• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 - #4 Univ of Oregon @ Matthew Knight Arena, Eugene Oregon 11/17/16 8pm

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2016, 08:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

https://twitter.com/sbncollege/status/799268547881013248

http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2016/11/17/13664210/no-4-oregon-vs-valparaiso-how-to-watch-listen-follow-and-more

No. 4 Oregon vs. Valparaiso: How to watch, listen, follow and more Oregon looks to bounce back in a quick-turnaround game at home

by TianaAument@TianaAument  Nov 17, 2016, 7:00am PST

The Oregon Ducks return to Eugene, where they hope to bounce back after a loss at Baylor on Tuesday. They'll welcome the Valparaiso Crusaders to Matthew Knight Arena on Thursday, Nov. 17. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m. PT.

Here's everything you need to know about tonight's basketball action:

Week 2 — No. 4 Oregon Ducks (1-1, 0-0 Pac-12) vs. Valparaiso Crusaders (3-0, 0-0 Horizon)
Date: Thursday, November 17, 2016
Time: 6 p.m. PT
Place: Matthew Knight Arena (Eugene, Ore.)
TV: Pac-12 Networks
Follow Along: Live Stats; @AddictedToQuack

This season's poster is pretty swaggy.

At A Glance

Oregon Ducks (1-1, 0-0 Pac-12) — Oregon has won 26 in a row at Matthew Knight Arena, marking the longest such winning streak in school history and the fifth-longest active streak in the country. Kansas (40 games), Kentucky (39), South Dakota State (29) and Stephen F. Austin round out the top four... Oregon beat Army by double figures in the season-opener before falling at Baylor, 66-49, two days ago. In the latter, Dylan Ennis led the team with 16 points, while Chris Boucher added 12. Jordan Bell put in work on the defensive end, tallying 11 boards and four blocks to lead the team. All-conference forward Dillon Brooks was certainly missed in the setback (foot), but the team is hopeful he'll play in the Maui Invitational next week. In the meantime, fear not. A loss this early in this season is nothing to get your feathers in a bunch.

https://twitter.com/seanlarsonATQ/status/798655150227210241

Those two losses? Cal and Stanford.

Valparaiso Crusaders (3-0, 0-0 Horizon) — Head coach Matt Lottich is finding success in his first season, leading Valpo to three straight wins to open 2016-17. The Crusaders will try to make it four straight against No. 4 Oregon, but the Ducks will prove to be their greatest test yet... Valpo topped Southern Utah, 79-65, Trinity Christian, 89-75, and most recently, Copping State, 78-58. All three of those wins came at home. ... In their most recent outing, the Crusaders never trailed on their way to victory. Guard Shane Hammink totaled a team-leading 23 points along with seven rebounds, while forward Alec Peters poured in 20 points along with a team-best eight boards... Valpo was picked to win the Horizon League in the preseason poll, following a 2015-16 campaign, in which the Crusaders won a school-record 30 games, losing seven along the way.

All-Time Series

The Ducks took down the Crusaders last season on Nov. 22 in their only series meeting. Oregon trailed at the half before storming back for a 73-67 win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSKOCJA7kxM

Film Session

Below, you'll find highlights from the Ducks' most recent game. Oregon fell to Baylor on the road, 66-49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfkRjtqYGXA

SanityLost17

I think this is the type of game where we are going to miss Skara the most.  His ability to backup the 2-3-4 positions was huge.  Max should be a starter on this team based on his play so far.  However, I don't think you start him because out of Max/Micah/Lexus he is the only one with the body type to backup the 2-3 against a team like Oregon. 

vu84v2

I just don't think that Valpo is ready for this game. I hope that I am wrong but I think that there will be too many possessions in which they struggle to get good looks and Oregon will be too athletic for many of the Valpo players.

Oregon 78
Valpo 54

I would really like to be wrong on this.

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 17, 2016, 01:52:37 PM
I just don't think that Valpo is ready for this game. I hope that I am wrong but I think that there will be too many possessions in which they struggle to get good looks and Oregon will be too athletic for many of the Valpo players.

Oregon 78
Valpo 54

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FieldGoodie05

Comcast in NW suburbs of Chicago gave me $4.99/month for the sports package that includes PAC12...30 day no questions asked refund. 

12-month $4.99/month
Thereafter $9.99/month
Cancel anytime, no fees.

Took me 5-minutes, GO VU!

swiftmutiny

VULB#62

Hanging in so far.

vu84v2

I am really struggling to determine which has been worse, the officiating or the Pac 12 announcers. 9-2 on fouls so far and several horrible calls. Announcers who did no preparation on Valpo and broadcast with the quality of an 8th grader using notes from the Oregon and Pac 12 marketing department.

vu84v2

Good effort by Valpo so far. Down 37-30, but should be a little closer. Offense running way better than I expected. Defense has struggled at times, especially with transition and handling Boucher.

VUBBFan

vu84v2

Quote from: VUBBFan on November 17, 2016, 08:55:00 PM

Mute the PAC12 broadcast and tune into Todd on WVUR

Todd is great, but the audio and video would not be in sync.

wh

If Boucher comes back down to earth in the 2nd half we can probably stay in the game. The rest of their guys look pretty ordinary.

Terrible reach-in foul by Jubril to end the half.

DMvalpo18

It seems to me Valpo always has a poor shooting night when they play a ranked opponent. That's also been the story of the season so far. Frustrating.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 17, 2016, 01:52:37 PM

Oregon 78
Valpo 54

You got awfully close on this!

VUOR63

The one good thing about getting your butt kicked to a really good team like Oregon is that it gets you ready to play in Vegas.  I haven't seen many other teams this season but Oregon looked damn good.  It didn't help that Baylor beat them on Tuesday to light a fire under them...

valpotx

We are just embarrassing with our 3-pointers right now after 4 games.  I didn't mind the refs or the announcers.  What did bother me was how afraid we were to attack the lane in the second half, and ending up with only 5 assists because of it.  The positives were that we didn't turn the ball over much, and we played pretty good defense for the most part, though our blocking out needs a lot of work.  I said it last season, but Hammink has such a good looking stroke from 3, but it is such a heavy shot, that it doesn't leave much room for error.  When he lines up, you start to think, 'this guy can shoot and make that,' and then you get a CLANK :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Boucher opened a can of whoopa$$ on us tonight.  He was unstoppable and we are showing extreme struggles shooting the 3.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

justducky

When you are getting spanked you usually try to get your freshmen in the game instead of trying to let your star shoot his way out of a slump. Leaving Alec in the game to be a chucker was equally unconventional and ugly. I have to wonder if Matt given a second chance would play it that way again.   ???

a3uge

I predicted a 20 pt valpo loss, but people explaining this game as "embarrassing" need to reexamine their college basketball fanhood.

valpotx

I didn't say that the game was embarrassing, I said that our 3 point shooting is embarrassing through 4 games.  Not even close to the same thing.  I didn't come away from this game in a negative mindset at all, other than thinking that we need to do less jump shooting, and more drives (but not through the defenders).
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

It was not even close and Chris Boucher made Vashil look like a freshman.
We are not ready for prime time and, actually. We msy be more ready next season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

atkins

We are squarely mediocre at this point.  I fear that Kentucky will easily blow us out by at least 30 if we don't improve substantially by that game.  Who knows what will happen in Vegas, but I hope lady luck shows up soon.

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on November 17, 2016, 10:21:08 PMI didn't say that the game was embarrassing, I said that our 3 point shooting is embarrassing through 4 games.
Our outside shooting is embarrassing but we also have no inside defense coupled with no inside offense. Sorolla and Smits need to be force fed minutes to speed their development and I see no other avenue to late season super respectability. If we really needed a late game designated chucker then Micah as a freshman should have received that honor.

This can still be a very good team but there is much to do and miles of rough road to travel.