. I'm not too concerned about Alec's 3 point slump. I heard he was knocking down shots left and right during the preseason. The missed lay up have been a head scratcher but I'm too worried about them either.

The one thing about Alec is that he seems to be a bit "slower" or not moving around as well these first couple games and maybe he's dealing with  some little nicks and bruises that the coaching staff isn't talking about publicly. Maybe I'm making this up in my head or something but I just don't think he's moving around as well out there. I just hope he didn't over do it in the offseason with the tryouts and NBA prep training that cause him to be a little run down for the season. If you really think about it the last year or so is probably most basketball he's played in his life. The legs might be a bit tired but it could also be that the guy played heavy minutes in 3 games in 4 days. I don't really want to make something out of nothing. I think he'll be fine though and get out of this mini slump.
I agree with everything here. But I think Alec looks far more athletic than he's ever been. He's never really been one to finish above the rim, but he's seemed to be looking to dunk much more. In the SUU game he went for a tip slam that was almost shocking. He did look a bit gassed in the Coppin State game, but I attribute that to playing 3 games in 4 days.

oklahomamick

Hate to be debbie downer but if we didn't beat them last year, we aren't beating them this year.  I understand its two different teams.  I suspect vegas will have the spread set at +15
CRUSADERS!!!

FieldGoodie05

Agreed on the athleticism.  Though he wasn't show cased last year. 

We had more proven weapons, so his aggression could've been seen (last year) as a detriment to the team. 

We are going to be hard pressed to see that sort of quality depth at VU again in the near term.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on November 15, 2016, 12:01:47 PMI still need to get PAC-12 figured out on my Comcast. Last year I think it was surprisingly easy to add; and I was even more surprised how easy it was to cancel later.

It turned on basically immediately after I placed the order. Did it last night to catch the disaster of the USMNT loss to Costa Rica on BeIN Sports.

I think I should be good for the PAC-12 network Thursday, and apparently also for the SEC for Kentucky. But, they make it remarkably hard to figure out what channels you're actually getting. Should be good for ESPNU.

Not bad for $5 or $10 (additional) a month. And, how did I miss that this includes MLS Direct Kick, which is _all_ MLS games? Seems like a marketing failure on their part to fail to mention that to me. Not much left of the season now (and maybe the rest of the playoffs are on national TV anyway). But, I might have considered it for the regular season for MLS alone...

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on November 16, 2016, 06:08:20 AMBut I think Alec looks far more athletic than he's ever been. He's never really been one to finish above the rim, but he's seemed to be looking to dunk much more.

My impression is that he's been a lot more aggressive on offense generally. His total for slam dunks may already exceed last season. He's much more likely to attempt a fade-away, or maybe even a quick three.

It's not going to help his shooting numbers, but it's going to help his PPG. Presumably a deliberate decision on his part, with some NBA input, and some discussion with the coaching staff no doubt. More BWood than RB45 maybe - not going for the high efficiency game, necessarily. Could be fun.

Valpower

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 16, 2016, 08:55:41 AM
Hate to be debbie downer but if we didn't beat them last year, we aren't beating them this year.  I understand its two different teams.  I suspect vegas will have the spread set at +15
While Valpo has some question marks, I've yet to see much from Oregon so far, especially without Brooks, who burned us for 26 points last year.  14-point win against a rebuilding Army team? Meh. Didn't look so great against Baylor, either. A decent shooting night at the perimeter will make us a different team from what we've seen so far, and it will make us a little more competitive than Army was. Now, if Brooks plays and is on his game, we'll have a challenge. Defensively, we'll miss Fernandez who had 4 blocks against them, but hopefully we can offset that offensively.

VUfan

OU 80 Vu 73 The team play on defense continues to grow but not fast enough. This teams success will come with the growth of the young Players.   :twocents:

justducky

I hate to to guess numbers but I am not optimistic. This will take big contributions from all our unproven players to just keep it close. Yes it could happen but no I would not bet on it. Either way this should give us a much better picture of potential for Micah, Derrik, and Jaume.

Valpower

Quote from: justducky on November 16, 2016, 12:28:47 PM
I hate to to guess numbers but I am not optimistic. This will take big contributions from all our unproven players to just keep it close. Yes it could happen but no I would not bet on it. Either way this should give us a much better picture of potential for Micah, Derrik, and Jaume.

I don't even know if we're going to see much of them and if we do, it means we've gotten into foul trouble or have blown them out (yeah right).  Last year, Oregon used 5 players for 33 minutes or more to beat us and we might have to do something similar.  Our top 5 scorers against them, in order, were Tevonn, AP, D Walker, Hammink, and Jubril.  Max Joseph played 11 minutes and scored no points, but the way he's been playing, he could probably replace D Walker's contribution on both ends.  As for losing Carter?  It's tough, but I'll say that I haven't had much of a problem with the way the ball has moved with Lexus and Micah.  The turnovers seem down, especially when you take away some of the suspect travel calls, and the opportunity for good shots has been there.  The key as far as keeping step with Oregon's improvements from last year will be if Tevonn is sharp after missing two games (and a question that will also apply to Oregon's Brooks, if he returns).

Valpower

Quote from: Valpower on November 16, 2016, 02:00:17 PM
Quote from: justducky on November 16, 2016, 12:28:47 PM

I don't even know if we're going to see much of them and if we do, it means we've gotten into foul trouble or have blown them out (yeah right).  Last year, Oregon used 5 players for 33 minutes or more to beat us and we might have to do something similar.  Our top 5 scorers against them, in order, were Tevonn, AP, D Walker, Hammink, and Jubril.  Max Joseph played 11 minutes and scored no points, but the way he's been playing, he could probably replace D Walker's contribution on both ends.  As for losing Carter?  It's tough, but I'll say that I haven't had much of a problem with the way the ball has moved with Lexus and Micah.  The turnovers seem down, especially when you take away some of the suspect travel calls, and the opportunity for good shots has been there.  The key as far as keeping step with Oregon's improvements from last year will be if Tevonn is sharp after missing two games (and a question that will also apply to Oregon's Brooks, if he returns).
Another key will be for AP to be a more aggressive inside.  He only took 9 shots (7 being from the perimeter) compared to Brooks 24 and Valpo attempted a home-cooking total of 6 free-throws versus 24 for the cooks.

vufan75

Per ESPN'S Andy Katz on Dillon Brooks return to play.

Oregon expects Dillon Brooks to play Monday in Maui against Georgetown. Brooks could still technically play against Baylor today or Valpo this week, but the target is Maui. He has heeled from broken foot and has been practicing well. Baylor game will be a test for Oregon to see how well it can handle physical play.

Andy Katz, ESPN Senior Writer
Per ESPN article on various CBB teams dated November 15th.

VULB#62

VUOR63

As a Valpo alum in Oregon, I feel obligated to post the latest article from The Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/11/with_dillon_brooks_return_impe.html#incart_gallery

I have to work so can't make the 2 hour trip down to Eugene from Portland but it sure seemed to me like the team is starting to get a better feel for each other.  Hopefully the missed three pointers will turn into made three pointers tomorrow.

VUBBFan

It seems that the talk is Dillon is not coming back to the line-up until at least the Maui trip Which I think gives VU a slim shot if they can get hot from 3 point land. However that means they would have to turn their scoring around a lot from what they have been doing so far. That I think is going to be pretty difficult  playing and shooting from those Trees on the court.

Valpower

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 17, 2016, 12:09:09 AM
It seems that the talk is Dillon is not coming back to the line-up until at least the Maui trip Which I think gives VU a slim shot if they can get hot from 3 point land. However that means they would have to turn their scoring around a lot from what they have been doing so far. That I think is going to be pretty difficult  playing and shooting from those Trees on the court.
No, they're not going to have to turn it around "a lot" especially when we consider what they're truly capable of.  Honestly they're going to have to hit about 34% to have a chance. If they exceed that (with at least a decent defensive effort) they're probably going to have a good outcome.  Holy crap, Oregon is not the second coming, no matter the pronouncements of the press.