• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-15 Season

Started by classof2014, October 10, 2014, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 23, 2015, 04:47:19 PM
Quote from: covufan on January 23, 2015, 04:25:41 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2015, 08:47:16 PM
Anybody else notice that we've already won as many games as we did all last year (final 18-16) !!  Lots of work to do!!

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 22, 2015, 09:07:42 PM
gosh, i hope we don't lose 13 in a row

If we do, we know where to start the blame chain...

-Our super weak OOC schedule, next season we schedule 8 high major programs all with RPIs better than 25
-The refs for allowing the other team's PG to shoot 24 FTs in each of our remaining games
-The HL for letting the wrong Chicago team go
-The other team's coaches, because they're awful
-Tom Brady for deflating the balls
-The athletic department for not having a nice enough stadium
-THE FANS for not coming out to senior day despite the 10 game losing streak.
-The new Hockey team for distracting our players attention and recruiting Alec to come play for them.
A good start!

classof2014

This is a bit off topic but newcomer of the year award should go to EVN

He's coming off double hip surgery and didn't start playing again till the very beginning of the season. Right now he's our starting PG, which isn't his natural position, every game he's improved from having 6 turnovers against CSU to only 1 against GB. He was able to hold Sykes to one of his worst games of the season going 4-17 for only 11 points. If EVN can keep up the steady improvement until the end of the season, he can have a very special February and March.

Losing KC could've been absolutely disastrous, perhaps this could be a blessing in disguise. Assuming KC is fully recovered come March, EVN can play a pivotal role in Valpo's title dreams this season. He has proven he can be a shut-down defender and can run the offence.

Is KC a better PG? Of course, in my mind he's just behind Keifer in the HL. If we want to win the tourney we need a healthy KC but the increased role for EVN has played huge in his development, and is making a case for newcomer of the year. 

LaPorteAveApostle

i'm not sure if you mean for the whole HL (?!?) or just VU, but surely he can't even be that on a team with Tevonn on it.

If there were a "Comeback Player of the Year" like in pro sports, then certainly I agree with you.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

When you think about how close the GB game was, against a very experienced team on their home floor, it is truly amazing what our team has accomplished, or what the coaches have accomplished this year. At several points in that game we had three freshman playing at the same time.  Our top two points are out and Alec was playing on a bad wheel. We have to be the favorite to win the conference title if you talk to anyone with half a brain, and includes Grizz! (at least the half a brain part!)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on January 26, 2015, 04:42:06 PMWe have to be the favorite to win the conference title if you talk to anyone with half a brain, and includes Grizz! (at least the half a brain part!)
Well if Grizz enjoys being abused and comes here specifically for that reason then I am sure that our recent interactions are making him very, very happy!  ;)  ::)

Kyle321n

Quote from: classof2014 on January 26, 2015, 04:14:02 PM

I think they got rid of newcomer and now give it out to Freshman of the Year. And if anyone is going to win that it's Paris Bass. I'll give you a moment to look at what he's done this season while collecting 4 FotW awards.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Quote from: justducky on January 26, 2015, 05:00:05 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 26, 2015, 04:42:06 PMWe have to be the favorite to win the conference title if you talk to anyone with half a brain, and includes Grizz! (at least the half a brain part!)
Well if Grizz enjoys being abused and comes here specifically for that reason then I am sure that our recent interactions are making him very, very happy!  ;)  ::)

Yesterday, my wife challenged me to keep from saying anything negative about anyone for 1 week. Please do me a favor and don't engage Grizz while I'm going through withdrawals.

The things one does to keep peace in the family.  :(

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 26, 2015, 05:00:20 PMI think they got rid of newcomer and now give it out to Freshman of the Year.

Somehow it seemed like it'd gone the other way around.  But, right you are.

classof2014

One thing that separates this team from past years teams is the defense. Even in our 4 losses the defense has played well and it was mostly our offense that struggled.

We have never given up more than 76 point in regulation (Oakland had 71 at the end of regulation). The highest points against in regulation came in our first game where we still won by 14. 90-76, so that was our second best offensive output, scored 93 twice (Maine and Murray St). When we score more than 50 points we are 19-1, getting to the 50 point plateau isn't very difficult either. Our defense is one of the best in the conference and that's the reason behind our 19-4 record.

We have over a 100 more boards than the next closest team in the league, YSU 892 vs 782, we are first in the league in blocks, just ahead of GB but second in BPG (GB is 1st). 4th in the league in steals.  And 3rd in TOs forced per game.

Our offensive numbers are some of the best in the league as well but what really separates this this team is the tenacity on defense. There's a reason behind our 19-4 record and the answer is quite simple our defense has been stellar.

covufan

Quote from: classof2014 on January 28, 2015, 09:31:47 AMOne thing that separates this team from past years teams is the defense.
I agree.  GB also has a good defense.  That is the reason for the offensive stats in the first game at GB.

Ken Pomeroy         
            Record      Ranking     AdjO        AdjD   Tempo
2014-15   19   4     54           103.3        92.4   64.4
2013-14   18   16   169          102.3      103.2   64.9
2012-13   26   8     63           108.9        98.9   65.6
2011-12   22   12   147          102.9       101.4   64.4
2010-11   23   12   107          104.1        98.8   67.2
2009-10   15   17   174          109.4      109.4   68.9
2008-09    9    22   216            98.3      103.1   64.4
2007-08   21   14   128          106.5      101.6   67.3
2006-07   16   15   149            98.7        97.9   65.5
2005-06   17   12   174          103.4      105.3   70.6
2004-05   15   16   202           102        107.1   66.9
2003-04   18   13   146            98.3        97.8   70.8
2002-03   20   11   95           102.4        95.4   68.3
2001-02   24    8    51           108.8        97.4   70.4

From Pomeroy, this is by far our best defensive team in many years.  I don't have a subscription to Pomeroy, so I can't go back any further. 

valpo4life

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 26, 2015, 05:00:20 PM

I think they got rid of newcomer and now give it out to Freshman of the Year. And if anyone is going to win that it's Paris Bass. I'll give you a moment to look at what he's done this season while collecting 4 FotW awards.

Agreed, Bass has been very good this season. I can't remember, is there an All Freshmen team? Or All Newcomer team? Or none at all?

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpo4life on January 28, 2015, 02:54:35 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on January 26, 2015, 05:00:20 PM

Agreed, Bass has been very good this season. I can't remember, is there an All Freshmen team? Or All Newcomer team? Or none at all?

It's all freshman.

Right now I would pick
FOY- Bass, Paris   UDM (Leads HL Fr in PPG, RPG and efficency, 2nd in APG, SPG, BPG and MPG)
1st Team - Walker, Tevonn   VALP (1st in MPG, APG, and SPG, 2nd in Efficency, and PPG)
1st Team - Skara, David   VALP
1st Team - Hayes, Jalen   OAK
1st Team - Odiase, Tai   UIC

*calls on Grizz to tell me why I'm wrong not to pick Nick Daniels and how Tevonn is a bum*

FWalum

I have to admit that watching this team play defense has really been enjoyable this year.  I think it started with Keith, Tevonn and Vashil and has become a complete team philosophy. Just watch some of the positioning that our guards take against a defender with the ball and see that they are not only defending against the offensive player attacking the basket, but they are also taking stances and creating angles that push players into the areas of the floor that we prefer while also preventing the pass.  Defensive positioning, for the most part, has been excellent for most every player.  I challenge all of you to watch the way Tevonn (and Keith when he was healthy) takes away a player's ball handling and passing tendencies and the tenacity and strength with which he plays the game. It is also a huge help that we can funnel a driving player right into Vashil's shot altering and blocking abilities.   
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo4life

I agree with almost each pick. The top four of Bass, Walker, Hayes, and Skara I think are pretty much locks. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Skara snubbed somehow. For my fifth guy, I like Grant Benzinger personally. Kid can really shoot the three ball for Wright State and has had a couple big games for them. Just had 18 at Detroit.

And to add to the defense praise. Vashil's value on that end of the court is unmatched. It allows us to get after it on the perimeter and know that if they do get beat there's a strong last line of defense. And if we're mentioning things to watch, it's the funneling not straight to Vashil, it's funneling the drive to the short corner. The positioning we use in that act keeps the driver away from the middle, while not letting a straight line drive to the rim. It may be painful to watch, but watch Green Bay's last bucket of the game. It running fade away floater from outside the paint. We're forcing tough shots like that if Vashil isn't already altering them or blocking them.

FWalum

Quote from: valpo4life on January 28, 2015, 03:32:40 PMAnd if we're mentioning things to watch, it's the funneling not straight to Vashil, it's funneling the drive to the short corner.
Excellent observation!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

talksalot

From the Valpo Atheltics FB page from earlier today... for those looking to Friday the 13th.

Mark your calendars -- ESPN has made netflex selections for Feb. 13 ‪#‎HLMBB‬ games:

- Green Bay at Valparaiso; ESPN2 at 7pm ET
- Cleveland State at Detroit; ESPNU at 8pm ET

wh

Tevonn should be a shoo-in for FOW:

Detroit   19 points on 7-13 FG, 5-6 FT, 0 TO's
Oakland 12 points on 4-7 FG, 4-4 FT, 2 TO's

Combined 15.5 PPG, 11-20 FG (55%), 9-10 FT (90%), 1 TOPG

vusupporter

Except for the fact Jalen Hayes went for 16 pts (5-9 FG) 10 assists and 3 steals at UIC, and 21 pts, 6 rebounds and 4 steals today.

wh

Quote from: vusupporter on February 08, 2015, 08:29:18 PM
Except for the fact Jalen Hayes went for 16 pts (5-9 FG) 10 assists and 3 steals at UIC, and 21 pts, 6 rebounds and 4 steals today.

True, but his team also lost head-to-head against Tevonn's.  Valpo went 2-0 for the week.  Tevonn's contributions were critical to both wins. 

Kyle321n

Quote from: wh on February 08, 2015, 08:35:00 PM
Quote from: vusupporter on February 08, 2015, 08:29:18 PM

True, but his team also lost head-to-head against Tevonn's.  Valpo went 2-0 for the week.  Tevonn's contributions were critical to both wins. 

Player of the Week and Most Valuable Player are two totally different things. While Tevonn was clearly more valuable to his team in terms of the standings, Hayes was clearly the statistically better player this week.

Since I took a look at the raw stats last week to make up my all-Frosh team let me take a look at KenPom's stats to make an all-Frosh team this week.

For my cut off I used a minimum of 18 games played and 30% of the possible minutes played. Our own Max Joseph didn't make the cut at 24.2% of the minutes played. I'm sure everyone's fine with him not being in the FOY running.

With a rough week and the top 2 guys behind him having great weeks Paris Bass has come down to earth and made it a true three man race for FoY with Jalen Hayes and Tevonn Walker. While their usage and counting stats aren't as pretty as Bass's, Hayes and Walker are currently rated at 110.9 and 107.5 with Bass being down at 94.2. That said with 28% of his team's possessions used, Bass is clearly the most valuable Freshman and his stats are hard to argue with. He's still the leading FoY candidate.

FOY- Paris Bass, UDM
1st Team- Jalen Hayes, OAK
1st Team- Tevonn Walker, VU
1st Team- David Skara, VU
1st Team- Grant Benzinger, WSU

Nick Daniels, OAK (Barely making it with 30.9% MP) is just off the list, but his MPG and usage are tracking up and could pass Benzinger who has the Midas touch from beyond the arc. Of the Freshman he has the most 3s attempted and also the highest percentage hit at 45.8%. Daniels is second in 3P% and 3PM. Skara is also barely hanging on to his spot with impressive rebounding, assists and shooting from inside the arc. He also has the highest TORate among qualified freshman and a horrendous 3P%.

wh

Please take a look at conf-only stats and see how that pans out. That is a more objective assessment - comparison based on common opponents, more current. I think that's what most voters look at as opposed to stats from Mich. State or Grace college in Nov.

Kyle321n

Well looking at the conference only stats will allow me to include some who weren't previously included. I think I would change my top 5 to remove Skara and add in Daniels.

Frankly while Max has the 2nd best Offensive Rating among qualified freshmen, the 34.2% minutes played and 12.5% usage doesn't qualify him for this. Same goes for Daeshon Francis (31.8% MP, 18% usage).

If anything this would increase my likelyhood of picking Jalen Hayes as my FoY, but it's foolish to throw out what Bass did early on in the season. Benzinger's crazy 3 point shooting only gets crazier hitting 52.5% and still shooting 10 more 3s than Daniels. Daniels leads Freshmen in steal % by over half a point and Bass's rebounding, assists and usage still dominate the rest of the league's freshmen.

talksalot

From the HL website... a few minutes ago....

INDIANAPOLIS -- Oakland senior center Corey Petros (Macomb, Mich./Utica Eisenhower) has been named the Horizon League Men's Basketball Player of the Week, while his teammate freshman forward Jalen Hayes (Lansing, Mich./Sexton) has been named the Freshman of the Week, for the week of Feb. 2-8.

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/oaklands-petros-and-hayes-collect-mens-basketball-honors

wh

Boy, that Kampe is quite the charmer.

wh

The next thing you know the HL office will let Oakland host the tournament at the o'rena if they're the no.1 seed. Only kidding. I'm sure the league office was smart enough to tell Oakland at the time they made the exception to let them join the league despite not meeting the arena size requirements that in the event they host the tournament, they would have to find a larger arena so the league wouldn't risk losing tens of thousands of dollars in ticket sales. Surely the league did that, right?  Especially since Oakland was begging to get into the league, and the league was holding all the cards, right?  Surely they didn't let Greg the charmer bamboozle them with flattery about for awesome it would be to join 1 of the top 10 leagues in the country, did they?  They didn't, did they?