• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015-16 Pre-Season / In-Season Exempt Tournaments

Started by talksalot, February 10, 2015, 12:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpofan02

Quote from: vu72 on February 23, 2015, 09:00:50 PM
Quote from: Valpofan00 on February 23, 2015, 08:43:47 PM
Anyone have an idea of what the starting line up will look like next year?

I think it could be Lexus, Keith, Alec, Smits and Hammink.  Or, possibly Alec at the 5, Hammink at the 4 and E. Victor at the 3.  It all depends on how D1 ready Derrik is when he arrives.

I think the starting lineup will be very competitive. Alec will have to get stronger and bigger in order to play a successful 5. E. Victor has a good chance at starting as well

bbtds

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 23, 2015, 08:19:46 PMWhy didn't this guy get any playing time at LSU (it was LSU, right?)  Injury?  Lack of focus?  Party atmosphere? Bad coaching? Negative team atmosphere?   

I have a feeling that Hammink has a different attitude towards the party atmosphere at Valpo than he did when he arrived on the Valpo campus.

I have a feeling that being Dutch it didn't mix well with the Cajun atmosphere of Louisiana. Berbice Dutch Creole has died as a language since the last woman to speak it died about 10 years ago.

It was spoken around the area of Guyana.

Dote Te.

a3uge

I'd love Carter, Nickerson, Tevonn, Peters, Smits. I expect Nickerson to be vastly improved next year. A Carter-Nickerson-Tevonn backcourt will be deadly defensively.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on February 23, 2015, 10:55:05 PMA Carter-Nickerson-Tevonn backcourt will be deadly defensively.
Smothering! With plenty of high level defenders recharging on the bench. Should be fun to watch.

justducky

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2013/12/2/5166356/2015-16-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE

Given the Nov 22 and 24 Oregon swing timing you would have to think it could be associated with an exempt tournament. Anybody have any clues as to our intentions toward exempt tournament involvement?

justducky

Quote from: justducky on June 19, 2015, 01:01:25 PMhttp://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2013/12/2/5166356/2015-16-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE

Given the Nov 22 and 24 Oregon swing timing you would have to think it could be associated with an exempt tournament.
Oregon and Oregon St are the only remaining Pac 12 schools not listed as having an exempt tournament commitment. You can add UTSA to that uncommitted category so maybe they are a tournament game instead of a home and road agreement.

Wait! There may be more. I spotted somewhere that Oregon would be on the Baylor schedule and Baylor is the only Big 12 team not yet exempt tournament committed. Yes. Obviously Oregon and Oregon St would not meet non-conference and obviously VU and Baylor want to avoid conflict.  ::)      But---This seems like a lot of coincidences.

I guess I am starting to suspect that perhaps Scott and Bryce are working collaboratively toward piecing together an exempt tournament (which would include other as yet unnamed schools) for the good of everybody involved. Time will tell.

valpopal

I have been told McGill University in Montreal, home of Tevonn and Max, is a stop during Canadian preseason play.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on July 03, 2015, 11:11:42 AM
I have been told McGill University in Montreal, home of Tevonn and Max, is a stop during Canadian preseason play.
McGill played Indiana, Memphis, Loyola-MD and Fordham during their pre-season last year. The Redmen lost all 4 games against their NCAA opponents. They did seem to do better against Loyola-MD and Fordham losing by 5 in both of those games.

http://www.mcgillathletics.ca/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

valpopal

The Crusaders will play at Canada's Carleton University August 13. Carleton then plays Baylor on August 14.

Kyle321n

They keep teasing us with that Valpo-Baylor game...
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VULB#62

Wonder if they might hold a closed door scrimmage along the way (like the one they had with Buffalo)?

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 14, 2015, 01:47:01 PMWonder if they might hold a closed door scrimmage along the way (like the one they had with Buffalo)?
If they do I hope they don't get caught.   8-)

Quote from: justducky on June 23, 2015, 12:47:08 AMYou can add UTSA to that uncommitted category so maybe they are a tournament game instead of a home and road agreement.
UTSA now listed as a participant in the MGM Grand Main Event so if they are still coming to the ARC (Oren did not mention them in his article) then they would likely be a home and road contract. Not certain they have much appeal as an opponent because they had a poor C-USA 14-15 season and look to have lost about 50 to 60% of their scoring and minutes played. If they are on the schedule was this an act of desperation or perhaps part of a multi game planed Texas trip for 16-17? Or might we be trying to piece together a non-exempt tournament at the ARC?

Yeah, I know I ask way too many questions.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on July 14, 2015, 11:11:44 AM
The Crusaders will play at Canada's Carleton University August 13. Carleton then plays Baylor on August 14.

FYI, Carleton University is in Ottawa and is also known as Canada's Capital University. It is a public university with 26,700 students. Their athletic teams are known as the Ravens. The Ravens have won 11 of the last 13 CIS (the Canadian NCAA) championships in men's basketball. They will not be an easy win. Out of last year's NCAA opponents the IU Hoosiers were the only team to beat the Carleton Ravens. 

http://goravens.ca/news/mens-basketball/2015/06/ravens-basketball-2015-2016-schedule/

Valpo will be playing in the Can-Am Shootout. The teams Carleton are playing is Murray State on August 3, Valpo on August 13, Baylor on August 14 and Texas Tech on August 19.

The 2015-16 Carleton Ravens men's and women's basketball teams are pleased to announce their highly anticipated Can-Am Shootout schedule of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) pre-season opponents.

Men's Basketball:

The Ravens, who have won five consecutive CIS championships and eleven of the past thirteen years overall, will play a four-game exhibition schedule in August against teams from Kentucky, Indiana and Texas.

On Monday, August 3rd, the Murray State Racers will visit the nation's capital for a game against the Ravens. Last season the Racers finished 29-6, and were led by recently drafted Cameron Payne of the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder. The team was upset in the Ohio Valley Conference championship after going undefeated in regular season conference play and eventually had their season end in the National Invitation Tournament quarterfinals to Old Dominion. Murray State University is located in Murray, Kentucky.

Next up for the Ravens will be the Valparaiso Crusaders of the Horizon League on August 13th. Valpo had an outstanding 2014-15 campaign as they finished the season at 28-6, including a Horizon League title and a berth in the NCAA tournament where they lost to Maryland in the round of 64. Valpo, a private university located in Valparaiso, Indiana, will feature two Canadians in Tevonn Walker and Max Joseph. They both played at Vanier College in Montreal before committing to the Crusaders.

There will be no rest for the Ravens as the Baylor Bears of the Big 12 Conference visit the Ravens' Nest for a series of exhibition contests on August 14th. Baylor (Waco, Texas) finished the 2014-15 season with a 24-10 record, but lost a heartbreaker to Georgia State in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Recent Baylor men's basketball graduates Brady Heslip (Burlington, ON) and Kenny Chery (Montreal, QC) should be familiar to those who closely follow Canadian hoops.

Following the visit from Baylor, the Ravens will host the Texas Tech Red Raiders on August 19th. Texas Tech, situated in Lubbock, Texas, plays in the Big 12 Conference and finished last season with a record of 13-19. The team is coached by Tubby Smith, who guided the University of Kentucky Wildcats to the NCAA national championship title in 1998.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on July 14, 2015, 06:23:05 PM

FYI, Carleton University is in Ottawa and is also known as Canada's Capital University. It is a public university with 26,700 students. Their athletic teams are known as the Ravens. The Ravens have won 11 of the last 13 CIS (the Canadian NCAA) championships in men's basketball. They will not be an easy win. Out of last year's NCAA opponents the IU Hoosiers were the only team to beat the Carleton Ravens. 

http://goravens.ca/news/mens-basketball/2015/06/ravens-basketball-2015-2016-schedule/

Valpo will be playing in the Can-Am Shootout. The teams Carleton are playing is Murray State on August 3, Valpo on August 13, Baylor on August 14 and Texas Tech on August 19.

The 2015-16 Carleton Ravens men's and women's basketball teams are pleased to announce their highly anticipated Can-Am Shootout schedule of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) pre-season opponents.

Men's Basketball:

The Ravens, who have won five consecutive CIS championships and eleven of the past thirteen years overall, will play a four-game exhibition schedule in August against teams from Kentucky, Indiana and Texas.

On Monday, August 3rd, the Murray State Racers will visit the nation's capital for a game against the Ravens. Last season the Racers finished 29-6, and were led by recently drafted Cameron Payne of the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder. The team was upset in the Ohio Valley Conference championship after going undefeated in regular season conference play and eventually had their season end in the National Invitation Tournament quarterfinals to Old Dominion. Murray State University is located in Murray, Kentucky.

Next up for the Ravens will be the Valparaiso Crusaders of the Horizon League on August 13th. Valpo had an outstanding 2014-15 campaign as they finished the season at 28-6, including a Horizon League title and a berth in the NCAA tournament where they lost to Maryland in the round of 64. Valpo, a private university located in Valparaiso, Indiana, will feature two Canadians in Tevonn Walker and Max Joseph. They both played at Vanier College in Montreal before committing to the Crusaders.

There will be no rest for the Ravens as the Baylor Bears of the Big 12 Conference visit the Ravens' Nest for a series of exhibition contests on August 14th. Baylor (Waco, Texas) finished the 2014-15 season with a 24-10 record, but lost a heartbreaker to Georgia State in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Recent Baylor men's basketball graduates Brady Heslip (Burlington, ON) and Kenny Chery (Montreal, QC) should be familiar to those who closely follow Canadian hoops.

Following the visit from Baylor, the Ravens will host the Texas Tech Red Raiders on August 19th. Texas Tech, situated in Lubbock, Texas, plays in the Big 12 Conference and finished last season with a record of 13-19. The team is coached by Tubby Smith, who guided the University of Kentucky Wildcats to the NCAA national championship title in 1998.

Just saw it was in August, so well before any games can actually count.

VULB#62

Quote from: justducky on July 14, 2015, 04:47:58 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on July 14, 2015, 01:47:01 PMWonder if they might hold a closed door scrimmage along the way (like the one they had with Buffalo)?
If they do I hope they don't get caught.   8-)

If Buffalo was any measure, it should be legal as long as it is closed door is my understanding from some posts last year.  But then, it's not within the regular legal NCAA preseason, so maybe it's not legal to play another NCAA team on a "summer foreign trip."

FWalum

I guess we will know for sure about Vashil on or about July 29th when practice starts.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpofan00

Will these games be available to watch online?

Pgmado

I really don't know where this UTSA stuff is coming from. They aren't on the schedule.

a3uge

Quote from: Pgmado on July 16, 2015, 05:59:17 PM
I really don't know where this UTSA stuff is coming from. They aren't on the schedule.
It was tweeted by an AAU associated group Twitter account in Texas, which I can't really find anymore. So super legitimate and official.

justducky

Quote from: Pgmado on July 16, 2015, 05:59:17 PMI really don't know where this UTSA stuff is coming from. They aren't on the schedule.
I hope they are not. Looks like they might further weaken our OOC Strength of Schedule and that is not what we need from our remaining game openings.

wh

Murray State got smoked by Ottawa today 81-57. Not that surprising - Prohm left the cupboard pretty bare. The Racers play Carleton tomorrow.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on August 02, 2015, 10:46:30 PM

Murray State got smoked by Ottawa today 81-57. Not that surprising - Prohm left the cupboard pretty bare. The Racers play Carleton tomorrow.

Carleton lost a close game to Murray State 63-59.

Valpofan00

I'm guessing we won't be able to watch these games online?